[PC Game] Bioshock Infinite (beware of spoilers)

I guess I'd ask what the point of the "boss fight" is anyway? Is it merely a way to artificially ramp up and down the difficulty, and thus the adrenaline of the game so you don't suffer from fatigue staying at the same level of tenseness? Or is it a challenge that's meant to provide the player with a sense of success upon completion? Or something else?

I found only three points in BSI that were annoyingly challenging, the handyman (just the first one), the ghost, and saving the generator. And these stemmed from my poor use of vigors - I rarely used them throughout the game.

But I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment from any of them, they were just tedious and annoying. I assumed it was simply because I rarely play games like this, but perhaps it's not just me.

I still enjoyed the game - it was much easier than I expected it to be since I haven't played FPS games in so long, and the story and most of the gameplay was enjoyable. This didn't detract from it, it simply was what it was.

I loved the Handymen battles. It was the only enemy type that made me go "Oh fuck I gotta get out of here!"

Boss fights serve lots of functions. Adrenaline due to challenge, milestones/markers for progress, climax for an area of the game (not really relevant for a game like Bioshock Infinite though), test of the skills you've learned and used up to that point. I enjoy games that are challenging, so I look forward to good boss fights. Part of what makes me enjoy God of War II and III is the abundance of boss fights (compared to the other God of War games).

But like you said, you don't normally play games like this, so those aspects probably won't appeal and the addition of bosses will seem like pointless obstacles.

I'm going to give it another play through on 1999 mode. I'm sure I'll have to lower the difficulty eventually. I can handle tough challenges on a PC game, but an Xbox controller is not my favorite FPS tool.

Not to mention ramping up the difficulty to compare with games that were out around 1999, which didn't have regenerating health, less save points, etc.

Not to mention ramping up the difficulty to compare with games that were out around 1999, which didn't have regenerating health, less save points, etc.
Yeah, this, absolutely. I'm playing the Gamecube Resident Evil remake from just a couple years later. It isn't kicking my ass exactly, but each time I turn it on, it wracks my nerves because I'm just not used to playing a game with limited inventory, or a lack of checkpoints. That's become scarier than the monsters or atmosphere. Even the original Super Mario Bros. can have checkpoints on my 3DS, but Resident Evil's been messing me up because I've taken modern video game conveniences for granted.

I'm looking forward to playing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode; I just want to let some more time pass between playthroughs.

First half of the game, I stuck with Sniper Rifle/Murder of Crows upgraded so that when someone dies with crows on them, it turns into a crow trap. Kept pretty much everyone imobilized if you could keep get them bunched up.

Second half, I switched to Sniper Rifle/Shock Jockey with the chain lightning upgrade.

Are you a PC man? I have not yet adapted to the Xbox controller for a lot of aiming. It's definitely a pain. Auto Aim helps, but not so much with moving targets.

I'm on PC, but I use the Xbox controller for games. I've actually become more comfortable with it than the mouse keyboard combo.

I'm on PC, but I use the Xbox controller for games. I've actually become more comfortable with it than the mouse keyboard combo.
Really? That's interesting. Question though. If you can use an xbox controller for a PC, does that mean I can use a wireless keyboard and mouse on the xbox?

GasBandit

Staff member
I pretty much used the carbine for 90% of the game once I'd gotten it, and used the fire vigor except when against fire enemies, then I'd switch to shock jockey. But I was only playing on normal.

I pretty much used the carbine for 90% of the game once I'd gotten it, and used the fire vigor except when against fire enemies, then I'd switch to shock jockey. But I was only playing on normal.
Ditto, Carbine was kind of the ultimate all purpose gun. I alternated between the hand cannon and the shotgun for my backup weapon. I used the Fire/Shock jockey a ton although once I had fully upgraded crows I had quite a bit of fun with that.

MoC seems like a lot of fun, and my first run through I think I used it the most. Though I never upgraded it. Once I got shock jockey I started using that a bit. I never really tried Bucking Branco, Return to Sender, Charge, or Undertow. I may have to play around with them.

I used the carbine and the shotgun as my fully ugraded weapons all the way through. I definitely want to try a different combination the second time through. Maybe the hand cannon and/or the heater.

Does anyone know if it's even possible to buy Bucking Branco from the vending machine in the fair at the beginning of the game? 350 is a lot of coins, and usually I can only get just short of 200 before I have to move on to the next section and can no longer go back.

MoC seems like a lot of fun, and my first run through I think I used it the most. Though I never upgraded it. Once I got shock jockey I started using that a bit. I never really tried Bucking Branco, Return to Sender, Charge, or Undertow. I may have to play around with them.

I used the carbine and the shotgun as my fully ugraded weapons all the way through. I definitely want to try a different combination the second time through. Maybe the hand cannon and/or the heater.

Does anyone know if it's even possible to buy Bucking Branco from the vending machine in the fair at the beginning of the game? 350 is a lot of coins, and usually I can only get just short of 200 before I have to move on to the next section and can no longer go back.
I don't think there's a way to buy it without having the pre-order bonus of extra starting money

I used undertow on fights where bitches were up on ships and I was on the ground, other than that I stuck with the fire and shock jockey.

For me the hardest part of 1999 mode was the first part after the raffle. You barely have enough money to respawn once before it kicks you out to the menu on a death. The automatons in that area suck, and then that fireman was pretty hairy.

After that I pretty much used the machine gun/sniper combo until later on when I swapped out the shotgun for the machine gun. Bucking Bronco was actually pretty useful, especially in areas where you could shoot mobs off the platforms & let them fall to their deaths (also for the Crowmen).

MoC was good for scouting out mobs behind cover. I think ultimately I upgraded Possession to make hitting vending machines cheaper & so mobs would off themselves, Shock Jockey to chain & get longer stuns, & Undertow to increase range & # of targets. Charge & Return to sender didn't do much for me. Undertow with multiple targets in cover + shotgun = game over (especially in emporia in the plaza with the snipers).

Infusions - I maxxed out the shield first, then the salts, & spent the remainder on health. Weapons I maxxed out the machine gun, sniper rifle & shotgun.

I had been told that you'd need the 5x crit hat for "boss" mobs, but with my luck holding out as usual, I didn't get that piece until the very last one. What WAS important was the Winter's Chill which gave you invulnerability when dismounting a skyline. Between that, the knockback & the reload gear, I would just spend fights hopping on & off skylines. The main fights that gave me trouble were the theater in the Good Time Club (the patriots suck), the Handyman after Fitzroy kills Fink, & the 3 fights with the siren (key tactic I used was to zap the mobs before I killed them, so they disintegrate. Then you get the siren solo.)

As for the story itself, I thought it was well done. My favorite part was in the tower when Elizabeth opens the tear to Paris, but most of that is due to the song "Everybody wants to Rule the World" in the background. This & the 1912 remix in Fink's shop in Emporia. That song is one of my all time faves.

Just finished Burial At Sea. Pt 1

It's okay. I mean it's very short, though I suppose it has every right to be. The story is pretty strong, and fits in nicely with the other Bioshocks, seeing as how they kind of combined them here.
I loved finding the audio records. A few of them are pretty enlightening.
Such as finding out why Vigors are Plasmids you can drink.
The ending caught me off guard again. Though it does ask some questions. And please. These are major spoilers. So don't click unless you really really really want to know.
If the ending of Infinite was that they stopped Comstock from existing completely, why are you Comstock?
oh and not a question but...
I totally cringed when baby Anna was decapitated. Being a dad of an infant certainly made that a bit heart twisting.

Looking forward to part 2. I wonder how it's going to continue from where part 1 leaves off.

Another dimension? Another Comstock/Booker? Will this Comstock survive or will he be turned into a Big Daddy?

Haven't finished it yet. I'm probably getting close, but whatever article I read yesterday saying it was less than two hours probably just ran around killing splicers. It's short, sure, but you don't guzzle a fine wine like it's gatorade. Bioshock should be enjoyed and I take in the atmosphere.

I want to pose thoughts and questions, but I'll wait until I finish in case any are answered by the end of part 1. I'll likely finish it Saturday; won't have time tomorrow (that I know of).

There's only so much to savour...considering how little there is beyond the first bit that isn't just gunplay.

Haven't finished it yet. I'm probably getting close, but whatever article I read yesterday saying it was less than two hours probably just ran around killing splicers. It's short, sure, but you don't guzzle a fine wine like it's gatorade. Bioshock should be enjoyed and I take in the atmosphere.
That's good to hear, I heard it was about 90 mins, which was disappointing.

That's good to hear, I heard it was about 90 mins, which was disappointing.
It took me more than 30 to get to where any action happens; I wanted to hear what NPCs were discussing, check out the locations, and find hidden audio logs. There's plenty to do if you're enjoying it. Whoever finished it in under two hours certainly didn't find all the logs (and probably wasn't the type who cares).

I finished it in about 3 hours. And I did take my time to run around and explore the first part before the fighting starts.

There's only so much to savour...considering how little there is beyond the first bit that isn't just gunplay.
While I agree the meat of experience would be pre-combat, there's still plenty to see beyond there.

It's nice how much this feels like the first Bioshock. Infinite is more of a gauntlet, while the original game was about caution. This had me creeping around corners and hitting splicers upside the head, which is a nice feeling.

I'm not knocking anyone who thinks what's offered is meager for the price. I bought the Season Pass in March, not expecting that one of the three DLCs would be a pointless challenge mode. So essentially this is $10 to me--which is what I paid for the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim.

There isn't a lot to it, but what's present is good. Hopefully Part 2 will be more extensive. I certainly wouldn't recommend paying $15 for it.

Finished it, and my questions echo Shawnacy's.

I guess in at least one timeline, the stealing of Anna went horribly wrong, and to escape it, Comstock went through the Lutece machine to fuse with another biological duplicate in another timeline, this one being where Booker exists in Rapture.

However, there shouldn't be any more Comstocks. There shouldn't be any Elizabeths either. Possibly this is something that had existed, but now doesn't after the end of Infinite.

Last edited:
Finished it, and my questions echo Shawnacy's.

I guess in at least one timeline, the stealing of Anna went horribly wrong, and to escape it, Comstock went through the Lutece machine to fuse with another biological duplicate in another timeline, this one being where Booker exists in Rapture.

However, there shouldn't be any more Comstocks. There shouldn't be any Elizabeths either. Possibly this is something that had existed, but now doesn't after the end of Infinite.
A work associate had an interesting theory, which I'm guessing is actually what the creators must have had in mind, as I don't see it making much "sense" otherwise. Basically because he escaped into another dimension and became Booker, per help from the Letuce Twins, he was spared the genocide (used loosely) of all the Comstocks. But yeah. There is the whole "but if he was Comstock before, how could he exist if they got rid of all the Comstocks." And to that I say... "fuck if I know." The damn thing makes no sense. Basically we're suppose to just assume that Elizabeth is basically a God, the Letuce Twins are angels, and there are so many dimensions any crazy thing can happen. I guess if I had to take a guess... Comstock became Booker. This spared him, despite him originally being Comstock, cause apparently these dimension thingies don't always take time into consideration when you screw around with another dimension's reality. If he becomes Booker in one dimension, then he is and always has been Booker. The Dimension basically fixes itself to accommodate you (nose bleeds) and you are effectively saved from the effects of another dimension. So basically the chain reaction that Elizabeth set off to destroy the Comstocks couldn't find him. It might also explain the parallels with the infinite dimension, such as the grabber tool and the presence of "windows" to the infinite dimension. Elizabeth had a term for it, but I forget what she used.

A work associate had an interesting theory, which I'm guessing is actually what the creators must have had in mind, as I don't see it making much "sense" otherwise. Basically because he escaped into another dimension and became Booker, per help from the Letuce Twins, he was spared the genocide (used loosely) of all the Comstocks. But yeah. There is the whole "but if he was Comstock before, how could he exist if they got rid of all the Comstocks." And to that I say... "fuck if I know." The damn thing makes no sense. Basically we're suppose to just assume that Elizabeth is basically a God, the Letuce Twins are angels, and there are so many dimensions any crazy thing can happen. I guess if I had to take a guess... Comstock became Booker. This spared him, despite him originally being Comstock, cause apparently these dimension thingies don't always take time into consideration when you screw around with another dimension's reality. If he becomes Booker in one dimension, then he is and always has been Booker. The Dimension basically fixes itself to accommodate you (nose bleeds) and you are effectively saved from the effects of another dimension. So basically the chain reaction that Elizabeth set off to destroy the Comstocks couldn't find him. It might also explain the parallels with the infinite dimension, such as the grabber tool and the presence of "windows" to the infinite dimension. Elizabeth had a term for it, but I forget what she used.
Constants and variables. Elizabeth seems a bit older too.

I mentioned this theory to Julie, but cut myself off when I came back around to "but if he was Comstock before" issue. Though crossing timelines does not originate with Elizabeth, of course; it's the Luteces who made that possible. We're accepting that a Comstock got Anna killed, felt horrible, and asked the Luteces to put him somewhere where he could escape. Fusing with his biological identical, a Booker who would have existed regardless of Comstock, he's spared the chain reaction. Maybe the elimination of Comstock's origin wouldn't touch him hiding in this situation, but we still have the problem that Dr. Suchong saw Columbia through tears that emerged thanks to Elizabeth's presence. Not to mention, this doesn't cover Elizabeth, because without Comstock, there is no Elizabeth, since Anna would not be stolen. In Infinite's ending, eliminating Comstock eliminates all Elizabeths.

I really hope Part 2 explains this stuff and that it won't be left to a bunch of fanwanking, because Infinite was succinct and well thought-out. Any plot hole had an answer within the narrative and tied up its loose ends. This DLC just opened a new can of worms. Also:

In one of the elevator descents, everything went fuzzy and there was a nosebleed, meaning at that very moment either another Booker had fused with the one we'd been playing as, or the one we'd been playing as entered a tear, if we're going by the rules and visual cues of the main game. My original theory was that Elizabeth realized Sally was dead in the Rapture timeline she had entered and moved them to one where Sally was possibly still alive.