3d printing

Also known as, "I forgot to include some crucial supports."
I had an SLS print fail rather spectacularly once because two objects had barely a square mm of overlap and the laser did NOT like that.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
This is SLS printing, not the more common FDM, but I think it's really interesting:

TL;DW by mixing copper chromate in with the nylon being sintered in the SLS printer, then using a pulsed laser to create traces on the printed part, and finally using a chemical bath to plate copper onto those paths, he was able to create circuits, with the goal of making circuits on curved surfaces, trying to mimic the industrial process of "metalized interconnect devices".

I've often lamented at the poor showing of Cthulhu among fidget toys. Plenty of non-fidget stuff, sure. But not too many good fidgets.
Yesterday, all that changed ;)
1719079137848.png
1719079144463.png

Articulated tentacles, wings, arms, legs and tail, and he doesn't look stupid!

So, any y'all got 50 grand kicking around (plus 7 grand for the deodorizer)?

The quantum leap in 3D printing tech man.
I wish...sigh

My buddy was showing me this stuff and it was mind boggling to me. It's still a far ways off of being consumer available but holy smokes.

My buddy was showing me this stuff and it was mind boggling to me. It's still a far ways off of being consumer available but holy smokes.
Years ago, my mom and I were spitballing about what the next truly disruptive technology would be. Kind of like how personal computers went from maybe a half dozen in a neighborhood to several in every home (if you count smart phones etc). I told her 3d printing.

I had never yet played with one, and the state of the technology was abysmal then, but I could foresee that if you could just press a button and create any plastic thing you needed, cheap items from China and making a trip to Walmart for 70-80% of your household needs would just...disappear.

There's already so much that I'd normally buy that I just print these days. Usually because it's faster, cheaper, or easier than me making a trip to the store. Especially at night, when the store is closed. Once, I would've said "I'll make a trip to Walmart in the morning to buy shelf brackets". Now, I'm like "I'll wake up in the morning, and have as many shelf brackets as I need at about a penny per."

When this technology gets as widely spread as early home computing, it'll be a huge societal game changer.

Once I get some more space I intend to get a resin one, a filament one and such too. I've been fiending to get into it for over a year now.