Wishing for divorce often

fade

Staff member
Well, she waived the rights, but the understanding is that we will split everything up on our own amicably. I don't really want to stay here single anyway.

Also, now I have to find an apartment. Which means I have to sell everything in my garage, including the sailing kayak I saved for a literal decade to afford (those fuckers are 10 grand new and they don't really depreciate much. I saved forever for a used one, and just got it last year). My rolling toolbox. All my woodworking stuff, like table saw, drill press. My regular kayaks. My air compressor...

Yes, I know I could store these, but the idea of storage frankly rubs me the wrong way.
Nah, dude, save the things you love. All this shall pass and you'll find yourself thinking back how you wish you hadn't sold all of that and have a "Damn! I could have had a V8!" moment.

Nah, dude, save the things you love. All this shall pass and you'll find yourself thinking back how you wish you hadn't sold all of that and have a "Damn! I could have had a V8!" moment.
I would echo this. My brother purged when he got divorced. He said he felt like he just didn't give a shit about anything he owned. Later he came to regret that, big time. There were some important keepsakes, and he ended up re-buying things he wanted later anyway.

fade

Staff member
I would echo this. My brother purged when he got divorced. He said he felt like he just didn't give a shit about anything he owned. Later he came to regret that, big time. There were some important keepsakes, and he ended up re-buying things he wanted later anyway.
That is definitely my mindset right now. I get your point, but pragmatically speaking, it's a good time to get rid of stuff I rarely use. Like the drill press for example. It's heavy and huge, and while I use it, I only need it for really precise drilling like my Halloween props. Usually I can just use a regular drill. I'm definitely not giving up my power tools. I'll just box them up in a closet for now.

Funny enough, it'd be a paying forward. I got a lot of my woodworking stuff for a song when my neighbor did the same thing a decade and a half ago. He said, you know what? You got...$300 on you? It's all yours. Which was a fraction. Like me, he just wanted it gone.

fade

Staff member
Another thing...divorce and post-divorce support online seems to be heavily biased toward women, and women of a certain personality. It's hard to find much help for dudes. I mean, sure, some of it is unisex, but a lot of it is very much geared toward the Sex and the City crowd.

Another thing...divorce and post-divorce support online seems to be heavily biased toward women, and women of a certain personality. It's hard to find much help for dudes. I mean, sure, some of it is unisex, but a lot of it is very much geared toward the Sex and the City crowd.
If it helps, we can try to assist you in figuring out if you're a Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte or Miranda.

Seriously though, that sucks.

fade

Staff member
Well, it has been an interesting 2 months since she gave me divorce papers. I went through some really deep, deep sadness like I hadn't felt in ages. Like that kind that makes you feel like you cannot even breathe in. I can't say it's really much better. I haven't had much time to process anything. I spent so much time repairing and repainting this house. All by myself while she continued to go out with her soccer friends. She's never here anymore. I do everything around here, and frankly I am feeling a little taken advantage of. But despite all that..ironically, she actually talks to me now. The one thing I ever wanted. The one thing that would've saved it all.

The saddest thing that happened over the last two months was when I told her that I guess I always knew she never felt the same about me that I did about her, and instead of protesting, she agreed. She said she regretted not saying anything sooner, which was cold comfort.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, it has been an interesting 2 months since she gave me divorce papers. I went through some really deep, deep sadness like I hadn't felt in ages. Like that kind that makes you feel like you cannot even breathe in. I can't say it's really much better. I haven't had much time to process anything. I spent so much time repairing and repainting this house. All by myself while she continued to go out with her soccer friends. She's never here anymore. I do everything around here, and frankly I am feeling a little taken advantage of. But despite all that..ironically, she actually talks to me now. The one thing I ever wanted. The one thing that would've saved it all.

The saddest thing that happened over the last two months was when I told her that I guess I always knew she never felt the same about me that I did about her, and instead of protesting, she agreed. She said she regretted not saying anything sooner, which was cold comfort.
She honestly sounds like a sociopath, if not for the regret part, if that's genuine.

When you begin to realize you've been living a lie, even if a blissful lie, then the truth can feel freeing.