Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Let yourself grieve, cheri. You have to get the pain out.

Every time I lose one of mine, I hold a life celebration and remember all the wonderful times we had together. I usually wind up bawling my eyes out by the end but the tears cleanse and allow me to heal. Yoshi will always be in your heart but let that place be one of joy and remembrance rather than pain.

We can't get a cat until our son learns how to keep his room clean.
It's been almost 7 years now...

--Patrick
That was our pet rule too, but it only lasted until I saw a cat I refused to not get, and TBH he doesn't give two shits that our house is messy. Also helps that he's very consistent with his litter box and such.

I bought a nice pair of shoes online. They were size 11EE but I could not get my foot into the opening. You would think a shoe designed for a big foot would have an opening large enough.

I even bought some size 12 socks the other day that were too narrow to put my foot into. I never had that happen.

Is it possible it was a manufacturing error? I always wear the same size of shirt at Old Navy and I grabbed one recently and got it home and it didn’t fit over my head. NFC what happened.

We are almost 36 hours into a 48-hour snow storm. Even though there is far more snow now than our last storm, there is far less ice involved. So at least it's lots of fluffy snow we have to shovel/plow, but our work keeps getting covered up. We've already had to do the driveway/front porch/back desk twice. Bleah.

We are almost 36 hours into a 48-hour snow storm. Even though there is far more snow now than our last storm, there is far less ice involved. So at least it's lots of fluffy snow we have to shovel/plow, but our work keeps getting covered up. We've already had to do the driveway/front porch/back desk twice. Bleah.
Our turn should be coming Thu night/Fri morning.

--Patrick

Last year my employer required all employees to enroll in a "my wellness" online program that requires us to log in weekly and swear to do good health related things, or suffer an increase in monthly insurance fees.

Today they announced we're also going to have to take a urine or swab test to be tested for nicotine, and anyone found to be a smoker will either have to undergo a quitting program or, again, face a monthly fee in the form of an insurance premium.

Even though I don't smoke, this is the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever seen, and offends me at a moral level

How is that any of your employer’s business? I can understand insurance companies rating certain clients (although I don’t think work provided insurance can do that can they?)

I’m with you, it’s offensive.

GasBandit

Staff member
Last year my employer required all employees to enroll in a "my wellness" online program that requires us to log in weekly and swear to do good health related things, or suffer an increase in monthly insurance fees.

Today they announced we're also going to have to take a urine or swab test to be tested for nicotine, and anyone found to be a smoker will either have to undergo a quitting program or, again, face a monthly fee in the form of an insurance premium.

Even though I don't smoke, this is the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever seen, and offends me at a moral level
How is that any of your employer’s business? I can understand insurance companies rating certain clients (although I don’t think work provided insurance can do that can they?)

I’m with you, it’s offensive.
I used to work for a company that had a strict "no tobacco" policy. You could literally be fired if you were found to be using any tobacco product at all, even on your own time.

It was so they could get lower insurance rates, yes.

And yes, they tested for it.

And yes, it is legal.

Mine did that a couple of years ago. :I told the HR lady, and I quote, "Fuck you. Charge me the $20."

GasBandit

Staff member
I see the term a lot. I will have to look it up.
At-will employment is basically the opposite of contract or union employment. There is no contract, so the employer can fire the employee at any time for any or no reason (other than a very short, explicit list of reasons which would make the termination unlawful). Supposedly the "up side" to this is that the employee can also quit at any time for any reason with no legal/contractual repercussions, but it's not exactly much of a balance.

Only one state does not permit at-will employment - Montana.

28 states even go further and have adopted "right to work" legislation which says that an employee "cannot be required" to join a union to hold any given job, which effectively ends all collective bargaining power for employees in those states.

There's a whooooooole lot of posts going waaaaaaaaay back in the political threads about this, and I don't really think it needs rehashing here.

Dave

Staff member
I'm having a really difficult time figuring out where to put this. Is it a whine? Is it a minor rant? Is it an epic win? Don't know yet.

Got a call yesterday from my boss at like 3:30. He informed me that as of February 15 I was going to be moving to HR as an HCM Analyst (Human Capital Management). Apparently our university doesn't appear to have even the simplest of data from our systems. I mean easy shit like turnover rate or average time in position. Things like that which can help drive business decisions. Like, is there an area that has a massive turnover? Why? Is there anything we can do to help alleviate the situation? Things like that. I was told by my boss that I was going to be essentially creating a new department within HR for reporting and analysis.

So this morning I get several meeting requests including one from a girl named "Alexa"...who has the exact job title I was going to be moving in to. WTF? I thought I was going to be creating the department! Guess not. So I contacted my boss again for some clarification and found that she has been in the department for a while and has been unable to actually achieve anything of substance. But she's been in HR now for a while and is considered the "project lead" on this. Not my boss, exactly, but someone who is already versed on the culture and what's expected.

What does this all mean? No fucking clue. Is this going to be the opportunity that it was painted to be or is this going to be a case of "Dave comes in, gets things done, Alexa takes all credit as the team lead" kind of thing? I don't really have a choice in the matter, so I need to just roll with it. But I'll have to learn three new computer systems, figure out the APIs that bind a couple of them together, and be able to gather, analyze, and report on actionable data...all in a six-month timeframe.

I don't know if this will be a springboard or if I'm being set up to fail. The more I learn the less I know about what's going on. I don't know whether to be excited or fearful.

So yay me...?

edit: And @PatrThom this is what we were discussing last night when you came in late. Sorry it took so long to let you know what was up, I thought maybe some of the meetings I've had today would shine some light instead of just casting more shadows...

Last edited:
I moved to Virginia 10 years ago for a high-paying government contract. After that year was up, I joined a private company and stayed there 9 years--longer than I've ever worked anywhere. Last year, that company was acquired, and they immediately fired my entire team but me, so that I could keep the systems running until they could replace them.

Well, I finally jumped ship and started a new job in November. Back into government/cleared contracting. I'm on a contract-to-hire contract where I'm supposed to convert to FTE in April.

I'm sitting in a town hall meeting--the company I'm working for now has just been acquired. What does that mean for my FTE converstion? no clue.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm supposed to be scheduled in such a way that there is an "unscheduled" day between each project commissioning, in case something goes wrong that necessitates extra time on site (which it usually does). This was agreed upon by all parties in many meetings.

And yet here I am, my next 5 projects being commissioned, back to back to back to back with no gap days over the next 15 days.

I hope we don't need me to do any actual programming this month, I guess.