Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Dave

Staff member
I'm completely quarantining for two weeks before my trip. I do not want to get sick right before I go. And considering how Washington state is going I'll probably have to quarantine when I get back.

So I'm sitting here feeling lousy with a sore throat, slight cough, and difficulty breathing, telling myself I don't need to get tested because it's probably lack of sleep and season allergies setting of my asthma, and then telling myself I need to get tested because of asthma.

On a lighter note, my daughter had to do yard work and asked if it would be safe to leash the 100 pound dog to a tree while she was out there. We said yes, but then she decided that the beam on our front porch would be safer. One squirrel later, and now my porch is short a beam. :censored:

Dave

Staff member
Oh god OH GOD!

I was wracking my mind to figure out where that gif came from. So I Googled "It smells like rotting death in here." The #2 link suggested was "7 different vaginal smells and why they happen"!!

WHAT THE FUCK?!? Not clicking that link. Nope. Staying blue forever.

(It never did suggest Gotham. I finally remembered but it was too late to save myself.)

The cat decided it wanted to be nocturnal and look for people to play with when we're all trying to go to bed. So today I get to feel guilty by making him stay awake most of the afternoon so maybe he'll sleep later.

It’s been a weird few days recovering and I’ve been sleeping a lot.

I went to get a drink tonight and I can’t even lift a cup without excruciating pain in my wrist and it shaking.

I have no idea what I did.

But will we still get a multipage exploration on how this recipe reminds them of Summers growing up and/or finally brought their kids over to eating real food?

I'm at that point in depression again where I'm trying my hardest at times while at work not to spontaneously start crying.

So....the new Oregon restrictions will probably make teaching in-person at my University impossible this fall. I don't know yet what the public schools will do but if they are not going to be in person, we can stay in Oz where there are all of two active cases right now. But it is too soon to tell. So we have no place lined up to live in August and no flight booked to come home. It is just a lot of anxious waiting...

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh no.

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

I just noticed I was kinda warm.

Checked the thermostat... yep... it's 80 degrees in the house and rising.

The AC is going full blast... and the air coming out of the vents is no cooler than what's going into the return.

And everything's closed tomorrow for the 3 day weekend.

Welp, I guess I'll always have the story about how my air conditioning died on the evening right before July 4th weekend in Texas >_<

I mean, do the basics. First make sure the condenser is clean and not obstructed, and all that.
Also make sure that someone hasn't run off with it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, do the basics. First make sure the condenser is clean and not obstructed, and all that.
Also make sure that someone hasn't run off with it.

--Patrick
TBH, I kinda had hoped this would have happened 3 or 4 months ago - and I hoped for a complete failure necessitating replacement. When I bought this house, I got a home warranty specifically because the A/C was approaching 20 years old.

The warranty is still in effect, it's just that it's a particularly inconvenient moment.

GasBandit

Staff member
Two weeks ago my feedly stopped getting RSS updates from Reuters. I just figured it was a temporary glitch and would come back.

But no, I learned today that Reuters has discontinued using RSS as part of a push to get people to subscribe to their content delivery service.

Oh, the news stories are still free to be read on their website... but if you actually want to consume the content in any other way, you're going to have to pay and use the app they dictate.

This is a dark day for the open web.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, re: my A/C...

Cracked open the outside unit and found a capacitor that was bulging suspiciously. Fortunately my best friend had a spare that would work. So, it's working again. Which is good, because the service guy won't be out here til monday. I'll just trade capacitors with him and sign his work order, I guess.

I did something like that at a convenience store job, once.
AC broke. Discovered the mains fuse had blown. Went to hardware store, bought replacement fuses and installed them. Cost about $6. Got written up for my trouble for not calling maintenance and letting them handle it in a week like I should've. Apparently I was supposed to let $20k in merchandise go bad while I waited rather than do it myself.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I did something like that at a convenience store job, once.
AC broke. Discovered the mains fuse had blown. Went to hardware store, bought replacement fuses and installed them. Cost about $6. Got written up for my trouble for not calling maintenance and letting them handle it in a week like I should've. Apparently I was supposed to let $20k in merchandise go bad while I waited rather than do it myself.

--Patrick
The sort of thing that drives many a story on /r/MaliciousCompliance

That late night, depressing moment when you suddenly question if the main guest star character in your second novel is a bad Asian stereotype.

Seriously, I was just thinking of it and...I don't know, it might be? And if it is, I suddenly hate my second book as much as my first.

That late night, depressing moment when you suddenly question if the main guest star character in your second novel is a bad Asian stereotype.

Seriously, I was just thinking of it and...I don't know, it might be? And if it is, I suddenly hate my second book as much as my first.
Let me just cut in here before your brain decides to be an asshole again and say you're far, far from the first artist to see their previous works in a negative light. And you will be far, far from the last.

Let me just cut in here before your brain decides to be an asshole again and say you're far, far from the first artist to see their previous works in a negative light. And you will be far, far from the last.
I know that. But I at least liked my second book. I've grown to almost completely hate the first book, but I thought the second was better written. Realizing I wrote a bad Asian stereotype just makes me feel worse. No wonder I gave up on writing.

I know that. But I at least liked my second book. I've grown to almost completely hate the first book, but I thought the second was better written. Realizing I wrote a bad Asian stereotype just makes me feel worse. No wonder I gave up on writing.
Lemme talk to Nick's brain for a sec.

Hey, you! Yeah, I'm talking to you, asshole. We see what you're trying to do to our buddy, and we don't like it one bit. So stop it right this minute, or you're in for a royal ass kicking by a whole mess of us.

My mother.

She's (in my experience and armchair psychologist opinion): a narcissist, verbally abusive, and emotionally abusive. And she's likely depressed.

Will she seek help? Nope. Because "everyone's nuts but me."

And it's so so frustrating to deal with. Because more often than not, she will gaslight me - calling me names and accusing me of things, and when called on it says "I didn't say that." Or, even more fun "I was joking, don't be so sensitive."

She still mocks me regularly for a minor typo that I made in a school project in grade 7! 23 years ago. (Among other things, this is just the most ridiculous.)
She consistently mocks @Eriol, our relationship (we've been married for almost 11 years now, much longer than she was over 2 marriages...), and his career, frequently "jokingly" asking if he "still has a job."

Most recent BS: 6 years ago, when we moved across the country, she shipped out to a storage locker in the town we started from, basically everything I had ever touched that she still had. Including old framed school photos and graduation certificates going back to elementary school. As I have been going through all this stuff (and yes, it took 6 years to work up to getting at it), she has consistently critiqued how I've gone about working through it, and disposing of it, donating it, or keeping it. She has... strong opinions on this topic. So, yesterday, I'm going through old, professionally framed, grade school photos of me. I have absolutely no interest in keeping them, didn't like them as a kid, and certainly don't now. But I know that she would probably want a copy, so I call her and give her one last chance to claim them (this would not be the first time she has taken some of her stuff back from these boxes - example: the framed copy of her university degree, which when I asked about it, she said would "make good fire-starter."). And... apparently, I'm supposed to rip off the backing on the frames, remove the pictures, keep them, and then donate the frames because "someone might want them and not be able to afford professional frames." You know, picture frames that you can't easily reattach a back to. From the early 90's (since styles haven't changed at all in 30 years...). And because I'm not willing to do that with... 12 photos, and another ~18 certificates, I'm "against charity" and "hate poor people" (or something along those lines, I forget the exact phrasing, but you get the point).

It's absurd and stupid and a constant string of bs; and I'm tired and frustrated, and I don't know what to do about it.
And purely selfishly, if she didn't have money (and a lot of it) I'd cut all ties. But I literally cannot afford to. I need that inheritance.

My mother.

She's (in my experience and armchair psychologist opinion): a narcissist, verbally abusive, and emotionally abusive. And she's likely depressed.

Will she seek help? Nope. Because "everyone's nuts but me."

And it's so so frustrating to deal with. Because more often than not, she will gaslight me - calling me names and accusing me of things, and when called on it says "I didn't say that." Or, even more fun "I was joking, don't be so sensitive."

She still mocks me regularly for a minor typo that I made in a school project in grade 7! 23 years ago. (Among other things, this is just the most ridiculous.)
She consistently mocks @Eriol, our relationship (we've been married for almost 11 years now, much longer than she was over 2 marriages...), and his career, frequently "jokingly" asking if he "still has a job."

Most recent BS: 6 years ago, when we moved across the country, she shipped out to a storage locker in the town we started from, basically everything I had ever touched that she still had. Including old framed school photos and graduation certificates going back to elementary school. As I have been going through all this stuff (and yes, it took 6 years to work up to getting at it), she has consistently critiqued how I've gone about working through it, and disposing of it, donating it, or keeping it. She has... strong opinions on this topic. So, yesterday, I'm going through old, professionally framed, grade school photos of me. I have absolutely no interest in keeping them, didn't like them as a kid, and certainly don't now. But I know that she would probably want a copy, so I call her and give her one last chance to claim them (this would not be the first time she has taken some of her stuff back from these boxes - example: the framed copy of her university degree, which when I asked about it, she said would "make good fire-starter."). And... apparently, I'm supposed to rip off the backing on the frames, remove the pictures, keep them, and then donate the frames because "someone might want them and not be able to afford professional frames." You know, picture frames that you can't easily reattach a back to. From the early 90's (since styles haven't changed at all in 30 years...). And because I'm not willing to do that with... 12 photos, and another ~18 certificates, I'm "against charity" and "hate poor people" (or something along those lines, I forget the exact phrasing, but you get the point).

It's absurd and stupid and a constant string of bs; and I'm tired and frustrated, and I don't know what to do about it.
And purely selfishly, if she didn't have money (and a lot of it) I'd cut all ties. But I literally cannot afford to. I need that inheritance.

All I can say is that you are apparently a far better person than I am. I have family members like this, but I took the policy of deciding I'm not taking their crap, and straight up told them either they behave or I'm simply not dealing with them. Some have reformed, others I've simply cut out of my life, and sure they raged and tried to pitch a fit but I just cut them off, and have been far happier since.

All I can say is that you are apparently a far better person than I am. I have family members like this, but I took the policy of deciding I'm not taking their crap, and straight up told them either they behave or I'm simply not dealing with them. Some have reformed, others I've simply cut out of my life, and sure they raged and tried to pitch a fit but I just cut them off, and have been far happier since.
I would not say 'better person'! 'stupider person' perhaps. 'person who keeps expecting change' maybe. but not 'better'!

Our company made a boo-boo on a case that led to us violating a contract with a client and getting our fee slashed. The boo-boo was caused by what would best be described as a miscommunication between three different departments, one of which is mine. In fact, I worked on the case. I could've caught the error if I'd paid more attention, even though it wasn't my job to address this issue, and there was no reason for me to suspect I'd need to look out for this error.

Every time my manager discusses this case with me, she always emphasizes it wasn't my fault, but still... I could've prevented this.

Dave

Staff member
Came into work today. I have been given a fairly sizable project. It was handed off from another guy who sent me the documentation last week late. The system I'm working on CAN be done from home but because of the VPS, it shows in like 4 point font or something equally stupid small (it tries to show my 4K as 4K but in a windowed mode. The VPS won't let me resize and IT says they can't help me.) so into the desk I came.

Not too bad, though. I can get a lot done faster here than at home. Trouble is, I've finished everything else so this new thing is what's keeping me afloat.

I look at the docs this morning and it tells me almost nothing. I mean, it gives the fields and everything, but not how I'm supposed to make the stupid thing, nor which system I need to bridge into. I sent a quick email to the guy who handed it off to me and I got this: "I'm on vacation. I'm just too lazy to put it on my calendar. I'll be back tomorrow."

So here I sit. Nothing to do. And I can't even play a game since I'm at my work PC. I'd go home, but I work my second job today at 3:30 and it's only a few miles from here whereas if I go home it's like a 20 minute drive back.

Entertain me, internet!

Entertain me, internet!
Measure the length of your fingers on both hands. Starting with the pinky express the lengths as a ratio of the fingure next to it. These 4 ratios will be the same for each hand for 5.6 sigma of the population.

Pinky/Ring
Ring/Middle
Middle/Index
Index/Thumb