Can Bioware be redeemed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and it occurred to me that I hadn't mentioned that when Morrigan got all Laina on me, I hadn't yet engaged in any romance with said redhead, just gone through a couple of her conversation trees.

(waiting for someone to say something to the effect of "is that what the kids are calling it these days")...

Anyway, point is, I hadn't even pursued her romantically up to that point, just had a couple conversations, and suddenly Morrigan goes all Dere Dere on me.

Morrigan was supposed to be fickle and irrational. For all her cool evil bitchitude, she was still someone that lived most of her life isolated and lacked people skills.

Her and Isabellea in DA2 have a lot in common for the romance. It seems like the easiest one to pursue, but there's a point or two in it where you can royally fuck it all up because they're both so loaded with baggage.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, that's probably what annoyed me the most. I have rice-paper thin tolerance for baggage even in real life, I won't stomach it in a game I play for fun.

Hell, in my current playthrough I got Morrigan on accident. Just taking an interest in her life makes her all ga-ga for you.

In DA2 I went with Merril first, and then Isabella the second play. I wasn't a fan of the staggering of the romance/personal story in DA2, it was done in a really jilted fashion compared to other BioWare games. Or felt like it, anyway. The points when you could progress seemed to pop up at random intervals in the main story.

The worst romance I had was Jack in ME2, mostly because it was entirely accidental. I was just picking the nice, conversational options, all the while wanting to romance Tali. However when I went to do the final romance with Tali, she was like "But you are with Jack". My eyebrows raised right off my face in surprise.

I had to go "break up" with Jack to finish my Tali romance, and Jack was basically super pissed off. After breaking it off for the rest of the game she wouldn't even talk to me, clicking on her just making her say "Fuck you!". Sheeesh.

I forgot, Jack is another one you can fuck up pretty easily. If you agree to sleep with her early on she'll resent you or something and the romance won't move on to the next tier.

Speaking of ME, does anyone know of a really good save-game editor for ME2. I want my choices from that game, but don't want to play all the way through again. If you start ME3 without a save game, it gives you 2 options. Lots of people died, or a few people died, and that's it.

Screw Miranda, I let her die on purpose in the ME2 finale and saved everyone else.

Also, responding with ME3 sucks anyway is not a valid response.

There are, like 10 paragon saves with no romances and really weird choices. . I guess if I really want my decisions carried over, I'll have to play through. I thought there were actual editors out there where you could adjust the decisions made.

Been playing DA:O again, been 2 years.

It goes down well with fine wine. So good.

When I close the game and go to bed every night, I shed a single tear at the memory of how Bioware used to be.

The worst romance I had was Jack in ME2, mostly because it was entirely accidental. I was just picking the nice, conversational options, all the while wanting to romance Tali. However when I went to do the final romance with Tali, she was like "But you are with Jack". My eyebrows raised right off my face in surprise.

I had to go "break up" with Jack to finish my Tali romance, and Jack was basically super pissed off. After breaking it off for the rest of the game she wouldn't even talk to me, clicking on her just making her say "Fuck you!". Sheeesh.
That kinda happened to me in ME 1, I wanted to get with Tali for like 2/3rds of the game but I didn't realize how Bioware was dueing it's romance mechanic ques as opposed to DA:O so I did not get any romantic dialogue. HOwever I got into a romantic relationship with the human girl in ME1(I can't even recall her name lol) by accident but just went with it because I was so close to finishing the game I didnt think I would have time to correct it.

However certain events happened that prevented human chica from surviving to ME2 so I played it she was kept in Shepard's heart but he went to pursue Tali in the second and third installment now that I knew how to get the proper dialogue options to appear.

That kinda happened to me in ME 1, I wanted to get with Tali for like 2/3rds of the game but I didn't realize how Bioware was dueing it's romance mechanic ques as opposed to DA:O so I did not get any romantic dialogue. HOwever I got into a romantic relationship with the human girl in ME1(I can't even recall her name lol) by accident but just went with it because I was so close to finishing the game I didnt think I would have time to correct it.

However certain events happened that prevented human chica from surviving to ME2 so I played it she was kept in Shepard's heart but he went to pursue Tali in the second and third installment now that I knew how to get the proper dialogue options to appear.
Tali wasn't a romance option in ME 1. She was like 16 then.

Yeah I didn't realize Tali wasn't an option in ME1 until nearly the end of the game, so I went with Liara. Dumped her for Tali in ME2, though.

"So the quarian you were talking to over the extranet was sixteen quarian years old, you say? Well, given the differences between quarian and human physiology and maturation rates, as well as the time dilation effect the quarian would go through due to the Migrant Fleet's constant FTL travel, that'd make her... in human years... let's see... I'll just plug these numbers into the converter on my omni-tool here...

Okay, the omni-tool doesn't seem to be working...

All right, can this wait? This omni-tool needs some calibrations."

Aw, hell. At least a few of you guys need to buy DA3/ME4. I'll be anxiously waiting your feedback to see whether I should waste money on it. (If Bioware fucks with my husbando Alistair, shit's gonna get real.)

Also:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/368/index/14795358/1

This mod makes the Mass Effect series playable again. No more Starchild, no more RGB. If I close my eyes and pretend really hard, I can go to a happier place where Bioware didn't royally fuck up one of my favorite trilogies. But seriously, between that and the Extended Cut, the ending feels pretty OK -- good enough that I decided to do a second playthrough right away so I could tap some blue ass, anyway.

Someone... someone modded out the bad ending? I didn't even know that's possible!

I may end up getting ME3 someday.

Also, is there a regenerating ammo mod for ME3? IE, a return to the heat sink system from ME1. I ask because thermal clips are STUPID and DUMB.

Someone... someone modded out the bad ending? I didn't even know that's possible!

I may end up getting ME3 someday.
Yup. It's totally gone. They also added a little bit to the Extended Cut that Bioware released:

Shep's still alive, reunites with crew (including super brief scene with LI, if they're on the Normandy), EDI/Geth still alive

Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb held off playing ME3 until he could play it with all the DLC and his opinion of the game is WILDLY different from those who played it straight out of the box. So much so, he put it on his game of the year list. That being said, he realizes, as do I that for DLC to be required (some of which is paid DLC to boot) for a story to be good is just horrible. I still haven't played through ME3 yet, and will be doing so with all the DLC, so I'm interested to see if I will hate it as much as those who played through it at release.

And isn't that really the danger of DLC? Making games that are incomplete unless you buy additional content. Asura's Wrath apparently did the same thing. The actual finale of the game was paid DLC.

HowDroll - As someone who's not played ME2 or ME3, should I get this mod when I install ME3?
YES. Yes yes yes! Spare yourself the pain of experiencing Bioware's shitty ending altogether.

EDIT: Make sure you install both the Extended Cut (which is free) and this mod pretty early on in the game. There's a point of no return toward the end of the game, and if you don't install them before that point, you'll have to reload an earlier save.

YES. Yes yes yes! Spare yourself the pain of experiencing Bioware's shitty ending altogether.

EDIT: Make sure you install both the Extended Cut (which is free) and this mod pretty early on in the game. There's a point of no return toward the end of the game, and if you don't install them before that point, you'll have to reload an earlier save.
So just install it all at the beginning of ME3? Sounds easy enough.

Yessir. The installation process is kind of a pain in the ass, but definitely worth it.

Also, if you haven't played ME2, you should probably get (at the very minimum) Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC. Arrival is pretty good, too. Both add a lot to the overall story and are quite fun. Whether you should get the rest of the DLC depends on how big of a fan you are and how much money you have ;)

For the paid DLC, I'd rank them as:

Overlord: Great
Shadow Broker: Great
Arrival: Decent
Kasumi: Decent
Firepower pack: Non-essential, but the weapons do mix things up a bit.

Everything else is Bioware going "I can haz moar money please?" Especially the alternate appearance packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.