Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Also,"abandoning them all to their echo chambers" is never going to change anyone's mind or help heal the world.
I often don't engage, either, because, well, it seems hopeless/useless. You kind of have to hope that occasionally someone'll get through to someone, though.
This is an easy thing to say, but after months of getting shouted down and told stupid shit like "Clearly school taught you wrong and that's why you don't agree with me," you just get tired and don't even fucking bother anymore because it's not worth the mental energy.

Also,"abandoning them all to their echo chambers" is never going to change anyone's mind or help heal the world.
I often don't engage, either, because, well, it seems hopeless/useless. You kind of have to hope that occasionally someone'll get through to someone, though.
Nah. Social progress comes about less from the marketplace of ideas, but from old people dying out.

This is an easy thing to say, but after months of getting shouted down and told stupid shit like "Clearly school taught you wrong and that's why you don't agree with me," you just get tired and don't even fucking bother anymore because it's not worth the mental energy.
I know. Like I said I honestly don't always engage either.
My parents are both well educated, smart, we're not in the USA and all that, and even so I can see them slipping. Or right wing isn't as good at controlling the media yet, but still.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nah. Social progress comes about less from the marketplace of ideas, but from old people dying out.
I'm finding that more and more. Nobody ever changes their mind about anything.

Or more specifically, everything that came about before you were 18 is normal and mundane. Everything that comes about between your 18th and 40th year is new and exciting. Everything that comes about after you are 40 is an abomination and must be fought tooth and nail.

Old people dying out only sort of works. You can see plenty of younger people who carry on their ideas. A common trend actually seems more to be education level and world experience. Which is why the right cries about education being liberal brain washing. The more people are taught to think for themselves and question everything, and the more exposure they have to the wider world, the more ground conservatives lose.

everything that came about before you were 18 is normal and mundane. Everything that comes about between your 18th and 40th year is new and exciting. Everything that comes about after you are 40 is an abomination and must be fought tooth and nail.
I’m more inclined to believe this is not a biological “when you are xx years old, your attitude will be yy**” so much as an artifact of the differences between the prevailing attitudes towards education in the ‘00s, in the ‘80s, and in the ‘60s. In other words, it’s not as much about “being 70” as it is about “being in school 55 years ago.”

—Patrick
**yes I know that old age will predispose a person towards a more conservative “Back in my day...” mindset, but I don’t see that by itself as sufficient to completely explain what we’re seeing today.

Old people dying out only sort of works. You can see plenty of younger people who carry on their ideas. A common trend actually seems more to be education level and world experience. Which is why the right cries about education being liberal brain washing. The more people are taught to think for themselves and question everything, and the more exposure they have to the wider world, the more ground conservatives lose.
It's not a perfect thing, it's gradual but it improves. There are obviously 75 year old leftists and 20 year old fascists but if every 75+ year old was suddenly dead, this country would vote farther left, and if every 25 and younger person died, it'd vote farther right.

Or in another way to phrase it wrt the elderly: Some, im sure, are good people.

There's no trader joes near me.

Plus, you know, I'm not part of the Trader Joes cult (I keed, I keed), so I have never tasted their cookies, nor their cookie butter. I have tasted biscoff cookies, though, and (as expected) the butter is divine.

GasBandit

Staff member
Today was a terrible day at work. It was 12 hours long and I didn't take a lunch. 3 of those hours were driving. Another 3 were undoing a mistake I made in configuring some hardware that made them disable all their network ports. They were in the ceiling, and I nearly fell off the ladder trying to get them out more than once. I tried to text my best friend about it, and said "I fucked up" as part of the message. Oops, I didn't text that to my friend, I texted it to the point of contact person of the client for this project. I apologized when I realized my mistake, but she took offense and complained to her account rep with my company. Gonna be waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one, I guess. By 6:30pm the job was still only 85% done and I had to call it and drive the hour and a half home. On the way, I got a notification that I received an e-mail from my grandfather, with the subject heading still the same Re: Re: Re: Subject of the big political blowup from a couple days ago, and I haven't opened it yet because I don't have the energy and emotional fortitude to deal with it right now.

At least the remaining 15% of the project is nonessential, so it can wait until I go back to that site next week. I have tomorrow off. I took it off because I need a day to tend to my car. Guess I'll also be using it to tend to my mental state as well.

Look head office, just because you like to romance the rottweiler like it's Valentines Day with a micky of funky cold medina, doesn't mean we do the same.

One of my hot female coworkers from the sales department left the company today. She used to ask me for help when she was writing English emails. Now who'll ask me for help and tell me I'm awesome?

One of my hot female coworkers from the sales department left the company today. She used to ask me for help when she was writing English emails. Now who'll ask me for help and tell me I'm awesome?
Hey Bhamv, you awesome person you, have I told you how hot you are recently?
Could you help me translate "I'm desperate for affection, please hold me" in something Asian-sounding, please?

Hey Bhamv, you awesome person you, have I told you how hot you are recently?
Could you help me translate "I'm desperate for affection, please hold me" in something Asian-sounding, please?
Why thank you!

And your phrase can be roughly translated as 我的母親是隻倉鼠,而且我的父親聞起來像接骨木漿果.

I am pretty sure that I am the last student in our French class. We were four and the teacher....

one woman ever returned after week one

a second one left after week two

this morning, the last other student said she le has full time work...

Omg

As if last night wasn't bad enough, I get out to my car this morning and the car was dead. Emergency roadside comes out, informs me it's the battery.

The battery - which I just purchased back in July - had a cell inside go bad.

No, the car hadn't sat at all, so nothing should have drained the battery, and the charging system tested out OK.

Yeah, so my day so far's been great.
Woke up, read American newspapers and websites, died a ittle inside to see my expectations being met.
Went upstairs, found the doggie with diarreah who had managed to keep it all inside! All night! Until he saw me, got enthousiastic, and sprayed liquid shit all over the kitchen floor.
Went to walk the dogs, the one with diarreah sprayed crap all over my shoes, and while trying to wipe that off, the scared and twitchy one managed to run away; queue a 3-block chase with a lot of close calls with cars that were luckily only going 30kph. I'm pretty sure the small black doggie in the dark is now on her third life or something.
Came back, made some tea. Spilled tea all over my pants.
Made some new tea, took it up to my office. Found out my thermos isn't water tight anymore, the rubber's probably worn through. Got the stairs and my desk covered in tea.
Want down to the kitchen to get the dogs to take them up to my office. Was greeted by a big puddle of dog shit on the parquet in the living room. Seriuosly doggie, I like you but ugh.
Start to work. Also boot up my personal PC. Boot error. Restart. Something is suddenly making a weird noise inside the box. Restarted....Seems ok now.
Walk the crapping dog. Come back home to find the other one...Well, after about a 10 minute search. She's suddenly decided she doesn't mind taking the stairs, and was hiding on a different floor, in the dark, beneath a closet. Awesome.
Go to the kitchen for lunch. I'll have some sandwiches and eggs. Test the eggs to see if they're still good (that is, put 'm in a glass of water - bad ones'll float, good ones sink). Break an egg by putting it in a glass of water (How?!). Guess I'll have one egg instead of two.
Come back upstairs to the office to eat my lunch. Manage to grab the shitting dog just as he's about to release a stream onto the carpet; get half of it on my clothes instead.
I'm actually pretty sure I'm still forgetting a few other minor things. But....You know. One of those days.

Incidentally, @Bubble181 , you know anyone who's had issues with the electricals on their Vauxhall/Opel Mokka and/or whatever else it may be called over there?
My godmother had a Mokka for 6 or 7 years and never had any issues with it; she's recently replaced it with something smaller after her partner died. Otherwise, no, not really, sorry. Maybe the Opel versions are better than the Buick or whatever the US version is called?