Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

You could tell me why PoE crashes all the time on PS 4?

Why long haired white cats lie on the black pants you want to wear while your back is turned when there are like 100 other things for them to shed on?

Dave

Staff member
We're stretching our vacation one more day. Going to stay in Billings an extra day and drive down to Yellowstone for a long day of nature. We plotted our trip, figured out what we wanted to see, got the route all planned. It's great.

Turns out on of the main roads is completely closed. So instead of the way we're going we have to go way around everything. Probably means we won't be able to see everything we wanted to. Dang it. (First world problems, I know. But this is a whine thread, not a rant one.)

Man, my poe build is all wrong. Instead of skills to diminish anxiety I've got all these wasted points in star wars lore, and I can't respec
Your first run-through is always trash until you learn the synergies. Your next one should go much easier.

(Alternate: “Unlearn, heh. Unlearn.”)

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm having a very depressing debate in a family e-mail chain with my grandfather, one of the smartest men I know. He was on the executive board of the Texas Medical Center, and has a masters in electrical engineering. He is the largest influence in my life that got me into technology and computers in the first place.

But alas, since his retirement, he's grown ever more insulated from the happenings of the world at large and even the country, and especially over the last 5 to 10 years, has basically just been doing chores on his rural property and watching Fox News. It's turned him into inches short of a Trumper.

The "discussion" we're having right now, with various uncles and aunts and cousins silently getting bombarded with CC:s, is basically my grandfather outright rejecting that:
1) There is any problem at all with police in America today, and that BLM is anything more than lawless brigands run rampant, and
2) That COVID-19 is of any more concern than seasonal flu.

It's a tough thing, to see your personal heroes fall.

I'm having a very depressing debate in a family e-mail chain with my grandfather, one of the smartest men I know. He was on the executive board of the Texas Medical Center, and has a masters in electrical engineering. He is the largest influence in my life that got me into technology and computers in the first place.

But alas, since his retirement, he's grown ever more insulated from the happenings of the world at large and even the country, and especially over the last 5 to 10 years, has basically just been doing chores on his rural property and watching Fox News. It's turned him into inches short of a Trumper.

The "discussion" we're having right now, with various uncles and aunts and cousins silently getting bombarded with CC:s, is basically my grandfather outright rejecting that:
1) There is any problem at all with police in America today, and that BLM is anything more than lawless brigands run rampant, and
2) That COVID-19 is of any more concern than seasonal flu.

It's a tough thing, to see your personal heroes fall.
My mother is literally terrified that the democrats are starting riots to make Trump look bad, and they are going to go out of control and they won't be able to reign then in and we'll all die. Fox News fucking sucks.

(As if Trump needs any fucking help looking bad)

Dave

Staff member
Came into work today. I have been given a fairly sizable project. It was handed off from another guy who sent me the documentation last week late. The system I'm working on CAN be done from home but because of the VPS, it shows in like 4 point font or something equally stupid small (it tries to show my 4K as 4K but in a windowed mode. The VPS won't let me resize and IT says they can't help me.) so into the desk I came.

Not too bad, though. I can get a lot done faster here than at home. Trouble is, I've finished everything else so this new thing is what's keeping me afloat.

I look at the docs this morning and it tells me almost nothing. I mean, it gives the fields and everything, but not how I'm supposed to make the stupid thing, nor which system I need to bridge into. I sent a quick email to the guy who handed it off to me and I got this: "I'm on vacation. I'm just too lazy to put it on my calendar. I'll be back tomorrow."

So here I sit. Nothing to do. And I can't even play a game since I'm at my work PC. I'd go home, but I work my second job today at 3:30 and it's only a few miles from here whereas if I go home it's like a 20 minute drive back.

Entertain me, internet!
Mother fucker took today off as well. I'm supposed to get this project done by the time I leave Friday and it will probably take a week to do. I am pretty sure I'm fucked for my deadline.

Dave

Staff member
My boss is out this week so it makes no difference. There's another guy in my department who is essentially the #2 guy and he's well aware of what's going on.

since his retirement, he's grown ever more insulated from the happenings of the world at large and even the country, and especially over the last 5 to 10 years, has basically just been doing chores on his rural property and watching Fox News playing Satisfactory 2.
Like this wouldn’t be you in forty years.

That said, one of my wife’s merry-go-round exes ended up marrying one of my bestest friends, and when that friend of mine died a bit ago and left him with a significant life insurance payout, he announced his engagement to someone else just 9 days later, moved in with her, plowed his new fortune right into her struggling business, and has been lighting up Facebook ever since with the most racist, misogynistic, and patently screwball conspiracy theory rants you can imagine.

And it legitimately pains me to watch my wife try again and again to drag his bipolar ass back from that brink while his new “wife” straps greased roller skates onto his feet and gives him a big shove in the wrong direction.

—Patrick

Love having life constantly remind me what a piece of crap I am.
I know that already, not being kicked while I'm down every once in a while would be nice.

Been incredibly depressed the last few days. Didn't do anything by play Surviving Mars all day yesterday. Didn't eat (wasn't even hungry) and was up until 5 AM. Now my sleeping schedule will be all fucked up. Not that it matters.

Driving along this morning, I noticed the warning lights on my dash were acting a little weird. The security lockout light wasn't going off; my lane departure warning light was off; my collision avoidance light was staying on even when I was at a stoplight. I didn't think anything of it until we stopped in at the new BoSa Donuts place by our house. Got us some goodies, then went back out into the Arizona noonday sun and turned the car on...

clickclickclickclick

Dead. Turned out the battery was at under 3/4ths total amps, and voltage was only at 11 (which isn't good).

After driving over to the dealership, they saw it was a Duralast battery and suggested I take it to AutoZone to see if it was still under warranty. Nope, warranty doesn't transfer when the vehicle is sold.

Soooo new battery time. It was cheaper to buy the battery at AZ than it likely would have been at the dealer, at least.

But between waiting for a jump and all the driving around, there went my afternoon.

I have a tiny little bit of stomach discomfort, and symptoms of having eaten too damn many pepperoni sticks over the last week, but with the virus around, my anxiety is throwing my mind into overdrive.

I have a tiny little bit of stomach discomfort, and symptoms of having eaten too damn many pepperoni sticks over the last week, but with the virus around, my anxiety is throwing my mind into overdrive.
Take a deep breath.

Does it hurt to do so?

If so, go take your temperature.

If it's high, and you've noticed coughing, THEN you need to get your ass to the doctor.

Otherwise, take a few more deep breaths and RELAX.

Take a deep breath.

Does it hurt to do so?

If so, go take your temperature.

If it's high, and you've noticed coughing, THEN you need to get your ass to the doctor.

Otherwise, take a few more deep breaths and RELAX.
Yep, it's all good, it's just my GERD acting up - no surprise with all the coffee, toking, stress, and eating really bad food (there are just so, so many empty pepperoni stick tubs. So, so many).

Once again, I'm feeling like my life is at the mercy and whims of forces beyond my control. Every time I've tried to assert any semblance of authority over my own existence, I'm quickly slapped down and put back in my place.

Being allowed "due to Covid" to have the wedding venue twice for the same price is all well and good, but all the other costs aren't suddenly gone. We're doing the math now and just on the open bar being twice as expensive, we're easily down €2000 compared to our budget. And we're already using a loan from my brother to pay for it all. Anyone happen to have a few grand lying around doing nothing? 'cause I have no clue how we're supposed to magic the extra money from thin air. Ugh.

Being allowed "due to Covid" to have the wedding venue twice for the same price is all well and good, but all the other costs aren't suddenly gone. We're doing the math now and just on the open bar being twice as expensive, we're easily down €2000 compared to our budget. And we're already using a loan from my brother to pay for it all. Anyone happen to have a few grand lying around doing nothing? 'cause I have no clue how we're supposed to magic the extra money from thin air. Ugh.
Need me to marry you guys over the Internet? I'm sure I could get ordained as something or another in time.

It'd sooner be in English :p French is my third language.
We did our little event in german and english, changing laguage and speaker about every other sentence; of course we officially had american friends online. It wasn't a big ceremony though, only exchange of vows and rings. Took about 12 minutes.