Wii Price drops to $200 (20% cut) this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8272240.stm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172530/wii_price_cut_takes_aim_at_xbox_360_ps3.html/

Finally, the Wii is coming down in price after nearly 3 years at $250.

I have a thing about not buying consoles at their debut prices (unless it's a gift), so this is a big plus for me. I'll definitely be picking one up soon, considering I have the $180 Rock Band 2 for the Wii without a Wii system, which unfortunately belonged to my old roommate/ex-girlfriend.

Oooo, I'm thinking of getting a Wii, even though the price cut probably won't extend to Taiwan here.

Game recommendations are welcome.

J

JCM

1.Sell an overpriced popular console that runs laps around "hardcore" consoles in sales.

2.Wait for competition to lower their prices (X360 had a price drop, now theres the PS3 slim).

3.Lower your console price, watch 1. happen again.

C

Chibibar

heh. I remember that Nintendo said that they were not going to lower prices ;) of course there was an article that Sony denies the "slim" PS3 also.

Well, at least it's getting closer in price to what it's actually worth.

*grumbles*

If Nintendo would be so kind to actually release games for it, that might change my perspective on it a bit.

I have all three current systems back home, but can't ship them here (or bring them on a plane), so I was considering getting a second when I finally buy a tv, hopefully in a month, then selling it when I leave. It was either a Wii or PS3 slim. With the price drop, I might be able to justify getting both, especially if I can sell them for a profit.

I have all three current systems back home, but can't ship them here (or bring them on a plane), so I was considering getting a second when I finally buy a tv, hopefully in a month, then selling it when I leave. It was either a Wii or PS3 slim. With the price drop, I might be able to justify getting both, especially if I can sell them for a profit.
*glaring as hard as she can, her eyes form daggers and impale klew with a voracious speed and appetite*

*glaring as hard as she can, her eyes form daggers and impale klew with a voracious speed and appetite*[/QUOTE]

I have all 3 as well but sadly my 360 isn't working right now but I do own it.

heh. I remember that Nintendo said that they were not going to lower prices ;) of course there was an article that Sony denies the "slim" PS3 also.
Nintendo didn't want to lower prices because they felt it sent the wrong message to some of the people who buy consoles ("Wait a few years and it'll be cheaper"). Once they realized how fucking many consoles they were selling, this idea was thrown right out the window.

C

Chibibar

Nintendo didn't want to lower prices because they felt it sent the wrong message to some of the people who buy consoles ("Wait a few years and it'll be cheaper"). Once they realized how fucking many consoles they were selling, this idea was thrown right out the window.[/QUOTE]

heh. Yea. I was not surprise at all that they will lower the price. Like I wasn't surprise when the Chinese "accidentally" release PS3 slim model ;)

J

JCM

Now if only the prices on their games would go down as well.
The games are typically $50 ($10 than most x360/ps3 games), but they get you with the peripherals.[/QUOTE]Most games dont require peripherals, there were more peripherals around for PS2/PS1/Dreamcast than Ive seen for the Wii (Just off my head, steering wheels, flight sticks, bongos, motorcycle handlebars, mice and keyboards, guns, cameras/eye toys, plastic guitars, dance mats, PS2 expansion bays, heck, we even have a vibrator).

Maybe the only difference is that Wii games with peripherals actually sell well.
And we dont have a vibrator.
Yet.

It does have a MUST have peripheral though, if you don't have a GC controller: The Classic Game Controller. Without one, you can't play a lot of old school games on the Virtual Console.

O

Olorin

I love how they announced the price drop exactly when Sony was holding a press conference :)
I already have a Wii, but it's good news for the people who don't have one yet.

If Nintendo would be so kind to actually release games for it, that might change my perspective on it a bit.
It's not 2007 anymore... there are plenty of good games on the Wii.

J

JCM

Yet.
What do you mean? The vibrator was released with the original version of the console!

[/QUOTE]Okay then, but that makes it need even less peripherals.

I dont need a light gun, steering wheel or even a dancing mat on the Wii.

Okay, that's good news, because with the release of Metroid Trilogy, I finally found a reason to get a wii...

Yet.
What do you mean? The vibrator was released with the original version of the console!

[/QUOTE]Okay then, but that makes it need even less peripherals.

I dont need a light gun, steering wheel or even a dancing mat on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

The light gun for the Wii is just a shell that makes it easier to aim the Wiimote in lightgun games (Though it comes with a copy of Link's Crossbow Training, which isn't bad). It's purely cosmetic. Same with the Steering Wheel.

Really, the only peripherals you need with the Wii are WiiMotionPlus and a Classic Gaming controller if you don't already have a Gamecube controller. The rest are purely for fun.

T

ThatNickGuy

It does have a MUST have peripheral though, if you don't have a GC controller: The Classic Game Controller. Without one, you can't play a lot of old school games on the Virtual Console.
You mean, like the old NES controller?

Can't you just turn your Wiimote sideways?

I love how they announced the price drop exactly when Sony was holding a press conference :)
I already have a Wii, but it's good news for the people who don't have one yet.

It's not 2007 anymore... there are plenty of good games on the Wii.
Quick, name the top 5 games for Wii released in 2009.

T

ThatNickGuy

Most of the big titles were also on the other systems (which isn't a fair comparison to all three them), but I can name at least two:

Punchout
Madworld

You mean, like the old NES controller?

Can't you just turn your Wiimote sideways?[/QUOTE]

A lot of the Virtual Console stuff is from the 16-bit era. You need 4 face and 2 shoulder buttons for that, not just two face buttons.

Most of the big titles were also on the other systems (which isn't a fair comparison to all three them), but I can name at least two:

Punchout
Madworld
2 games this year (And no, big titles don't translate well to the Wii - can't compare there).

Like I said, Nintendo needs to release more games - and no, not "Wii Resort".

We're getting some good rail shooters this year in Dead Space: Extraction and another Resident Evil. But honestly... I want a fucking RPG that's not on the Virtual Console.

G

GeneralOrder24

Punchout
Madworld
2 games this year (And no, big titles don't translate well to the Wii - can't compare there).

Like I said, Nintendo needs to release more games - and no, not "Wii Resort".[/QUOTE]

the conduit
metroid prime trilogy
final fantasy chronicles: echoes of time
dead rising
rock band/guitar hero/etc

for starters. There's a whole ton of games that came out this year, but they get shoved deep underneath the mountain of crap that's shilled out constantly.

Dead Rising - A lower res version of the game without half as many enemies, half as many weapons, and all of the photography elements removed? Are you honestly going to try and pass that off a HIT? Everyone knew this was a stinker coming out of the gate; No one bought it.

The Conduit bombed too, as it failed to deliver on it's promises of being a unique FPS that took full advantage of the Wii's capabilities.

Who care what released this year? Wii still has more interesting games overall than PS3. (Though I'm not counting games on PC that are on PS3 too, as PC > PS3 versions)

O

Olorin

Little King's Story
Wii Sports Resort
PunchOut!!
ExciteBots
Boom Blox Bash Party

Only 5 ? Let's keep going shall we

Muramasa the Demon Blade
The Beatles Rock Band
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Madworld
Rune Factory: Frontier
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
Dead Space Extraction
Dawn of Discovery
House of the Dead Overkill
Klonoa
New Play Control Pikmin 1 & 2
There's more if you're into certain genres, and I haven't even mentioned WiiWare and VC games...

J

JCM

Little King's Story
Wii Sports Resort
PunchOut!!
ExciteBots
Boom Blox Bash Party

Only 5 ? Let's keep going shall we

Muramasa the Demon Blade
The Beatles Rock Band
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Madworld
Rune Factory: Frontier
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
Dead Space Extraction
Dawn of Discovery
House of the Dead Overkill
Klonoa
New Play Control Pikmin 1 & 2
There's more if you're into certain genres, and I haven't even mentioned WiiWare and VC games...[/quote]You forgot

Trace Memory R
Spectrobes
Anno Create a New World
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
Trauma center New Blood

Sure, the Wii is short on american rpgs and space marine shooters, but fuck that, its the very reason why I bought it.... funny how this same forum (back in the image days) praised Perfect Dark 0 for being old-school, and now the Conduit is a "failure", how times change.

Guess we should have more Wii and DS "brown marine games". ;)
But honestly... I want a fucking RPG that's not on the Virtual Console.
Amen.

Though FFIV after years was okay

Ross

Staff member
What about older titles that you can maybe get on the cheap now...

Mario?!?
Mario Kart?!?
Legend of Zelda?!?

Just to name a few bigger ones.

Sure, the Wii is short on american rpgs and space marine shooters, but fuck that, its the very reason why I bought it.... funny how this same forum (back in the image days) praised Perfect Dark 0 for being old-school, and now the Conduit is a "failure", how times change.

Guess we should have more Wii and DS "brown marine games". ;)
The Conduit was a failure because they said they were trying to be different with it... but instead gave us more of the same. Think of it this way: If I promised to bring cake to your birthday and instead brought Brownies, you'd probably be a little upset. It's not that the brownies are bad, it's that what I brought isn't what I promised. Perfect Dark Zero promised more old school fun and delivered, so no one was upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.