3d printing

my longest print yet. Almost 4 days!

1724377116820.jpeg

But, I made some improvements in the process so that I don't gotta keep checking the waste chute for clogs (the last time I tried these, it clogged while I was sleeping and couldn't catch it in time before it built up enough to fail). I ended up buying "3-in-1 PTFE lubricant" (which is basically liquid teflon) and coating the inside of the waste chute with it. 3 days of printing. No clogs at all.

These are printed at 0.08mm layer heights (normally I do 0.20) so it's got nearly 3 times as many layers as a typical print. Every layer is a color change. That's a lot of waste filament. But it's soooo smooth. Super satisfying

1724377138738.png

Love it! How thick is that Nightmare before Christmas piece? Is it mostly flat? How many colours were used? I really do want to get an AMS in the future but I just can't justify it at the moment.

Those cats are cool and the thin layer lines really do take them to the next level.

This is about as cool as I get lately... I designed a container to hold the AAA battery adapter and USB-C charge cable for my 1200 watt Duracell flashlight as well as a wall mount for the whole thing. I have three of these mounted around the house and it's handy to always know where to get a working flashlight.

IMG_2139.jpgIMG_2140.jpgIMG_2141.jpgIMG_2142.jpgIMG_2143.jpg

Love it! How thick is that Nightmare before Christmas piece? Is it mostly flat? How many colours were used? I really do want to get an AMS in the future but I just can't justify it at the moment.

Those cats are cool and the thin layer lines really do take them to the next level.
Jack is thin--3.4mm...5 colors. But you can do it in a 4 color ams by putting a pause before the last color. Because HueForge prints are distinct colors per layer, you can even do it without an AMS if you don't mind switching the color 4 or 5 times on a print.
Post automatically merged:

This is about as cool as I get lately... I designed a container to hold the AAA battery adapter and USB-C charge cable for my 1200 watt Duracell flashlight as well as a wall mount for the whole thing. I have three of these mounted around the house and it's handy to always know where to get a working flashlight.

View attachment 49278View attachment 49279View attachment 49280View attachment 49281View attachment 49282
I do love me a practical print :D

I have 3 weeks until my next vending event and I've run out of things to print until I clear out some inventory.

So, I'm making something totally stupid for myself. About 30 hours to print.
1724951230792.png

Haha Pez, I just watched that video. All I can say is that's a lot of filament... Maybe Tinwhistler can make one... I don't have the printers for it lol.

IMG_2149.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpg

Figured I'd post some Warhammer 40k styled miniatures I printed a while ago. Excited to try and get these painted up. This is on my old resin printer as well... the new one should make the layer lines invisible to the naked eye which will be pretty awesome.

So, I get an order of these things from time to time...
1725387143265.png

There are *no* flat surfaces to lay down on the print bed, so I've been doing it like this. But, I've been real unhappy with the finish and cleanup of this particular area right here. That blue circle is a "brim" and it usually ends up inside the textured bit on the handle, and it sucks to clean up and I lose definition.
1725387186412.png

Well, I just got another order of these things, so I figured I'd experiment.

In theory..this should work. it's got low-adhesion zones, but I just cleaned and applied liquid PEI glue to the plate, so I was hopeful...
1725387273270.png

But..you know...it didn't.
1725387358799.png

So, I decided to try a trick to "float" the objects above the print bed, so that there was no brim on the actual object. Bambu Studio doesn't let you do that, but i know a trick or two :)

1725387432652.png

The trick is that little dot in the lower right. It's a 0.5mm primitive cube with a brim. The knives are merged with it, so that the slicer treats them as a single object. Then, you can float stuff in the Z axis all you want, and the slicer will happily put supports under it. This actually worked pretty good.

But I have one more thing to try:

1725387549770.png

I wasn't sure about this one, but so far it's done great
1725387601980.png

Last edited:
@Tinwhistler What are you using to model in? I want to try to make a scale version of my DND campaign's map ala this:

I have a bit of modeling experience(ie I can kinda do fumble my way through things, and once made a bracket to hold my phone while using a 8-bitdo controller and had it printed) but tried Fusion360 cause that's what everyone was saying is the best to learn and hit a wall.

Last edited:
@Tinwhistler What are you using to model in? I want to try to make a scale version of my DND campaign's map ala this:

I have a bit of modeling experience(ie I can kinda do fumble my way through things, and once made a bracket to hold my phone while using a 8-bitdo controller and had it printed) but tried Fusion360 cause that's what everyone was saying is the best to learn and hit a wall.
Fusion 360. Which is great for engineering models. But it's a steep learning curve, and I wouldn't attempt it with more organic stuff. Everything I'm hearing is blender or zbrush for less engineering-oriented stuff.

these days, I could model something like in the video in probably an hour. It all looks like geometric primitives.

• Informative
Reactions: Far
I figured I'd experiment.
The only thing I can add from my time doing "serious" 3D printing is that the two things that matter most are:
  1. Print layer orientation (as it compares/relates to object geometry)
  2. The location of "peaks" and "valleys"
1 - When you print something, the final layering should be parallel to the longest axis of the object being printed, meaning that these objects should be printed "wide" and not "tall" since the largest surfaces should be as parallel to the bed as possible. The only time this doesn't really apply is when you are deliberately trying to force the grain to go in a specific direction for some reason (shear resistance, tricky cleanup, whatever). Additionally, the model should be placed so that as many angles as possible should be "pure," by which I mean as close to vertical, horizontal, or one of the most even divisions of those (30, 45, 60, etc). If you're going to print them on edge like that, the final tip should probably be as close to perfectly vertical as possible. In fact, All the final top tips should be as close to vertical as you can get, if possible. So if you can't build them flat on the bed because you don't want the cleanup chore for whichever face was pointing down, you might try something like this orientation:
1725403590973.png

The idea here is that, not only is the tip of the blade as close to vertical as you can get, but so are the points at the tops of the finger grooves and the quillon, and so on. Neither one is perfectly vertical, but the orientation is such that as many of them are as close to vertical as possible, or else they are as close to horizontal as possible (like the tip of the pommel).

2 - Peaks and valleys and "filed" notches (like the ones on the back of the hilt and in the thumb groove) are your bane, though. Because none of them can come out of nothing, they have to be individually supported until they "grow" enough to join the main body. Perfectly vertical peaks/valleys can be terminally printed with no additional lateral support, they just need some kind of vertical support. They can even be printed a bit off-angle so long as the angle they are off by isn't more than the angle of the side of the peak (i.e., the more acute the angle of the peak, the less leeway you have). That's why I say you have some leeway to rock the entire piece more vertical or more horizontal a bit if the terminal peaks of your finger grooves and blade tip aren't pointing in exactly the same directions. Any, and I mean ANY projection from the workpiece that terminates in any kind of downward angle OR which "bottoms out" without resting on the main body (think like a power line) has to grow from an independent support that touches the table, no exceptions. So the other struggle when orienting your workpiece is that you are trying to find an orientation that minimizes the number of faces/angles that are more than 90 degrees off vertical in any direction. You can easily 3D print a letter "Y" because the two upper arms "grow" from the central stem, meaning that they have support (assuming they don't get too long). You can print the letter "H" because the two legs get joined together when the center bar gets printed. You can even print an "R" or "K" because even though the diagonal leg of each is at a downward angle, it is anchored to the table and provides its own support for when it finally joins the rest of the letter. But you can't print, say, a question mark "?" or dollar sign "$" vertically because the tip of each top hook hangs down and is completely unsupported when you try to build the letter from the bottom up out of horizontal layers.

Figuring out the optimal orientation of the printed piece and choosing which points will need support is the 3D printing equivalent of the old photography saying of, "You should endeavor to do as much of your image editing/correction as possible before you click the shutter."

--Patrick

The map shown in that video could be pretty easily done in Fusion. That said, I use the word "easily" because I've been doing CAD for most of my career. Parametric modelers can be weird to learn.

Making things for myself. The tealight holder, I designed myself in fusion and I really like how it turned out. The mushroom wall shelves, I found online, but also really like.

20240905_004837.jpg

20240905_072642.jpg

photo_2024-08-29_14-03-28.jpg

View attachment 49354
The idea here is that, not only is the tip of the blade as close to vertical as you can get, but so are the points at the tops of the finger grooves and the quillon, and so on. Neither one is perfectly vertical, but the orientation is such that as many of them are as close to vertical as possible, or else they are as close to horizontal as possible (like the tip of the pommel).
This was the orientation I tried the very first time I tried to print them, and it didn't work out. But that was some time ago, and I knew less about supports and bed adhesion and such, so it might be worth revisiting. That said, the orientation I ended up with worked out really well. The quality was good, and the supports were super easy to remove, so it may be a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" at this point.

I get regular orders of this knife, and a kunai throwing dagger--usually when I'm already swamped, so I haven't had time to fiddle with it properly. I'd been getting around a 20% failure rate, which was fine since my markup accounts for such things, but after playing with both, I was able to print 20 with good quality and without a single failure, so playing with it further would probably only be of academic benefit.

it may be a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" at this point.
My only real experience has been with tanks of LASER-cured resin, or upside-down LCD trays, so I don't know how well that would translate to filament printers. I still hope to find out some day.

--Patrick

another self-design. My girlfriend has been asking for a scoop for the big ice tray in my freezer.
Most everthing I was finding online printed vertically like this, because the handle was not on the same plane as the bottom of the scoop.
1725589561966.png

I didn't want that--for one, tall, thin prints tend to fail without good supports, brims, whatever. I didn't wanna dick with print settings. I wanted to throw something on the printer and have it come off easily. Two, tall prints are slower, because z-axis doesn't move as fast as x/y axis and there's a minimum layer time for cooling. This thing prints in about 5 hours.

I found a couple with the handle in line with the base plane, but they had extreme fillets (rounded edges) on the bottom, which meant that there were lots of complaints about poor print quality in those spots because of the overhangs.

So, I spent 90 minutes in fusion designing this:
1725589684962.png

It prints in 3 hours, and has all of the features I want, including a perfectly flat bottom plane. The scoop size/area is about the same. And mine costs 50 cents less to print. So I saved money *and* time, even with design time combined with print time. It's on the printer now.

I really feel like my Fusion skills are leveling up really quickly these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Far
Having a flat bottom plane means your hand will dig into the ice while scooping, but otherwise...yeah, nothing helps you gain XP like grinding the very activity you want to level.

--Patrick

Having a flat bottom plane means your hand will dig into the ice while scooping, but otherwise...yeah, nothing helps you gain XP like grinding the very activity you want to level.

--Patrick
I go in at an angle and my ice bucket isn't industrial-sized :) The tip of this thing hits bottom before my hand ever reaches the ice.

Successful print:
20240906_011027.jpg

Edit: And made available on makerworld

Last edited:
If you made it more duck-billed, you could even promote it as a tool to release your prints from the bed.

--Patrick