Wii Price drops to $200 (20% cut) this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Metacritic doesn't have any reviews for "A Boy and his Blob" yet, but the previews I've read in Kotaku and Joystiq and the review in Nintendo Power (they gave it an 8.5) make it seem pretty damn good. Not only are the graphics beautiful, but every time I've heard someone talk about playing it, they've said it handles well and is very challenging.

J

JCM

Sure, the Wii is short on american rpgs and space marine shooters, but fuck that, its the very reason why I bought it.... funny how this same forum (back in the image days) praised Perfect Dark 0 for being old-school, and now the Conduit is a "failure", how times change.

Guess we should have more Wii and DS "brown marine games". ;)
The Conduit was a failure because they said they were trying to be different with it... but instead gave us more of the same. Think of it this way: If I promised to bring cake to your birthday and instead brought Brownies, you'd probably be a little upset. It's not that the brownies are bad, it's that what I brought isn't what I promised. Perfect Dark Zero promised more old school fun and delivered, so no one was upset.[/QUOTE]Every other retail shooter promises to be different... I learned that back when I was 10 playing yet another doom clone.
What about older titles that you can maybe get on the cheap now...

Mario?!?
Mario Kart?!?
Legend of Zelda?!?

Just to name a few bigger ones.
And also ports of good games ala Okami and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition.

Now all it needs is quality jap RPGs and more adventure games ala the DS.

Grr... kinda, in the case of Okami at least. The devs of the Wii version cut out the beautifully animated credits of the PS2 version because they didn't want to give credit to the original team from Clover, since it had been dissolved. That always left a sour taste in my mouth. RE4 Wii Edition is pretty good though!

And change the from "quality Jap RPGS" to "Quality ANYWHERE RPGs". Has there even been one RPG release for the console yet? I don't want it turn into a Gamecube and have only ONE quality RPG during it's entire lifespan. (In case your wondering, it was Skies of Arcadia Legends on the GC... which is just an improved version of the Dreamcast game with more stuff.)

1.Sell an overpriced popular console that runs laps around "hardcore" consoles in sales.

2.Wait for competition to lower their prices (X360 had a price drop, now theres the PS3 slim).

3.Lower your console price, get market ready for release of new console.
It's coming. Remember that it's been out for 3 years as of two weeks ago. It's not an 'old' console by any means, but Nintendo makes money by selling consoles, and consequently games.

The Wii has a few years of life left, but they've refreshed all their other lines - the Wii is next.

-Adam

J

JCM

Grr... kinda, in the case of Okami at least. The devs of the Wii version cut out the beautifully animated credits of the PS2 version because they didn't want to give credit to the original team from Clover, since it had been dissolved. That always left a sour taste in my mouth. RE4 Wii Edition is pretty good though!

And change the from "quality Jap RPGS" to "Quality ANYWHERE RPGs". Has there even been one RPG release for the console yet? I don't want it turn into a Gamecube and have only ONE quality RPG during it's entire lifespan. (In case your wondering, it was Skies of Arcadia Legends on the GC... which is just an improved version of the Dreamcast game with more stuff.)[/QUOTE]Hey, Tales of Eternia, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and Baten Kaitos 2 Origins were good!

But then the only other rpgs we had on the GC were Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, Paper Mario, Crystal Chronicles and a few shitty third party multiconsole ones like LOTR, Xemn legends 2 and Gladius.

Now checking on the Wii, it seems there are some (these were all reviewed by IGN), but not many good ones at all other than Rune Factory and Tales of Symphonia, and some are old games/Wiiware

Phantasy Star
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Rune Factory: Frontier
Phantasy Star IV
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Dokapon Kingdom
Shining Force II
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Baroque
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Opoona
Phantasy Star II
Light Crusader
Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity
Shining in the Darkness
Breath of Fire II
Paper Mario RPG
Sword of Vermilion
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Neutopia II
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
Alien Syndrome
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

In comparison, the DS gets like 10 rpgs a month.

Crystal Chronicles was great, but marred by the fact you needed 3 friends, 4 GBA-GC connectors, and 4 GBA SPs to play it right.

Paper Mario was fine... totally forgot about that one.

Gladius wasn't bad ether, but I didn't include that for the same reason I didn't include Fire Emblem: It's mainly a strategy game. It was better on the PS2 though.

Didn't play the rest... we never got them at our video store.

There's probably a bigger market for the DS (more machines because it's cheaper, and people play more hours per month because it's portable) than for the Wii.

Developers will always go for the larger market when given the chance.

-Adam

There's probably a bigger market for the DS (more machines because it's cheaper, and people play more hours per month because it's portable) than for the Wii.

-Adam[/QUOTE]

It's not just about a larger market: Development costs for the DS are much lower because you have much simpler architecture and lower specs to meet. You don't need to spend millions of dollars trying to push the limits of your hardware if your on a hand held ether, because the expectation is different.

J

JCM

-Adam[/QUOTE]Its also due to the fact that there are 10X more games out for the DS than any system, you can find anything from Korg synthesizers and New York Times crosswords, language coaching programs and wine guides, to GTA and DragonQuest.

Believe me, the price thing is just a small factor, because it has outsold the GBA, GB, and every handheld in less 2 years.

Now if we factor the Iphone/iPod touch, then we might actually have some competition.

-Adam[/quote]Its also due to the fact that there are 10X more games out for the DS than any system, you can find anything from Korg synthesizers and New York Times crosswords, language coaching programs and wine guides, to GTA and DragonQuest.

Believe me, the price thing is just a small factor, because it has outsold the GBA, GB, and every handheld in less 2 years.

Now if we factor the Iphone/iPod touch, then we might actually have some competition.[/QUOTE]

Just today people are reporting on Apple's push into advertising the iPhone as a gaming platform to gamers and game developers.

Imagine if the DSi had a cellular connection (no fees, like the kindle) that one could then insta-download games, and developers could upload games to a DSi 'app store' rather than producing cartridges.

I suppose the WiFi does this to some extent.

Right now the form factor of the DSi is more conducive to gaming than the touch, and it's a lot cheaper, but I think Nintendo will have to be nimble and move to avoid becoming sega to Apple in the next decade.

-Adam

O

Olorin

Imagine if the DSi had a cellular connection (no fees, like the kindle) that one could then insta-download games, and developers could upload games to a DSi 'app store' rather than producing cartridges.
Like DSiWare?

figmentPez

Staff member
Like DSiWare?
DSiWare isn't like the app store much at all, from what I've read. As much as Nintendo has said they want DSi programs to do everything, just like "there's an app for that", it's yet to materalize. It's a lot harder for developers to get into DSiWare than it is to get onto the iPhone. Not to mention that pricing is much higher per game on DSi than it is on the iPhone.

O

Olorin

Well, DSiWare is still fairly new, but I've heard that it already has some real gems. And one of them is free (Flipnote Studio)
I don't have a DSi or an iPhone though...

E

edzepp

I'm throwing in a few recommendations of my own:

Bit Trip Beat

Bit Trip Core

Get these retro-styled rhythm games on Wiiware and you'll never need to buy another game again. (you'll be too busy being obsessed with your high scores to care) The third one, Bit Trip Void, is coming out later this year.

Oh, and De Blob.

Status
Not open for further replies.