Coronavirus Thread

Dave

Staff member
I haven't said anything here yet, but for the past couple weeks I've had a persistent cough with chest tightness. I called my doctor and was told unless the symptoms worsen I should just self-quarantine and watch myself. No, I could not get tested. Don't be silly.

In summation, could I have Covid? There's a very good probably. Will I ever know? Probably not.

I'm getting the antibodies test done today. My gf was pretty sick a few months ago when it was kinda starting up and I certainly didn't distance from her. I figure it'll be informative and if I actually test positive I'll donate some plasma.

I haven't said anything here yet, but for the past couple weeks I've had a persistent cough with chest tightness. I called my doctor and was told unless the symptoms worsen I should just self-quarantine and watch myself. No, I could not get tested. Don't be silly.

In summation, could I have Covid? There's a very good probably. Will I ever know? Probably not.
Hey man, welcome to the club. I had the same thing, had to quarantine for awhile, and will probably never know if I had it, or if I get it again, or any information close to any of that.

I am getting very frustrated by the new favorite argument that "Covid isn't going to magically go away it will be here forever, so we just have to learn to live with it, not stay locked in our homes forever," or "Social Distancing and lockdowns we meant to slow the spread and we did that, now it's time to move forward."

We're locking down and social distancing to stop the spread until we can get vaccines out in the world, we don't expect everyone to sit home for years. Do you see a fucking vaccine yet? No? Then just stop.

I can give leeway to people who wear masks, and businesses who are actually trying to maintain best practices, but holy fucking shit there are a lot of dumb fucks who just don't give a shit.

My own sister is super angry and lashes out often about social distancing. I don’t get it as she and her husband are very fortunate and can work from home long term.

I can’t understand her rage.

We're locking down and social distancing to stop the spread until we can get vaccines out in the world, we don't expect everyone to sit home for years. Do you see a fucking vaccine yet? No? Then just stop.
I kinda wonder what if there is no vaccine? It doesn't seem like theres a 100% chance they make one.

could I have Covid? There's a very good probably. Will I ever know? Probably not.
I got sick for a few days in mid-Feb, lost my voice over it because when I told work, "I need to rest my voice," they were like, "Just don't push too hard" which worked about as well as you might imagine. I've had mild chest congestion that I just can't seem to lick ever since (and probably won't finally clear it until Summer comes since we have no sauna), but none of the others in my household have shown symptoms. I still wonder, though.

--Patrick

I was sick last month with a fever, brutal headache, sore throat and runny nose. I spoke with my doctor and was directed to a public health phone number and then from them to Covid testing which was thankfully negative.

I have another phone call with my doctor today and I need to discuss my sinus infection (or likely one).

With my immune system, I get ill often. I usually just work through it.

My own sister is super angry and lashes out often about social distancing. I don’t get it as she and her husband are very fortunate and can work from home long term.

I can’t understand her rage.
It's called "fear", and it also means they're finally experiencing just one tenth of what it's like for you with a compromised immune system. But, you know, they'll never make that connection or acknowledge it.

I kinda wonder what if there is no vaccine? It doesn't seem like theres a 100% chance they make one.
Covid-19 is a remarkably stable virus so far, with only 6 or 7 markers changing between regional variations; this in contrast to flu and cold. If a vaccine is found, it should be fairly effective in the long run. Unless something changes, of course.
So Europe will be vaccinated "too slow" because of bureaucracy, cities in mainland China will be vaccinated ASAP because drones will just stab everyone indiscriminately, and the USA will be vaccinated very slowly because it'll cost $3,000 per person unless you're on MedicarePlus (only available to congressmen and people with an annual income over $10million), in which case it's free.

It's called "fear", and it also means they're finally experiencing just one tenth of what it's like for you with a compromised immune system. But, you know, they'll never make that connection or acknowledge it.

Covid-19 is a remarkably stable virus so far, with only 6 or 7 markers changing between regional variations; this in contrast to flu and cold. If a vaccine is found, it should be fairly effective in the long run. Unless something changes, of course.
So Europe will be vaccinated "too slow" because of bureaucracy, cities in mainland China will be vaccinated ASAP because drones will just stab everyone indiscriminately, and the USA will be vaccinated very slowly because it'll cost $3,000 per person unless you're on MedicarePlus (only available to congressmen and people with an annual income over $10million), in which case it's free.
She has one of the same autoimmune diseases I have. The same presentation too, just having it start as an almost 40 year old rather than having it start like it did for me in my teens. She’s convinced that she has no increased risk and he tried to convince me of the same. I follow my doctor’s advice.

She is only on one immune suppression drug compared to my three full time ones and periodic fourth (and not on the ugly one I’m on that’s the biggest hit to the immune system) but she still needs to be careful.

So I might have been exposed.

Wife works as a PTA. One of her patients a month ago called that she tested positive for coronavirus while visiting family out of state. She quarantined, went to the doctor after she felt better, who said she was fine now. They released her to return home, so she did. She got tested here which has slightly different requirements, where you have to get two negative tests before you are cleared as negative. First test came back negative. My wife decided this was fine to return her to the treatment schedule and saw her twice since then. Patient went for final test, came back positive again. This patient is a pool patient so they don't wear masks. My wife is attempting to get tested today.

Worst case she brought it home and gave it to myself and the kids. Best case, she comes back negative. In the off-chance she is positive but myself and the kids are negative, I will be a single parent for a few weeks while my wife locks herself in the bedroom.

This has been such a great week. /s

Well, the stupid people I went to school with have flooded social media with their nonsense. Time to cull the morons from my feed.

I'm getting the antibodies test done today. My gf was pretty sick a few months ago when it was kinda starting up and I certainly didn't distance from her. I figure it'll be informative and if I actually test positive I'll donate some plasma.
Got it done. Wasn't too bad but the first nurse missed my vein which was annoying.

You know, often when someone called Trump a toddler, I would actually defend him a bit, because obviously he isn't that much of a baby, just an idiot.

Yet, one of the first things toddlers have to learn is the nature of object permanence. That the act of being unable to see something, does not mean it does not exist. Trump has not seemed to grasp this very crucial fact here, so maybe I owe all those people I argued with an apology. He literally is a toddler.

You know, often when someone called Trump a toddler, I would actually defend him a bit, because obviously he isn't that much of a baby, just an idiot.

Yet, one of the first things toddlers have to learn is the nature of object permanence. That the act of being unable to see something, does not mean it does not exist. Trump has not seemed to grasp this very crucial fact here, so maybe I owe all those people I argued with an apology. He literally is a toddler.
Trump is the answer to the question of what if a baby was racist.

It's only through a great deal of self control that the protesting scum in Michigan hasn't witnessed the true power of a fully armed and operational National Guard.

With a word, their "second amendment rights" would be reduced to so much pink mist.

It's only through a great deal of self control that the protesting scum in Michigan hasn't witnessed the true power of a fully armed and operational National Guard.

With a word, their "second amendment rights" would be reduced to so much pink mist.
And then they would be proven right, as the government becomes a tyrant.

I don't like them either, but that seems like a less than ideal situation.

Sooo... In case this is useful to you guys: I was sure I had already gone throug COVID, but they did a really large antibody study here in Spain and only about 15% of people that presented 4-5 symptoms of COVID in the last couple of months have actually had it. (Compared to 5% of the total population, 8% of people with 1-2 symptoms, etc).

The only symptom that is really telling is anosmia (loss of the sense of smell): 50% of people that have depeloped anosmia have COVID antibodies.

I'd like to have the antibody test done. Back in late January/early February I came down with what my doctor said she thought was the flu. I had been vaccinated, but I know that's no guarantee. I had a fever around 101, sore throat, body aches, chest tightness, lower GI problems, and a cough that lasted until the beginning of April. My doctor never tested me for the flu. She told me I was outside of the window for any treatment and the test was expensive (not that I would be paying for it, but I digress). I was out of work for over a week.
Both kids came down with some variant of it within the 2 week window. Neither were as sick as I had been. Lily was better after about 2 days. Noah took a bit longer because his fever was lingering. It really makes me wonder if I had it.

And then they would be proven right, as the government becomes a tyrant.

I don't like them either, but that seems like a less than ideal situation.
It's boggled my mind how much of this type of rhetoric (not yours, but DAs) I've seen online lately, especially from the those on the left. Not too long ago these very same people who were decrying the brutality against HK protesters are calling for similar or worse actions against people they'd consider "miscreants'". I've come to the conclusion that it's not the methods they object to, but simply who its directed against.

It's boggled my mind how much of this type of rhetoric (not yours, but DAs) I've seen online lately, especially from the those on the left. Not too long ago these very same people who were decrying the brutality against HK protesters are calling for similar or worse actions against people they'd consider "miscreants'". I've come to the conclusion that it's not the methods they object to, but simply who its directed against.
The government violently oppressing protesters is fine, as long as the protesters are clearly wrong.

/s, to be clear.

Protesters and an armed mob are not the same thing. Since you brought them up, how many of the Hong Kong protesters were openly brandishing assault weapons?

I'll wait.

GasBandit

Staff member
Protesters and an armed mob are not the same thing. Since you brought them up, how many of the Hong Kong protesters were openly brandishing assault weapons?

I'll wait.
How many had the right to bear arms protected by constitutional law?

No need to wait: The answer is none.

And that's probably a big contributor to how they're treated (and how many disappear).