Coronavirus Thread

We're currently getting tens of thousands of new cases a day here in Taiwan. The news said Taiwan is currently leading the world in daily infections. Yay us?

The guy who sits in the cubicle next to mine tested positive today, so I'm gonna be working from home for the rest of the week.

Tracked infections, maybe. But I would be stunned if America doesn't have significantly more, that just aren't reported in any way, now that testing is no longer free.
Same for much of Europe. Omicron isn't as deadly or as sickmaking so people have pretty much stopped caring or worrying.

Omicron seems to have most of the long-term effects, but not as many of the short-term ones.
So, much like the economy or environment, people aren't as concerned about it any more.

--Patrick

Tracked infections, maybe. But I would be stunned if America doesn't have significantly more, that just aren't reported in any way, now that testing is no longer free.
There's a recent scientific paper out that indicates that the COVID death numbers in the US are significantly higher than reported, mostly because red areas of the country under-reported deaths as COVID related for social and political reasons.

If you can get your hands on Paxlovid it really helped me (at least I think it did since theres no way to know for sure). I had a shitty fever, and within 12 hours of taking it, my symptoms never rose above the level of a cold.

Personally, I gave up trying to avoid it. Both my kids schools finally gave up on masks and distancing two months ago, so at this rate it's less a question of IF and more a question of WHEN. Still wear a mask myself depending on where I go, and also wash my hands and use hand sanitizer in the car when doing errands. Just got to hope my vaccine and booster does it's job when the time comes.

I gave up trying to avoid it.
I deliberately didn't give up, was trying reeeeeal hard to avoid it even though I also have all my shots (though my next booster would've been next month). And I don't feel like I failed. Heck, I managed to avoid it for ~2.5 yrs. I just wish it'd been longer.

--Patrick

We have so many teachers sick that we couldn't get substitutes for everyone at my school. There are 5 (!!) teachers with no subs at all. My admin is scrambling desperately to cobble together some sort of plan.

Covid is kicking our ass, again.
Same with my wife's school. Last night at around 9pm she received a call from one of the substitutes who was supposed to be working today. The sub tested positive. So she had to scramble to find another sub.

Dave

Staff member
I still can't believe I didn't get it after my wife tested positive. We were taking 0 precautions. Only thing I can figure is that maybe I had it prior to her but was largely asymptomatic so I didn't know.

Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones who end up with anosmia. Everything smells like shit now. I mean that literally. Everything smells like feces to me. That pickle I grabbed out the fridge tastes rotten and smells like shit. The budding flowers outside? Yup, shit. I've barely eaten in two weeks because everything smells like shit and tastes rotten. I lie in bed and wonder if I've shit myself because my sheets reek of shit.

Fuck this fucking shit disease so hard.

test.jpg

So I've been out of comission the past few days. Laid up in bed feverish and feeling like shit. Luckily, it only lasted about 3 days this time, as opposed to the first time I got covid before the vaccine, where I was bedridden for an entire week struggling to breathe. This time I had no breathing problems and just had flu-like symptoms.

Yeah, something’s up. Lotta people (that I know) are suddenly all getting it. I assume it’s just the result of the overall population’s casual/defeatist attitude, with the majority just going, “What’s to be done?” and then running naked through the streets.

—Patrick

Yeah, something’s up. Lotta people (that I know) are suddenly all getting it. I assume it’s just the result of the overall population’s casual/defeatist attitude, with the majority just going, “What’s to be done?” and then running naked through the streets.

—Patrick
My aunt and uncle and their kids (my cousins) all have it. But they've got a retail establishment and also do a lot of gun shows, so I'm not surprised. Thankfully, even though they're Deep Red Oklahomans, they are also all up on the vax and boosters.

Dave

Staff member
I feel like crap and have had body aches and coughing. Tested negative. So I'm sick, just not Covid sick.

I have woken up a couple of times in the last couple of months thinking I was sure that I had it. Then, I get up, go to take my meds, and see that I forgot to take my 24-hour allergy meds the night before. Grass pollen here kicks my ass.

—Patrick
I mean, I live in Florida, where they've been holding weekly coughing contests and spitting into each others mouths since the pandemic started just to own the libs or something like that.

Ok, got my 2nd booster a few days ago prior to leaving for my trip. Up until now, I had believed that getting the vaccine after being infected would result in a stronger reaction to the vaccine, presumably because your body was all, "Oh no, not this again" and so ramped up the activity. But even though I got the booster barely more than 2wks after clearing my active infection, I did not notice any appreciable difference in my body's reaction to the vaccine.
Anecdotal, I know, but I was still expecting more. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

--Patrick

We’ll, it finally fucking got me. Had a low fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. Tested negative this morning, then positive 30 minutes ago.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I feel terrible that I’m probably going to get my family sick. And I was being super careful too! Always wore my mask, avoided large indoor events, etc. I honestly don’t know how I got it.

We’ll, it finally fucking got me. Had a low fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. Tested negative this morning, then positive 30 minutes ago.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I feel terrible that I’m probably going to get my family sick. And I was being super careful too! Always wore my mask, avoided large indoor events, etc. I honestly don’t know how I got it.
The new variant is a lot sneakier and easier to get.

My sister tested positive and apparently her whole household has it now. They're all vaccinated, including my niece, but it still sucks.

My parents went over to her place for Father's Day, which...yeah, I don't think that was a good idea and I told my mother as such. I decided not to go as a precaution.

So far, Mom hasn't said if her or Dad caught it, but I sadly expect they'll test positive. Hope they'll be okay.

I've been si fucking tired all the time since covid. All I want to do is sleep all day, every day. Days I don't work I'm in bed at 10 and I sleep till 1 pm. Could easily got till 5 or 6.

I'm pretty tired but cannot stay asleep. Keep waking up every hour coughing. I feel like it's been pretty mild so far I think. Like the flu, headache, little dizziness, warm but no fever so far though random warm flashes for sure, achy all over but especially my back and shoulders. Sore throat that causes a bit of a cough occasionally while awake, it's worse when I sleep.

The worst of it so far has been, not a pain but a dull heaviness at what feels like would be the bottom of my left lung, centered near to my spine that occurs when I'm doing kind of strenuous or repetitive thing. Last night, before I took the test and when I just assumed I was still stiff from sleeping on the plane on Thursday night, it happened when I was chopping tomatoes for salsa and then again today when we were putting the air conditioner in the window to help alleviate some of the heat and warm spells. It feels like a dull pressure right at that spot on my back.

Last edited: