Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
Today has been a colossal waste of time. I've mostly sat here waiting for networking guys to fix networking stuff - and they don't respond to e-mails in a very timely manner. And of course they won't give out their number, because if people could call them to get status updates they couldn't ignore in an inbox... they might actually have to do work.

I ordered something online, payed for 3-5 day shipping. Got an email with a tracking number saying it would arrive last Wednesday the 18th. Morning of the 18th, tracking showed it had arrived and was scanned at the UPS facility 10 minutes from my house.

Guess who still doesn't have her package.

GasBandit

Staff member
I ordered something online, payed for 3-5 day shipping. Got an email with a tracking number saying it would arrive last Wednesday the 18th. Morning of the 18th, tracking showed it had arrived and was scanned at the UPS facility 10 minutes from my house.

You know, that happened to me a couple months ago, too. It NEVER got here. I had to get a refund and have another one sent. The second time I didn't pony up for fast shipping, and it arrived at my door in 2 days.

Shysters.

We need to let our dog go to heaven and be reunited with all his friends and siblings. His hind legs just keep giving out on him, he can just barely get up and walk a bit before he goes back down, otherwise he just drags himself around by his front paws. He's 15, he's had an AMAZING life filled with love and joy and he's brought so much of both to myself and my girlfriend, but he has no quality of life left.

It happens at home on Monday, at 4 PM. Earliest available time. The next few days are gonna be about celebrating his life. At least he's in absolutely no pain. His body's just too beat up.

He will be missed so, SO much... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

We need to let our dog go to heaven and be reunited with all his friends and siblings. His hind legs just keep giving out on him, he can just barely get up and walk a bit before he goes back down, otherwise he just drags himself around by his front paws. He's 15, he's had an AMAZING life filled with love and joy and he's brought so much of both to myself and my girlfriend, but he has no quality of life left.

It happens at home on Monday, at 4 PM. Earliest available time. The next few days are gonna be about celebrating his life. At least he's in absolutely no pain. His body's just too beat up.

He will be missed so, SO much... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
It's over. At 4 AM, on 29 November, 2020, at the Alta Vista Animal Hospital Emergency Care in Ottawa, Lucky left us to go to the stars. We took him there because his heart stopped for a minute then started again but he couldn't move anymore. To keep him going longer would have been torture. He somehow mustered the strength to walk over to his final blanket and lie down. At no point was he in any pain, and there is solace in that. He had a GREAT day on Thursday and a great evening on Friday. On Saturday, everybody came to say goodbye.

He will be cremated soon with his two favourite blankets, his favourite stuffed animal and a photo of the three of us with a message from his mom and dad.

Godspeed, my son. You will be missed more than you can know. Don't be a stranger.

Yeah, but I've always seen the Rant threads as being more mad than sad, y'know? But thank you for the sentiment, Frank.

And all of you, thank you for the hugs. We appreciate them.

Brookie* will greet him coming over the rainbow bridge. She doesn't do that for every doggie, though, so know he's special.

* - The one before the cat in the avatar.

I feel suckered.

An old friend asked me to help her kid out with college-level coding. No problem, I think. She says the code is c++ (which I know really well). Not surprised, because a lot of colleges use c++ to get people's feet wet in coding. I had to do a c++ course myself at WGU. So I say "tell me what you're having trouble with, and I'll give you some tips".

So she sends me her assignment, and says she doesn't really understand loops. But when I look, it's not C++. It's MATLAB. I don't know MATLAB. But coding is coding, and usually it's just syntax tweaks that make the difference between languages, so I dig into it.

The assignment is fairly complex. I look at the code she's written. It's not even close. Almost everything is wrong. About the only thing that is correct is the loop syntax. After looking it over, and seeing simply fundamental misunderstandings of nearly every other basic coding concept, I'm left wondering "This is a complex assignment. This is not a beginner assignment. How did she get this far with these problems?"

I suspect she's been having others do the work for her until this point, and now I'm just one of a long line of suckers that has done her homework for her.

But I'm not about that. Instead, I wrote her a few paragraphs on concepts she was failing to grasp and said "good luck!"

I was working on a drawing this morning, and the damn power when out just long enough to lose the last half-hour's work. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

And before you say it, yes, I do frequently back up my work, which it why I didn't lose all my work from this morning. But I had just finished a really detailed spot and was about to save.....arrrrgghhhhhhhhhh I need chocolate.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was working on a drawing this morning, and the damn power when out just long enough to lose the last half-hour's work. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

And before you say it, yes, I do frequently back up my work, which it why I didn't lose all my work from this morning. But I had just finished a really detailed spot and was about to save.....arrrrgghhhhhhhhhh I need chocolate.
Why do you not have a UPS?

I've got my pc and plex server on a ups, and my aerogarden on another---because it's a bitch to get things back on the proper day/night cycle if you lose power and it thinks you're starting over.

A few months ago I made coding eror that created a few records in a table. I realized my mistake and deleted those rows. Today they told me that one of those records was valid. It wasn't created because another unrelated error, but our audit says that I deleted it. Now I have to justify it.

SO.

I called the company this weekend, hoping they would have better luck, or maybe able to replace my order. No such luck for either. Item is sold out again. I waited two months for it not to be out-of-stock. They gave me a refund and a coupon for 20% off. Oh well.

...GUESS WHOSE PACKAGE SHOWED UP TODAY OUT OF NOWHERE.
And now I get it for free! :D

You know, I can accept having to jump through all kinds of hoops just to get on a plane. And I can accept being imprisoned in a hotel room for two weeks surrounded by smurfs who want to tickle my brain through my nose. That's all fine.

But a 24-hour layover in an airport where they've closed down every place which sells beer or any kind of alcohol (save duty free outlets)? That is just cruel and inhumane.