Coronavirus Thread

Hooooooooooooooo don't like where this is heading.
See now my good man, the people of Ontaryairyairyo have a beautiful vision of the RCMP, they exist only in Ottawa and ride horses or solve crimes for free in Chicago. They have no idea, that they are in fact a police force. Lets watch them learn together!

See now my good man, the people of Ontaryairyairyo have a beautiful vision of the RCMP, they exist only in Ottawa and ride horses or solve crimes for free in Chicago. They have no idea, that they are in fact a police force. Lets watch them learn together!
As the resident Ontario-person...yeah. You're not far off. The RCMP are very romanticized here, at least where I've lived.

Free Dumb everyone! Come and get your Free Dumb! A whole lot of stupid, yours for the taking. All the Dumb you want and it's Free!

I assume that treating head injuries is more profitable than limb injuries, so this makes sense.

It also makes me rage, but from a profit perspective it's completely logical.

"The King County Board of Health has voted to repeal its decades-old mandatory helmet law for bicycle riders, saying data shows enforcement has been both minimal and disproportionate toward people of color and those experiencing homelessness.

... board member and King County Councilmember Joe McDermott said there are other ways of encouraging helmet use that do not rely on law enforcement, including educational campaigns and free helmet distribution.

The King County Council recently budgeted more than $200,000 to buy helmets and expand education programs."

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeeah I still haven't quite fallen from libertarian grace enough to be upset about a repeal of helmet laws.

I mean, bicycle headwounds aren't contagious, unlike COVID. Since it's personal safety and not public safety, then, I have a hard time agreeing it's government's place to "enforce" it.

Bike helmets are obligatory here up until... 12? Or 16? Years old, and on speed pedelecs (45kph electric bikes), since those resort under moped laws.
Both of those I think are sensible.
For adults, it isn't legally required, just advised with occasional awareness campaigns and such. New adults who grew up wearing helmets often still wear them when older, the older generation doesn't, and, eh, it's fine.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bike helmets are obligatory here up until... 12? Or 16? Years old, and on speed pedelecs (45kph electric bikes), since those resort under moped laws.
Both of those I think are sensible.
For adults, it isn't legally required, just advised with occasional awareness campaigns and such. New adults who grew up wearing helmets often still wear them when older, the older generation doesn't, and, eh, it's fine.
Even as libertarian as I am, I can understand how a nation with single payer health care might be able to justify helmet laws. If everybody else is expected to pay the bill for your head trauma, you might could make the argument that it is reasonable for them to demand you take minimally inconvenient precautions against it.

But we start to wonder where the threshold is. The same rationale could be used to legislate against ANY activity with a potential for bodily harm. No more skydiving or free climbing or parkour, etc. Or hey, motorcycles are just dangerous in general, might as well blanket-ban them. Tobacco smoke is pretty much guaranteed to give you cancer eventually, so it's not enough to banish it from public areas, tobacco needs to be banned entirely. In fact, while we're at it, alcoholic drinks....

I'm trying not to make a slippery slope fallacy here, but it's a legitimate puzzle as to where exactly the moment is where we decide it is justified to bring the threat of government force to bear on a person to make them act in their own interest/well-being. For me, that moment is the moment when it directly, adversely, and manifestly affects another person. "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins" and all that.

GasBandit

Staff member
And as we’ve learned over the last couple of years, hospital staff and beds are a limitless resource.
Much like in the case of COVID, I am also in favor of putting those who took precautionary measures ahead of those who did not in the queue for such things.

Even as libertarian as I am, I can understand how a nation with single payer health care might be able to justify helmet laws. If everybody else is expected to pay the bill for your head trauma, you might could make the argument that it is reasonable for them to demand you take minimally inconvenient precautions against it.

But we start to wonder where the threshold is. The same rationale could be used to legislate against ANY activity with a potential for bodily harm. No more skydiving or free climbing or parkour, etc. Or hey, motorcycles are just dangerous in general, might as well blanket-ban them. Tobacco smoke is pretty much guaranteed to give you cancer eventually, so it's not enough to banish it from public areas, tobacco needs to be banned entirely. In fact, while we're at it, alcoholic drinks....

I'm trying not to make a slippery slope fallacy here, but it's a legitimate puzzle as to where exactly the moment is where we decide it is justified to bring the threat of government force to bear on a person to make them act in their own interest/well-being. For me, that moment is the moment when it directly, adversely, and manifestly affects another person. "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins" and all that.
Boy do I have bad news about your attempt to not make a slippery slope fallacy.

Mask mandates lifted here in Nova Scotia. I think it's a mistake that'll cost us. Either way, I intend on continuing to wear my mask. I'm triple vaxxed but I have no intention of catching Covid if I can help it.

One thing I'm worried of happening is some asshole seeing me in public, saying "Hey, you don't need that anymore!" and reach for my mask.

Highly doubt it'll happen, but if it does? I could see myself reacting very badly. Like completely losing my temper on someone badly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Mask mandates lifted here in Nova Scotia. I think it's a mistake that'll cost us. Either way, I intend on continuing to wear my mask. I'm triple vaxxed but I have no intention of catching Covid if I can help it.

One thing I'm worried of happening is some asshole seeing me in public, saying "Hey, you don't need that anymore!" and reach for my mask.

Highly doubt it'll happen, but if it does? I could see myself reacting very badly. Like completely losing my temper on someone badly.
Shout as aggressively as you can "MY BODY MY CHOICE RIGHT? GUBMINT CAN'T TELL ME TO NOT WEAR A MASK"

We've had our mask mandates gone since the beginning of the month. I still wear mine in the grocery store. Whenever someone eyes me I stare back with the most intense stare I can. They usually immediately look away and scurry. No one's tried anything yet, but those types are itching. Being a big dude helps I guess.

Whenever someone gives me the stink eye for wearing a mask, I just cough and phlegm and rattle a bit. It's funny how few people still seem to mind me wearing a mask when they think I'm sick.

Some people still wear masks around here, although far less nowadays and we (being the Z family) always wear them in stores and such places. I have yet to be confronted or harassed about it.

Around here wearing a mask is more the exception than anything. I don’t care if you wear one or not. Make your own decision, but don’t try to force your decision (no matter which way your wind blows) on me.

Taiwan still has mask mandates, and I expect that when the requirement is eventually lifted, 70% of people will still wear a mask.

I personally like wearing a mask because I like to buy pretty masks and wear a different one every day. Here's today's mask.

20220322_085959.jpg