3d printing

getting quite pleased with my Fusion progress. Someone saw my dragon light switch covers and asked if i could print one in a baseball theme. I couldn't find anything on the web, so I said "it's not that difficult of a geometry" and gave designing one from the ground up a shot. they were pleased and placed the order. Look at me, earning that $9.00/hour lol

1722366241322.png

gearing up for the spooky season..these key chain fobs will have actual key chains attached when the hardware arrives tomorrow
1722661738090.jpeg

It's crazy how fast I went from "where can I buy this thing I need?" to "I wonder if I can print this thing I need."
Call-back to this thought.
I own a safety razor, and the little disposal case I have for it is now full after 3 years. Got on Amazon to buy it again.
1723135660438.png

Fuck that, I say to myself. I find one online that I can print for about $1.50 in materials.
1723135695512.png

And while functional, it doesn't really look 'sleek'. So, I decide to see if I can stretch my Fusion skills some more to make one that more closely mimics the one I've been using.

1723135618472.png

I guess I'll find out in a couple hours if everything fits together :)

Tin, could you print a scale for me? This is a knife design that I am wild about. keep it under $50 and I'll buy it.

For the Lander 1.

Tin, could you print a scale for me? This is a knife design that I am wild about. keep it under $50 and I'll buy it.

For the Lander 1.
These are uncomplicated, low-materials prints. The Lander one comes with 2 models: "True to production" and "offset for 3d printing". I have no idea why the 3d printing one is marginally smaller. But I can print them both for you, and ship them for like $14.00 priority mail (basically $5.00 + shipping)

Did you want a specific color? Be aware that they print flat...so anything in a gradient filament probably won't look the way you want. They'll do gradients like this:
1723324258575.png

Not like this:
1723324317058.png

And there's probably not enough material here to actually get to a color change.

If you are willing to wait a couple days, I've got some cool special effects print bed plates coming.

Last edited:
Usually they're a little bit bigger, because some of the (resin) 3D printing methods and materials will shrink slightly during curing.

--Patrick
FDM can suffer from "elephant's foot"..where the bottom layers squish out wider than normal.
1723325696276.png

But that's a 'first couple layers' problem, and not something that would require a totally different model. Most modern, good 3d printers can compensate for this with software, and I've never actually experienced it in any of my prints.

These are uncomplicated, low-materials prints. The Lander one comes with 2 models: "True to production" and "offset for 3d printing". I have no idea why the 3d printing one is marginally smaller. But I can print them both for you, and ship them for like $14.00 priority mail (basically $5.00 + shipping)

Did you want a specific color? Be aware that they print flat...so anything in a gradient filament probably won't look the way you want. They'll do gradients like this:
View attachment 49139

Not like this:
View attachment 49142

And there's probably not enough material here to actually get to a color change.

If you are willing to wait a couple days, I've got some cool special effects print bed plates coming.
Could you look at 80s camo. I love the old woodland pattern.

Could you look at 80s camo. I love the old woodland pattern.
Well, "camo" isn't really a color :) It's 4-5 colors. Unfortunately, unlike 3d modeling software where I can lay a skin/material over a 3d shell, in 3d printing, I have to manually colorize stuff myself with primitive tools.
1723344169951.png

A quick mock-up looks something like
1723344208892.png

Just be aware that this introduces a lot of filament changes into a short number of layers. Which increases the cost quite a bit. We're talking more like $15.00 + shipping ($24.00 total).

Not to mention it will introduce multiple flaws into the strength of the material.

--Patrick
I'm not so sure this is true. I've printed plenty of multi-color items, and they don't seem to be inherently weaker at the color transition areas.

(including some with crazy expensive amounts of color changes
1723346049117.jpeg

)

How about orange with blue liner? or, let your imagination run wild.
Well, I wouldn't say I'm very imaginative at these kinds of thing. I'm good at coloring within the lines, so to speak :)
Orange and blue are pretty easy to do
1723392541651.png 1723392556907.png

Changing colors at a layer means only one color change, so we're back down to $5.00

Well, that just pushed me off the fence to get my fourth (!) 3d printer before they become difficult to acquire ;)
(Narrator's voice: It wasn't a Stratasys)

So, I've been slowly and continually making improvements to the 3d whistle project. I've recently gone from a curved blade to a straight blade, which has strengthened the volume, tone and the bell note. This was tricky. The curved blade happens naturally when you cut into a curved tube. The straight blade required me to put some hidden squared off geometry inside the whistle head, but in such a way that it didn't disturb the tuning, airflow, etc. I've been meaning to try this for a while, but it's been only recently that I felt my Fusion 360 skills had given me an understanding on what to do to make it happen.

I've also developed a C body that fits on the same head, so now I can sell C, D or C/D combo whistles/sets.

1723581472687.png

With the straight blade, now I need supports in that area, because, well, that's quite the bridge in an area where geometry really matters. Luckily, my slicer skills are also improving, so I was able to constrain the supports to this little tab in the windway hole that easily pops out.

1723581439955.png

Last edited: