A.I. is B.S.

Too lazy to bother, so just pretend this is an AI mash-up of Bear Grylls doing the Jack Nickelson head nodding gif.

So now that ChatGPT is free, i though to ask it a few questions, like:

what is the purpose of meaning :

The purpose of meaning is a profound question that has been pondered by philosophers, psychologists, and thinkers for centuries. While there may not be a single definitive answer, many perspectives converge on the idea that meaning provides direction, fulfillment, and significance to our lives.

1. **Guidance**: Meaning can serve as a compass, guiding our actions and decisions. When we have a sense of purpose or meaning, we are more likely to make choices that align with our values and goals.

2. **Fulfillment**: Meaning gives us a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. It provides a deeper sense of connection to our actions, relationships, and experiences, enhancing our overall well-being.

3. **Resilience**: Having a sense of meaning can help us cope with challenges and adversity. When we understand the significance of our experiences, we may be better equipped to find meaning even in difficult circumstances, which can foster resilience and perseverance.

4. **Connection**: Meaning often involves a sense of connection—to others, to the world around us, and to something greater than ourselves. This connection can cultivate empathy, compassion, and a sense of belonging.

5. **Legacy**: Many people seek meaning as a way to leave a lasting impact or legacy. Whether through personal accomplishments, contributions to society, or the relationships we nurture, we hope to create something meaningful that will endure beyond our own lives.

Ultimately, the pursuit of meaning is deeply personal and varies from individual to individual. It encompasses questions of identity, purpose, morality, and existence, and it often evolves over time as we grow, learn, and experience life.
and

2 + 2 = mount rushmore

It seems like you're referencing an equation humorously. While "2 + 2 = Mount Rushmore" may not be a mathematically accurate statement, it's reminiscent of the way we sometimes play with language and ideas for amusement or to make a point. Mount Rushmore is a well-known landmark featuring the faces of four prominent U.S. presidents carved into the side of a mountain, so the equation serves as a playful juxtaposition.
Clearly it hasn't watched enough Cartoon Network.

I've been trying to spread word to my friends and family that they should not use AI as a search engine, because it will lie to you.

I guess Google needs to be told this.

View attachment 48250
This shit is funny for all of you (and I can't blame you for that). But It's a fucking nightmare as a teacher. One of my colleagues called out a student in his AP Research class (a college-level course on research skills!) for using AI. The student's reply was to try to shame the teacher for being old-fashioned and claiming that AI was always trustworthy.

We're raising an entire generation of kids who don't know how AI works, thinks it's 100% accurate all the time, and don't want to even bother thinking about it critically.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
This shit is funny for all of you.
No, it's not funny. I find it infuriating and terrifying (no hyperbole there, I'm not scared of it being Skynet, I'm scared of it poisoning information sources, among other things). I realize that you have to deal with it a lot more on a day-to-day basis than I do, but I definitely don't find this amusing.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I've tried to inform my friends and family about what's going on, because I think it's a serious issue that's going to cause problems if nothing is done to stop it.

As an employee at a very large company, I can only say that I am absolutely terrified as well, both of the current use and what management and apparently untechsavvy or just naive or whatever IT folks think it can and will do and where we're going with it.
Think customer service is bad now? Give it five years. Good luck, the chatbots of yesteryear will look absolutely helpful in retrospect.
Development, evolution of service,
Options presented,... If it's up to certain people everything which should have some measure of human input - what discount should a specific customer get, what market segment should we target, how do we solve this issue of a customer having faced a problem caused by our systems failing, what compensation do we offer - will be up to AI... And the crappy drudgery will still be human, ever more administration with ever more ridiculous rules and sets....
As the meme says - computers were supposed to take over the crap work so we could be creative, not the other way around!

To make AI generated art look good you have to spend hours and hours inpainting and then tweaking and editing in photoshop. You never get really good stuff just from prompts. Even when using complicated Lora's and such you still need to spend a lot of time cleaning it up.

GasBandit's post about hiring AI prompters makes me laugh as those kind of people don't know anything about finishing off their images or modifying them. Hell it sounds like they don't even understand inpainting (or they aren't using programs that support it which forces them to keep doing hundreds of generative prompts to get close to what they need.

I've been dabbling with AI art as a hobby over the past while and the improvements from over a year ago are massive, but they still require work. No magic "Just type in the prompt" and get exactly what you want. It doesn't work that way.

I think it was SMBC but it might have been xkcd or another webcomic that summed it up....
"aren't you afraid of your job as coder? Soon you'll be replaced by AI ! You just need to give the machine clear instructions and it'll do exactly what we want!"
"sure, we in the business have a word to describe giving a machine clear instructions so they'll do what you want - it's called code".

I think it was SMBC but it might have been xkcd or another webcomic that summed it up....
"aren't you afraid of your job as coder? Soon you'll be replaced by AI ! You just need to give the machine clear instructions and it'll do exactly what we want!"
"sure, we in the business have a word to describe giving a machine clear instructions so they'll do what you want - it's called code".
Exactly this. Can someone achieve good results generating ai images and then altering them by hand to achieve the desired results? Sure. But those alterations require knowledge and skill. And by that point of you have the ability to do those, your are no longer an "ai artist," you're just an artist

Exactly this. Can someone achieve good results generating ai images and then altering them by hand to achieve the desired results? Sure. But those alterations require knowledge and skill. And by that point of you have the ability to do those, your are no longer an "ai artist," you're just an artist
Yeah I guess that's true. I have a background in photoshop so I probably take that for granted. I do know a lot of "AI prompt bro's" though that don't know anything about how their AI actually generates outputs and certainly don't use the current programs to their fullest (ie learning is hard!).

I run a local copy of Stable Diffusion on my own janky AI server. It takes a LOT more effort and knowledge to generate good looking images but you have significantly more control over what you can do compared to something like Midjourney.

Funnily enough Reddit has become my defacto search engine largely because of that. Nearly any search I do for info is prepended by "reddit" these days, within reason.

It really depends on the topic, but yeah. Google especially is a terrible piece of trash these days, with the combination of sponsored links and AI junk taking easily the first 10-15 spots.

See, I'm sure #11 is hilariously wrong and everything, but I can't say what the problem is. I guess some/all of those didn't attend Berkeley?
Andrew Jackson, the 7th US president, died in 1845. Unless he's a time traveler, it'd be tricky for him to graduate in 2005.

Andrew Johnson, the 17th US president, died in 1875. So he's either a vampire or a Time Lord to graduate that many times.

That should give you a good idea for how wrong the rest is. The only one that might be correct is Gerald Ford.

figmentPez

Staff member
Andrew Jackson, the 7th US president, died in 1845. Unless he's a time traveler, it'd be tricky for him to graduate in 2005.

Andrew Johnson, the 17th US president, died in 1875. So he's either a vampire or a Time Lord to graduate that many times.

That should give you a good idea for how wrong the rest is. The only one that might be correct is Gerald Ford.
Nick, you're talking about image 10, UW-Madison graduates. Image 11 is a different list.

figmentPez

Staff member