Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
After the tropical storms brought all the rain and the weather has been so mild I've had the windows open and the A/C turned off for the last few days.

FALSE SPRING HITS LIKE A BRICK. MY HOUSE IS NOW ALL POLLEN. Now my cat has conjunctivitis.

GasBandit

Staff member
Two weeks ago my feedly stopped getting RSS updates from Reuters. I just figured it was a temporary glitch and would come back.

But no, I learned today that Reuters has discontinued using RSS as part of a push to get people to subscribe to their content delivery service.

Oh, the news stories are still free to be read on their website... but if you actually want to consume the content in any other way, you're going to have to pay and use the app they dictate.

This is a dark day for the open web.
Annnd there went the Associated Press RSS feed.

Fuck.

We're getting closer than I'd like.
It’s not just US, either.

the once open, global internet is slowly being replaced by 200, nationally-controlled, separate internets. And, while these separate American, Chinese, Russian, Australian, European, British, and other “internets” may decide to have some things in common with each other, the laws of political gravity will slowly pull them further apart as interest groups in each country lobby for their own concerns within their own country.
—Patrick

Small whine: I was starting to feel better on the anti-virals, but I've been losing my voice for a while and today my skin feels like its burning/crawling. I have a two and a half hour french class in the morning where I speak most of the time...

Have you guys ever been so stressed out about upcoming work that you completely failed to enjoy a 4-day weekend, and didn't feel rested at all at the end of the 4 days? Cause I have.
I can manage this with two-week vacations.
Letting go of work waiting for you is an art.

Has anyone else spent the last 6 months worried that every time they feel even slightly unpleasant that it might be a symptom of Covid? I almost would like to get a positive test just because I think I'd be happy to know I have it vs this constant fear.

Has anyone else spent the last 6 months worried that every time they feel even slightly unpleasant that it might be a symptom of Covid? I almost would like to get a positive test just because I think I'd be happy to know I have it vs this constant fear.
Yes. Between allergies and shitty air quality due to fires, I am short of breath at least once a week, and it always makes me panic.

In all seriousness, why would you? Didn't you lose everything in the fires? I genuinely would take advantage and stay if you can.
Missing family and friends. Teaching with a 17 hour time difference sucks. Visa runs out in January. We might extend the Visa or move to New Zealand if they opens borders with Oz again. But feeling displaced is still pretty lousy.

Mr. Z is like that. He gets tested at work at least once a month because his boss requires it, and he still thinks any time he feels the slightest bit off it's the onset of Covid. I've had to talk him down too many times. It doesn't help that he's far more prone to seasonal allergies than I am.

Just learned one of my Middle School bullies died last week. No idea how to feel about it. I don't have a single positive memory of him. And in fact, some of the things he said and did to me in those 3 years still haunt me to this day. Very often, when I get depressed, I still hear him saying "You're a loser, Nick. You'll always be a loser" and have to wonder how much he was right. He was probably one of my worst bullies of all of them, too.

(Note: I haven't heard how he died. But I found out because someone else who knew me in middle school suddenly messaged me on Facebook, telling me they found my blog post about my middle school days. But I don't remember him at all.)

Update: Old friend of mine who still lives in PEI informed me he died of a Fentanyl overdose. Apparently his wife left him and took their kid with her because he couldn't stay clean. And he was still an asshole, so he never changed, I guess.

Is it weird that, despite all the pain he caused me, how his words still haunt me and pull me into depression, that I honestly, truly hoped he became a better person? That's the hopeless optimist in me for everyone else.

Last edited:
Is it weird that, despite all the pain he caused me, how his words still haunt me and pull me into depression, that I honestly, truly hoped he became a better person?
No, not at all.

I still hope some of my bullies eventually turned themselves around. Because once you hit grown-up world, being a bully is a dead end unless your family has enough power/influence/money to force people to continue putting up with that shit.

--Patrick

No, not at all.

I still hope some of my bullies eventually turned themselves around. Because once you hit grown-up world, being a bully is a dead end unless your family has enough power/influence/money to force people to continue putting up with that shit.

--Patrick
Or have enough enablers to get you elected president.

Just learned one of my Middle School bullies died last week. No idea how to feel about it. I don't have a single positive memory of him. And in fact, some of the things he said and did to me in those 3 years still haunt me to this day. Very often, when I get depressed, I still hear him saying "You're a loser, Nick. You'll always be a loser" and have to wonder how much he was right. He was probably one of my worst bullies of all of them, too.

(Note: I haven't heard how he died. But I found out because someone else who knew me in middle school suddenly messaged me on Facebook, telling me they found my blog post about my middle school days. But I don't remember him at all.)
I disagree with the dead guy. You're not a loser.

Trust me, if you get it you'll know

I guess unless you're one of the asymptomatic ones