Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member

Here's a link to the CDC report.

597 campers and staff had to provide documentation that they tested negative for COVID-19 before attending the camp. The first staffers arrived Jun 17, the kids on Jun 21. On the 23rd a teen on staff went home with chills, and tested positive the next day. They started sending kids home immediately, and the camp closed on the 27th. 260 staff and children became infected.

26% reported no symptoms.

Here's a link to the CDC report.

597 campers and staff had to provide documentation that they tested negative for COVID-19 before attending the camp. The first staffers arrived Jun 17, the kids on Jun 21. On the 23rd a teen on staff went home with chills, and tested positive the next day. They started sending kids home immediately, and the camp closed on the 27th. 260 staff and children became infected.

26% reported no symptoms.
...We're screwed.

I don’t understand why we can’t have one year of at home school while we wait for a vaccine to be finished and tested? Why are masks so evil? What am I missing?

I don’t understand why we can’t have one year of at home school while we wait for a vaccine to be finished and tested? Why are masks so evil? What am I missing?
You are missing your freedums. Thats what.

But seriously, I cant understand it either. Here in Germany you get yelled at by the bus driver via intercomms if you dont wear a mask and every store has a mandatory mask policy.
I saw stores that you can only enter using a cart and they limit the carts to a certain number, depending on the size of the store,so there cant be too many people in the store.

I guess?

Our province only has two active cases at the moment, but I still have concerns about asymptotic carriers and children having trouble with social distancing and following new enhanced safety rules. I also am concerned that teachers and school staff are being placed in a very risky situation especially if they have any underlying health issues.

In the US (and I assume other countries) the main purpose of school is daycare. Literally everything else that happens there is of secondary importance. The only reason parents are so upset about schools being remote for a year is because they need somewhere for their kids to be while they're working.

Masks are evil as a result of the US right wing spending the last few decades on an all-out war with science so when they're willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

You are correct that the main purpose is seeming more and more to be daycare. It shouldn’t be, but here we are.

I worry that the parents that are fighting the hardest are expecting teachers and school staff to work in a risk environment they would never.

I suspect that the day after MPS agrees to allow on-campus learning - even partially - COVID cases will shoot through the roof in the city of Mesa.

In MN they’re going to have a tiered approach of either in-person, partial in-person, or fully online based on the case count in the district. Every student has the option to go fully online though.
Seems reactionary, it shouldn’t matter what the case count is. If you’re trying to prevent a spike in cases, don’t have in person school at all.
We haven’t heard what each district will be yet, but I’m sure our district will start off with at least partial in person school.

We can't start in-person until after the 17th of this month, unless Ducey comes to his freakin' senses.

There is some hope, however, as we seem to have some intelligence at district HQ on Stapley and University.

1997 here. We had split sessions for school due to massive overcrowding, meaning I was home like... 3-4 hours before my parents some days.

I honestly just remember catching lots of Digimon on TV.

GasBandit

Staff member
1997 here. We had split sessions for school due to massive overcrowding, meaning I was home like... 3-4 hours before my parents some days.

I honestly just remember catching lots of Digimon on TV.
For me it was:
3pm: GI Joe
3:30pm: Transformers
4pm: The Real Ghostbusters
4:30pm: Garfield and Fr"HAVE YOU DONE YOUR HOMEWORK YET?!?! HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING TV ALL AFTERNOON WITHOUT DOING YOUR HOMEWORK?!"

If I got home earlier I might catch the last 10 minutes of "Let's Go Ghostbusters."

I was a latchkey kid from age 7 (1988).

View attachment 34834
My parents were ahead of the curve. I was a latchkey kid in the 70s. They had horse racing on tv those days, and you could buy betting slips at the grocery store. We watched a lot of horse racing for my mom lol

edit: You know, as soon as I wrote this, it sounded like complete bullshit. So I hadda go look it up to make sure I wasn't misremembering something from my youth.

I was a latchkey kid from age 7 (1988).

View attachment 34834
I thought this is why the Disney Afternoon was invented.
(A latchkey kid periodically in the 80's and definitely in the 90's. Ask me how many times I got to sit on our front stoop or back patio for 2-3 hours because they forgot to give me the key! It sucked really bad when in happened in the winter.)

The house I grew up in was one that still had a milk chute, so on the days I forgot my key, I would just worm my way in through that. When the house got sided, I could no longer do this, but I quickly figured out how to jimmy the front door, and then everything was fine again.

I would race home to record Tiny Toon Adventures, because I was trying to get a list of all the gag credits, but I wanted to be there to edit out the commercials.

—Patrick

I was an only child, and for the most part was just my mother, her boyfriend, and me, and both of them had to work. So, during the summer, they just left me home alone and I mostly just watched TV, played weird games, ate whatever leftovers I could find in the fridge, and went to my friend's house if they were home. Sometimes I would run around on the roof or pull my mattress to the bottom of the stairs and then jump off the second story balcony onto it.

I think this might be why I am a little more careful with my kids...
I would race home to record Tiny Toon Adventures, because I was trying to get a list of all the gag credits, but I wanted to be there to edit out the commercials.
One of my favorite memories of my youth was pulling out the sofa mattress in the living room, laying with my favorite sheets and a game gear, and watching the Tiny Toons movie about summer vacation. It was one of the most relaxing days of my life.

Tiny Toons How I Spent My Summer Vacation is hilarious and deserves more love. I still quote lines from it, including confusing my Dragon boat team when I broke into Babs' "Veal Parmigiana" song while paddling once. (They just assumed I was hungry. They were half right.)

Last edited:
For me it was:
3pm: GI Joe
3:30pm: Transformers
4pm: The Real Ghostbusters
4:30pm: Garfield and Fr"HAVE YOU DONE YOUR HOMEWORK YET?!?! HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING TV ALL AFTERNOON WITHOUT DOING YOUR HOMEWORK?!"

If I got home earlier I might catch the last 10 minutes of "Let's Go Ghostbusters."
Starblazers!! MF!

Tiny Toons How I Spent My Summer Vacation is hilarious and deserves more love. I still quote line from it, including confusing my Dragon boat team when I broke into Babs' "Veal Parmigiana" song while paddling once. (They just assumed I was hungry. They were half right.)
The bigamy joke went so over my head as a kid but is a fucking awesome pun now and I hate puns.

My ZIP code just topped over 2,000 cases today, roughly 17-20 more than yesterday.

My ZIP code is the most populated portion of the city of Mesa.