Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
See, that's from the reopening too soon, next week will see the community spread from the protests.
It's also from the shocking number of people who have stopped following guildelines. I was at the grocery store yesterday and more than half the people weren't wearing their masks. I imagine a lot have stopped washing their hands as often, too.

Honestly with all the protests, I almost forget about the global pandemic that is killing us. 2020 is great....
Tbh, this is the only reason I haven't gone to a protest. I feel like useless shit every night sitting here, but Mr. Z has worked so hard to keep Li'l Z protected from exposure, I'd feel like a bigger asshole bringing something home to them. We still haven't gone anywhere (well, Mr. Z has to go into the office 2x a week now, but he disinfects both there and here), nothing comes in the house without us using rubber gloves and washing it, we haven't been in physical contact with anyone that doesn't live here since March 11, and yet unlike so many black Americans, we have the privilege to do so.

I still wear my mask whenever I go to public locations like markets (plus wash hands extensively and have hand sanitizer in the car), but I will leave it off if all I am doing is traveling to my parents house in my car, since I don't plan to interact with anyone else. It's true though that people here are slacking bad right now. Before, I would go out and most people wore masks even on the streets, but now I go out and it feels like almost no one is. My only solace is that places like restaurants and markets have made wearing masks and gloves a requirement for employees and still have capacity requirements. I went to a restaurant recently to pick up some food where every other table or booth was closed and all the open ones were wiped down extensively after someone left, so some people are taking precautions.

I still fear things are going to get really bad, a lot of it because of the protests.

Just because I need some good news, a few ongoing studies are seeing that the corona virus might be "weakening". Of course all the studies are not fully reviewed yet so take it with a grain of salt, but the summery of the study is that the more dangerous mutation of the viral strain killed people off more quickly, thus was less likely to spread and naturally knocked itself out. The version that has been existing in asymptomatic and milder cases is thus the one spreading more, but is not nearly as strong or lethal.

Probably too good to be true, but I need some more hope these days.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's also from the shocking number of people who have stopped following guildelines. I was at the grocery store yesterday and more than half the people weren't wearing their masks. I imagine a lot have stopped washing their hands as often, too.
I went to Sam's yesterday, and I saw about 1/3rd of the people wearing masks properly... another 1/3rd wearing masks on their chin (seriously, not even covering their mouths - I wanted to smack them upside the head) or not covering their nose, and another third with no mask at all.

Yyyyeah I'll be keeping my mask on for quite a while more I think.

At Home Depot pretty much everyone HD their mask on and respected social distancing. Shoppers wasn’t quite as good, but I still felt safe. Walmart was a disaster.

That would imply that at some point in the past you actually liked him.
Not exactly.

Me personally? It's hard to make me "hate" someone. I will dislike someone but I try to give those I dislike at least a small amount of respect.

I hate Trump with every fiber of my being, and that hate just grows by the day.

That would imply that at some point in the past you actually liked him.
The world is not that black and white. There is disgust I've felt to this point, then there is unbridled rage and disgust I feel now. I've reached the final level of hate for him.

I would like for him to never hold any position of authority ever again, please.
President, CEO, or even a red paper hat at McDonalds... no sway over another human being, ever.

This includes marriage.

--Patrick

The take away from the article is that they shut down production for the day, cleared the factory and a select few were brought back to run machines while he toured, then those prop swabs got thrown out.

This includes marriage.
There is an ongoing rumor, so take it with a HUGE grain of salt, but word on the line is that Melania actually drafted divorce papers before the election. Trump and his team felt this would be disastrous for his election chances to have an ongoing divorce, so they offered her an alteration to the prenup she signed that would give her more of Trump's wealth should she stay married to him for the election and for as long as he is President. She took the offer, but felt he was just going to lose anyways. When he won, she cried.

If this is true, she is basically window dressing for him. She is paid to be there just to make sure the bad press of a divorce never happens, with promises that once it's over she will walk away with a fortune. When in this light no wonder she can't seem to stand being around him for more then two minutes. I have a feeling should he lose the election and he is out of office she is going to divorce him so hard it's going to crater some lawyers.

I also know Trump will try to weasel his way out of it. The dude never sticks to his deals.

There is an ongoing rumor
Oh, I've heard.

There's just too much evidence that she's only still in it for the position or, like you say, some kind of contract. They do not behave like a family.

If he survives past the end of his presidency, the rest of his life is going to be SUCH a downhill slide. He's used his position as President to steamroll so many people while in office, people who will step back and allow him to plummet because they are still smarting from that sting.

--Patrick

Oh, I've heard.

There's just too much evidence that she's only still in it for the position or, like you say, some kind of contract. They do not behave like a family.

If he survives past the end of his presidency, the rest of his life is going to be SUCH a downhill slide. He's used his position as President to steamroll so many people while in office, people who will step back and allow him to plummet because they are still smarting from that sting.

--Patrick
Trump is so selfish, you just know he'll inevitably throw as many of his supporters and enablers under the bus if it means saving his own ass. At which point, those people also won't have anything to lose and will unload everything they know. Once Trump is out, there will be more backstabbing among him and his people, we won't be able to keep up on all of it.

Trump is so selfish, you just know he'll inevitably throw as many of his supporters and enablers under the bus if it means saving his own ass. At which point, those people also won't have anything to lose and will unload everything they know. Once Trump is out, there will be more backstabbing among him and his people, we won't be able to keep up on all of it.
:popcorn:

May have to travel relatively soon. What's the best mask to use (that's still available?)
I got a Respilon R-Shield and I like it. Dunno if it's as good as it claims, but it's pretty comfortable for extended wear and washable up to 50 times. You can get them here, or from the manufacturer (but buying from the manufacturer basically doubles the cost with shipping). Downside is it's relatively expensive, and being shipped from the EU, so it might take a while.

I'd also consider something that takes air filter inserts like the ones from Vistaprint. They're not shipping until mid-June though.

Well, y'all, it looks like I might have the 'rona. Gotta go to the doctor's tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can finagle a test - last time I went to the hospital they didn't test me, that was a month ago.

So, back on the 14th of May, after a week of horrific misery from pain in the lower left quadrant of my left lung (which improved each time I coughed up some very runny phlegm), a persistent fever of around 100F, a persistent cough, and fatigue, we called an ambulance (and met our neighbor from across the street, she does the hard core care giving in the back of the ambulance) because the struggle to breathe was getting to be too much and I was developing frontal-center chest pains. None of the tests in the ambulance showed any signs of heart attack, and they stuck strictly to their covid19 protocol. Since they can't do the blood test for the enzyme on the rig, and I was still dizzy, and short of breath, they transported me to the local hospital - which is our county's antibody testing center.

Once we made it to the hospital, the protocol became much more lax. The charge nurse wore her PPE, including a duck-bill N95 mask and gloves. The main nurse wore gloves and a paper mask. The doctor was glove-less, and wore his mask with his nose exposed the entire time. The security guard in the hallway was raucously celebrating with the front desk staff, who weren't in any PPE, about how the next day, since our county was entering phase one of reopening, he would finally be able to "take off this goddamn commie mask." The hospital administration rep, who came in to have me sign my HIPAA agreement and insurance forms wasn't wearing any PPE, and handled the same paper and pen as me. At that time, all they did was take a chest x-ray (which I have yet to this day been able to get a copy of), tell me it didn't look like I had pneumonia, scold me for wasting their time, and send me home in a taxi. At that time, they refused to test me because I couldn't attest that I personally knew and had been in close contact with one of the 31 cases that had been reported. We're still only at 32, but that's because we just flat out are not testing in this county. The hospital with the rapidscan equipment will only use it for patients who are currently admitted to the ICU, in an effort to eliminate the need for them to be in the ICU for the full three day test return time on whichever test requires three days. Oh, and they couldn't give me the antibody test because I had symptoms of covid19. I reported them to the OHA the next day, but haven't heard anything back. I've since reported the incident to every paper and news station in the state that would listen, and haven't heard back from any of them either.

Now though? Whew. So, yesterday morning I woke up with a full-body rash, including my face and hands, that itched like hell and would not go away. Benadryl would make it subside for a while, and eventually a second shower and gentle scrub with argan oil soap made the mass redness go away and I was left with just hives. This morning it was mostly gone, but it has flared up again through the day, and the fever is coming back, and the fatigue, and the dizziness, and occasionally the shortness of breath, and the productive cough... <sigh> This really sucks.