Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Quarantine has gotten to my loneliness. I've written and sent two ill-advised, sappy apology messages to former friends who I had a falling out with and haven't spoken to in years.

One of them actually replied favorably and we're talking again... and I kinda now regret it because this experience is reminding me why we stopped talking.

In all fairness to my reputation, I've *never* tied to trick a girl with that line. I've always had the philosophy that if she wasn't enthusiastic about sleeping with me, then I wasn't interested. No wheedling, whining, tricking, or cajoling.
That may be, but now I'm going to think twice if you ever offer to make me a sandwich.

$900 for tires on the wife's truck. Guess who is going to have to put off getting an RTX 3080 even when they are available now?

Or, to put it another way, who has two thumbs and is sobbing quietly in the corner staring at his new and incompletely built PC? This guy!
I have a 750ti I just replaced with a 1660super. If you want to pay for shipping (from Canada to the us isn't cheap though)

Edit
FedEx says it would be about $30 canadian

Last edited:
I JUST posted this on reddit yesterday:

View attachment 35908

--Patrick
We have a knife set, because my wife insisted. I still use my old chef's knife (that I had before we got together) for 90% of my cutting, but it was dirty so I used the knife designated as a 'slicer' this time. I keep my knives wicked sharp, having a motorized sharpening tool as well as a whetstone set. Usually dull knives are the most dangerous, but in this case, the tomato rolled on me half-way through slicing it, and..well, whoops. It happens.

It looks like my kitty has a UTI. I won't get the results back until tomorrow but the vet said that was his guess. Very much hoping it is since that's a $70 antibiotic vs a several thousand dollar surgery for a blockage (though the vet said he saw no signs of a blockage).

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm having a very depressing debate in a family e-mail chain with my grandfather, one of the smartest men I know. He was on the executive board of the Texas Medical Center, and has a masters in electrical engineering. He is the largest influence in my life that got me into technology and computers in the first place.

But alas, since his retirement, he's grown ever more insulated from the happenings of the world at large and even the country, and especially over the last 5 to 10 years, has basically just been doing chores on his rural property and watching Fox News. It's turned him into inches short of a Trumper.

The "discussion" we're having right now, with various uncles and aunts and cousins silently getting bombarded with CC:s, is basically my grandfather outright rejecting that:
1) There is any problem at all with police in America today, and that BLM is anything more than lawless brigands run rampant, and
2) That COVID-19 is of any more concern than seasonal flu.

It's a tough thing, to see your personal heroes fall.
This has circled back around and turned ugly now. My grandfather has bought fully into the fox news line, and is convinced that Hunter Biden's "laptop" is the smoking gun that proves he is right to support Trump. And he e-mails it to the whole family, me included.

And you guys know me, I just can't leave well enough alone. Did I really need to reply-all and do a huge infodump of everything I already know he'll never believe because it would require him to realize he's been duped on such a massive scale? No, but I did it anyway. With the usual GasBandit flourishes and embellishments you all have come to know so well.

And now I'm sick to my stomach because my grandfather and I are the closest we've ever come to estranged, and I love that man, flaws and all. I hate the wool that's been pulled over his eyes, and I hate that I just had to get my licks in in front of the whole family.

Guess I'm probably not invited over for thanksgiving this year.

This has circled back around and turned ugly now. My grandfather has bought fully into the fox news line, and is convinced that Hunter Biden's "laptop" is the smoking gun that proves he is right to support Trump. And he e-mails it to the whole family, me included.

And you guys know me, I just can't leave well enough alone. Did I really need to reply-all and do a huge infodump of everything I already know he'll never believe because it would require him to realize he's been duped on such a massive scale? No, but I did it anyway. With the usual GasBandit flourishes and embellishments you all have come to know so well.

And now I'm sick to my stomach because my grandfather and I are the closest we've ever come to estranged, and I love that man, flaws and all. I hate the wool that's been pulled over his eyes, and I hate that I just had to get my licks in in front of the whole family.

Is your Grandfather the odd one out in the family as far as his viewpoints or is the rest of the family on a similar thought process as him?

GasBandit

Staff member
Is your Grandfather the odd one out in the family as far as his viewpoints or is the rest of the family on a similar thought process as him?
There are at least one or two others that probably agree with him, and one or two who vehemently oppose him. Most however have just been keeping quiet and keeping their heads down, like I probably should have.

Also,"abandoning them all to their echo chambers" is never going to change anyone's mind or help heal the world.
I often don't engage, either, because, well, it seems hopeless/useless. You kind of have to hope that occasionally someone'll get through to someone, though.

You have bad people in your family. They will never be changed. They will be shitty people until they die. Whether the relationship is worth it is up to you, but you will never change that they're bad people and no good will come from trying. Accept this and your life will be happier.

This is from experience

I love that man, flaws and all. I hate the wool that's been pulled over his eyes, and I hate that I just had to get my licks in in front of the whole family.
If you do end up doing any more reply-all missives, make sure you stress this. Ensure your commentary attacks the misinformation, not the man. Make it clear that you still love the man, and that your beef is solely with the lies & the deceitful sources that spread them, and how their honeyed words have seduced/stolen him away from the light.
This is not without a silver lining.
Sometimes it's worth remembering that even if the person you're addressing won't be convinced, someone else who's listening in might be swayed.
When I railed against a family member who spread disinformation about 5G, this was my hope, that I might be able to prevent that bullshit from rubbing off on any of the rest of my family.

--Patrick