>___< "In a Woman's World"

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty Sinatra

ElJuski said:
You know, I'm smarter than I look. Smart enough where I don't go ahead assuming what posters are thinking when they are writing something completely different. And using stereotypes and inverting stereotypes are two completely different concepts.
Well goddammit. I really wish you would try some assumption. I don't wanna write a dissertation-length post on the uses of stereotypes in comedy. I'd rather have to though since we are talking crossways. I would totally call inverting stereotypes as using them.

Anyway. That said. You close to what I'm getting at? I'm good for about another (newspaper-sized) paragraph if that would help clarify anything. Any more than a paragraph and I'm happy to leave it muddled. Ah fuck it. I'm actually happy to leave it muddled as is if it is so. hm, oh. ha! (nine two-letter words in a row! New record . . . ox)

S

Steven Soderburgin

But actually the humor in that movie has very little to do with stereotypes and more to do with funny conversations. I guess I could grant that it based somewhat on the characters expectations of each other based on where they're from as well, but it's really from a more fish-out-of-water angle than anything else.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kissinger said:
But actually the humor in that movie has very little to do with stereotypes and more to do with funny conversations. I guess I could grant that it based somewhat on the characters expectations of each other based on where they're from as well, but it's really from a more fish-out-of-water angle than anything else.

"I bet the chinese food around here is ter-rib-bull." -Tomei
"No self-respectin' southerner eats INSTANT grits." - Witness

Bear with me and let me just inject a little subjectivity into this discussion here for a moment. I work in a radio company. We have a Country station, a Mexican station, an Urban station, and we used to have a Rock station (but that format's all but dead now everywhere). I'm up to my armpits in stereotypes all day long. And one thing I have found is that it is possible for people to embrace their stereotype and yet still get along perfectly well with other, seemingly incompatible ones.

ElJuski

Staff member
Gruebeard said:
ElJuski said:
You know, I'm smarter than I look. Smart enough where I don't go ahead assuming what posters are thinking when they are writing something completely different. And using stereotypes and inverting stereotypes are two completely different concepts.
Well goddammit. I really wish you would try some assumption. I don't wanna write a dissertation-length post on the uses of stereotypes in comedy. I'd rather have to though since we are talking crossways. I would totally call inverting stereotypes as using them.

Anyway. That said. You close to what I'm getting at? I'm good for about another (newspaper-sized) paragraph if that would help clarify anything. Any more than a paragraph and I'm happy to leave it muddled. Ah fuck it. I'm actually happy to leave it muddled as is if it is so. hm, oh. ha! (nine two-letter words in a row! New record . . . ox)
Well there's no reason to be huffy about the need for clarification, especially if you're trying to have a conversation. And like I said, inverting stereotypes is a wholly different form of comedy than just plain using stereotypes. But if you're honestly saying you are talking about the inversion of stereotypes, and not just...stereotypes, then there isn't much to discuss.

S

Steven Soderburgin

GasBandit said:
Those are two lines from the movie, you're right.
Urban station
Just call it a rap station, damn.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kissinger said:
GasBandit said:
Those are two lines from the movie, you're right.
And further demonstration of stereotypes used successfully and accurately to comedic effect.

[quote:4he8hsd5]Urban station
Just call it a rap station, damn.[/quote:4he8hsd5]

I wish. The official industry title of the format is "CHR Urban" - short for Contemporary Hits Rhythmic - Urban." If you go around calling it a "rap station" you sound like you don't know what you're talking about to other radio people.

C

Chibibar

Cajungal said:
I *do* feel a little bad every time I make instant grits. But I have a lot to do, damnit!
heh.. I'm Asian.. I don't care if it is Instant ;)

S

Steven Soderburgin

GasBandit said:
And further demonstration of stereotypes used successfully and accurately to comedic effect.
Nah, not really.
I wish. The official industry title of the format is "CHR Urban" - short for Contemporary Hits Rhythmic - Urban." If you go around calling it a "rap station" you sound like you don't know what you're talking about to other radio people.
Ah, that's dumb.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kissinger said:
GasBandit said:
Nah, not really.
Now you're just in denial.

[quote:2dkt0nwe]I wish. The official industry title of the format is "CHR Urban" - short for Contemporary Hits Rhythmic - Urban." If you go around calling it a "rap station" you sound like you don't know what you're talking about to other radio people.
Ah, that's dumb.[/quote:2dkt0nwe]
You think that's dumb, wait till I tell you about the billion different flavors of "AC" (Adult Contemporary).

Cajungal

Staff member
Chibibar said:
Cajungal said:
I *do* feel a little bad every time I make instant grits. But I have a lot to do, damnit!
There's pre-cooked microwave RICE at the Asian market down the street from my apartment. Miracle of miracles! It's this perfect little serving. I can just throw it in there and plop it down next to my chicken and voila. C'est fini.

C

Chibibar

Cajungal said:
Chibibar said:
Cajungal said:
There's pre-cooked microwave RICE at the Asian market down the street from my apartment. Miracle of miracles! It's this perfect little serving. I can just throw it in there and plop it down next to my chicken and voila. C'est fini.
no self respectin' Asian would eat Instant rice!! ;)

Cajungal

Staff member
I feel a little tinge of shame in it myself as a former culinary arts student... but on the other hand, instant stuff gives me more time with you people.... and school stuff too, of course. :p

GasBandit said:
Kissinger said:
GasBandit said:
Look, the long and short of it is this - feminism shouldn't be about enforced gender androgyny
I agree! It should be about everyone, man or woman, choosing who they want to be regardless of what is expected of them by society at large! It should be about breaking down those stereotypes and - oh, you weren't done talking.
because variety is the spice of life and vive la difference and all that rot. Everybody's different, but no matter how different you are, people are going to make fun of you. It's what they do. It's a bad idea to let them know they're getting to you, but none are so pathetic as the would-be white knights who get hyper-offended on someone else's behalf who might not even be offended themselves. Not only does it insult them because you think you know what they are thinking when you don't, but it also insults them by showing you don't think they can stick up for themselves.
Oh.

Welp, I guess you're right. I guess all those non-blacks who supported the Civil Rights movement should've just stopped white (heh) knighting. I guess all those straight people who want equal rights for gays should stop insulting the gays by letting them stick up for themselves.
I don't know; he seems more like a Sancho Panza to me.

Oh wait, the argument ended while I was at work? Fuck... FUUUUUCK!

C

Chazwozel

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Edrondol said:
Lifetime is the worst at stereotyping women. Just like Maxim and SpikeTV stereotypes men. Know why? Because these stereotypes exist for a reason.

Both cater to those who exemplify the gender in popular culture - the woman who wants equality while still getting romance and having the door held open for her; the guy who appears vulnerable but can still kick * and get the hot chicks to take off their tops in his Camero.

I've never understood why we're trying to hard to fix the obvious and genetically built in differences between men & women instead of celebrating these differences.
Do you honestly think women are genetically built in to be more emotional and men are genetically disposed to be stoic and emotionally "strong"?

Here's a hint. They are.

It's quite simple. On a genetic level ( seeing as genes went to be reproduced and passed on to progeny), women are genetically inclined to have babies and take care of said babies. Emotionally, men are significantly different. Look at Chimps and Gorillas - our closest living mammals on a genetic level, strip mankind of it's culture and we're reduced to a society that mimics Chimps and Gorillas to a tea, i.e females have offspring and males breed with as many females as possible. Males compete amongst each other for harem dominance. Males protect their offspring, but in no way do they emotionally interact like females do.

Sorry chief thems be the birds and the bees, and where femnazism fails.

K

Kitty Sinatra

ElJuski said:
And like I said, inverting stereotypes is a wholly different form of comedy than just plain using stereotypes.
See, to me "Using stereotypes" is all about every use of them: Inverting, reverting, subverting and just plain verting.

-- Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:13 pm --

Chazwozel said:
Wait, weren't you talking about Humans and Apes. Where'd these birds and bees come from?

ElJuski

Staff member
Gruebeard said:
ElJuski said:
And like I said, inverting stereotypes is a wholly different form of comedy than just plain using stereotypes.
See, to me "Using stereotypes" is all about every use of them: Inverting, reverting, subverting and just plain verting.

-- Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:13 pm --

Chazwozel said:
Wait, weren't you talking about Humans and Apes. Where'd these birds and bees come from?
So making a chink-joke is the same as calling out the absurdity of the chink-joke?

S

Steven Soderburgin

Gruebeard said:
Yes. They both use the stereotype as the basis of the joke.
Are you honestly saying that there is no difference between exploiting a stereotype for a joke (For example: Man, isn't it funny how Asians say "r" like "l") and satirizing a stereotype for a joke? (For example: Dave Chappelle's body of work)

You gotta misplace the stereotypes. Have nurses eat donuts, make cops slutty, have blacks eat cats, have Asians put rims on their cars, have a woman style gay guy's hair, have a gay guy die for a sale.

ElJuski

Staff member
Gruebeard said:
Yes. They both use the stereotype as the basis of the joke.
For ---COMPLETELY--- different reasons. One of them is stupid and ignorant. The other points out the stupidity and ignorance.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I'm not exploring the differences. I'm saying that when I referred to using a stereotype, I didn't mean using it one way or another. So, yes it's the same no matter how offensive, crude, clever or subversive the joke is intended to be, or whether it's used conciously or subconciously. The stereotype is still being used.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Gruebeard said:
I'm not exploring the differences. I'm saying that when I referred to using a stereotype, I didn't mean using it one way or another. So, yes it's the same no matter how offensive, crude, clever or subversive the joke is intended to be, or whether it's used conciously or subconciously. The stereotype is still being used.
So you don't distinguish a joke based on intent. You see a stereotype and it is laugh city for you. Is that what you're saying? You've backpedaled so much that I am really confused what you think your original point was.

ElJuski

Staff member
Kissinger said:
Gruebeard said:
So you don't distinguish a joke based on intent. You see a stereotype and it is laugh city for you. Is that what you're saying? You've backpedaled so much that I am really confused what you think your original point was.
Yeah, what Kissinger said...

Status
Not open for further replies.