3d printing

Since I have a fully enclosed 3d printer, I figured I might as well give some more difficult materials a try.

PLA vs ABS, the hammer test :)

The enclosure does nothing to keep harmful vapours and particulates away from you unless it's ventilated. As someone who has printed ABS and ASA before, make sure you have adequate ventilation as ABS produces a ton of nasty stuff when you print with it.

The enclosure does nothing to keep harmful vapours and particulates away from you unless it's ventilated. As someone who has printed ABS and ASA before, make sure you have adequate ventilation as ABS produces a ton of nasty stuff when you print with it.
Yeah, the enclosure is mostly for keeping the chamber at the correct temp. But, my glowforge laser came with a super long exhaust hose. I repurposed that and routed it from the P1S case/exhaust fan out the nearby window.

Even so, the air in the room smelled vaugely like hot styrofoam, so I grabbed one of my covid-era N95 masks and mostly stayed out of there until the room had well ventilated. The printer enclosure is airtight, but I imagine most of the stuff got sucked out the fan and out the window.

(edit to correct a typo..."isn't airtight")

Last edited:
So, the house I bought came with American Standard Champion toilets. The flush valve is *not* compatible with any of the "universal flush valve" replacements you can get at Walmart for cheap. And, it's got a huge non-standard freaking nut holding it into the tank.

I wanted to just replace the gasket of this leaking toilet, but I didn't have anything that I could use to get the nut off. So, I ended up buying a whole $30.00 branded replacement valve. But I have calipers, and, you know, fuck these guys for that shit.

1726097996325.png
1726098003139.png

1726098014902.png

once my print test succeeds, I'm putting this damn thing on all of the maker sites.

Printed a couple tests that were slightly off in size. I was using my caliper on the inner surfaces of the octagon on the wrench, but I don't think I was getting a good reading. After a couple fudges, I was frustrated.

So, I stopped to run to the store to give my brain a chance to chew on it. Got back, measured the flat surfaces of the nut octagon (instead of trying to measure the wrench itself), found a website that would take that wall-to-wall measurement and convert it to a vertex to vertex measurement, and I cut that value in half, and put *that* in fusion when designing the thing.

Like a glove...

Most maker sites require you to post a picture of the whole print, so that's churning out now. Screw you American Standard ;)

Last edited:
I'm such a dude.

I'm looking at some software called ZBrush..if I get good at it, i can make my own non-engineering style models to print. So I opened it up, knowing nothing about it, saw that they had a bunch of demo projects to get you started, one of which was a naked female, all barbie-style with no bits.

So, of course, I had to fiddle around to see if I could give her a slit and nips
1726166344102.png

shelf brackets are so damn expensive, yo.

So, I had the wild idea to put a couple of shelves up in my booth at the local ren-faire next year. I thought I'd use my newly furnished workshop to cut some shelves, and just buy some shelf brackets from lowes or home depot or amazon. But at $7.00 to $50.00 each, screw that.

I can't print them in PLA...ABS is probably not the best since these will be experiencing a fair amount of UV. But since I've already tried ABS, TPU, and PETG in addition to PLA, why not give ASA a try? It's relatively inexpensive, and has good temperature and UV resistance. So much so, it's used for things like siding, garden furniture, and sports equipment.

1726437102060.png

I can print a pair of these for $2.50. Screw on some OSB that I have already in the workshop, and voila. Shelves on the cheap. And then I'd have a nifty place to store/display/market these goblets and mugs I've been making that I think will do great at a ren faire.

1726437276278.jpeg
1726437292567.jpeg

The room is closed off, ventilation is as per my ABS printing. And I'm pretty much staying out of the room for the next 6 hours.
Thankfully, my printer has a camera (albeit a pretty poor one) that lets me keep an eye on things from afar.
1726440822737.png

Last edited:
No center brace?
bratheth.png

Otherwise I would expect the center of the arc to bow out once compressed by weight from above that tries to make your 90deg angle into 89. Then 88, 87, etc.

--Patrick