Windows 11 is here. Anyone taking the plunge yet?

While I do have some machines that can run it without issue, the answer is no, I probably won't.
And the reason for that is pretty straightforward--If I am reading this correctly, the TPM2 requirement means that installing Win11 sets Windows up in the TPM with root ownership of your computer. So if you're a DIY box builder (like myself), you build a computer with all your fancy/expensive parts, and then when you install Win11 you have to grant root ownership of your creation over to Windows/Microsoft "for the children your safety."

It's not for your safety. It's for DRM and authentication purposes (obviously), and they have been pushing this idea since Vista but have yet to demonstrate to me, the consumer, a sufficiently compelling reason why I should need this or would even want it.

So no.

--Patrick

Fine. I did it on the laptop. All I do with it is surf and watch seasonals, anyway. Upgrade went through smoothly. Radeon software protested when I tried to open it after, but there's already an update for that.

Can you move the start button back to the lower left corner? I feel like putting it in the middle of the taskbar is a terrible design decision.

I checked, but my processor is too old and no longer supported. Oh no! Guess I'm stuck with...the version of Windows that I've finally grown accustomed to!

I'm sure I'll need to at work, eventually. At home, I'm on a Mac, but the next family PC will probably be a Windows machine and I guess it depends on how soon I get it or if I put it together myself or not. I'll say, it's possible.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another thing for @GasBandit to not upgrade to.
I'll probably end up with it on my work laptop sooner or later, but at on my gaming desktop, windows 7 is still going strong. Though, I have to switch into my dualboot install of 10 now when I want to use VR... but I haven't done that in months and months.

After perusing the /r/Windows11 sub, I checked the device security settings on the desktop. Turns out *all* the hardware security options on the motherboard had been disabled by default since I bought the thing. It wants Secure Boot, TPM, and virtualization all turned on. Since this isn't going to be anything but a Windows box for now, turning them on isn't that big a deal, at least not for *that*.

After perusing the /r/Windows11 sub, I checked the device security settings on the desktop. Turns out *all* the hardware security options on the motherboard had been disabled by default since I bought the thing. It wants Secure Boot, TPM, and virtualization all turned on. Since this isn't going to be anything but a Windows box for now, turning them on isn't that big a deal, at least not for *that*.
What is Win11 offering that has you switching?

I mean, that only affects the dirty AMD peasants, and not the glorious Intel master race.

—Patrick
Yeah, now those damn AMDers will have to settle for Intel performance for their chips, which might not be the same as the good old days of Intel dominance, but at least it's something.

A week with Windows 11 on the laptop and everything seems fine. Again, it's been mainly Chrome, qBittorrent, and MPC Black, so it's possible there's something lurking that I just haven't triggered yet.

Latest update from WinX pretty much confirms I won’t be able to upgrade to 11.
Win11 pretty much demands that you be running an 8th generation or later CPU, so anyone who didn't buy their computer brand new less than 4 years ago gets left out (8th gen was introduced in Fall of 2017).

--Patrick

I installed it on my work pc. Everything was ok for 3 days and today my mic just stopped working. Nothing I tried fixed the problem and I was afraid that the audio jack was damaged. I rolled back to windows 10 and it's working again. The good news is that it took less than 10 minutes to return to windows 10.

Last edited:
The updates from both Microsoft and AMD are now live.

Hardware Unboxed did a performance comparison between 10 and 11. Intel only, as the AMD fixes hadn't arrived yet. And as it turns out, no one really needs VBS. Not in the home, at least.

Win11 pretty much demands that you be running an 8th generation or later CPU, so anyone who didn't buy their computer brand new less than 4 years ago gets left out (8th gen was introduced in Fall of 2017).
...unless you want to be very creative with your install, that is:
...[He included] video and benchmarks to verify his machine was running the one-core Pentium chip with only 4GB of DDR2 RAM. [...] Of course, the OS runs a bit slow on the Pentium 4 chip. Nevertheless, it shows Windows 11 can easily run on decade-old hardware.
"a bit slow" yes I'm sure. But it runs!

--Patrick

Hardware Unboxed is investigating a new bug with AMD CPUs where performance tanks after a CPU swap, necessitating a fresh install of Win 11. Stay tuned.

How should that even be a thing? I know the new Alder Lake CPUs are causing issues with apps that specifically make decisions based on CPU architecture (e.g., DRM), but swapping out a proc shouldn’t change anything but speed, assuming they’re the same core. Does Win11 hash the CPU ID or serial and then enter some kind of limited mode if it suspects “tampering?” This doesn’t sound like a simple coding error, is what I’m saying.

—Patrick

How should that even be a thing? I know the new Alder Lake CPUs are causing issues with apps that specifically make decisions based on CPU architecture (e.g., DRM), but swapping out a proc shouldn’t change anything but speed, assuming they’re the same core. Does Win11 hash the CPU ID or serial and then enter some kind of limited mode if it suspects “tampering?” This doesn’t sound like a simple coding error, is what I’m saying.

—Patrick
Further testing suggests it may be an Adrenalin problem.