Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
Just third shift thoughts:

Whatever gains we may have made against COVID-19 were wiped out because of one asshole Minneapolis cop.
Nah, it wasn't just one. It was him, the three cops he was with, every officer in the chain of command above him, the District Attorney, the mayor..... There were many people who had the power to change the story before it reached rioting.

Nah, it wasn't just one. It was him, the three cops he was with, every officer in the chain of command above him, the District Attorney, the mayor..... There were many people who had the power to change the story before it reached rioting.
We could instead blame the chain that put the counterfeit 20 in George Floyd's hand that day. But at it's simplest, it was that knee on that throat that set everything off.

We have 2 viruses destroying America. Ironically, both keep spreading because white people think it can't/won't effect them.

I got tested for COVID-19 today.

There's a reason.

I was apparently exposed to it via a co-worker who found out he had it - but we didn't find out until last week Wednesday. :facepalm:

So I'm off until next Monday for a 10 day isolation/quarantine, and I have to wait until sometime tomorrow or Wednesday for results.

It's not fun not knowing. My wife didn't get her test results for five days, so she had to lock herself away just in case and we had to just let that hang over us for that long. It was terrible.

If you are being tested, won't you be able to return if you are covid free?
It depends on the workplace. Some will require the full 14 days quarantine before work can continue, even with a negative, as a "precautionary". Some will allow someone back as long as they are negative. My wife was told to go back to work immediately once hers came back negative because their requirements were testing negative, four days with no symptoms, and extra precautions during work hours. At least here in Texas they seem to leave it up to the companies to decide how they protect themselves.

i went for a drive for some no-contact errands and took the long way to go around town, through some big roads, etc.

stuff seemed busier than a summer weekend. there was a local hooters that has seemed going out of business for 10-15 years that had 30 cars. the restaurants had Dine IN OPEN! signs, etc. and of course zero masks on the folks I saw outside

Yep. Routine visits to the grocery in the last few weeks have been fewer than 40% of people wearing masks - including children and their parents.

I went to a Walmart last week where the sign said that only one person per family should be there, to respect social distancing and to wear masks.

A woman with four kids hanging off her were everywhere and not a mask on one of them.

Yep. Routine visits to the grocery in the last few weeks have been fewer than 40% of people wearing masks - including children and their parents.
On our last grocery trip, Cranky (who is wearing a mask) passed by a mother and daughter (who are not wearing masks) and mumbled at them under his breath:
Cranky: <mumbling not as quietly as he thinks he is> "Well, there's two people who don't care."
Daughter: "Did you hear what he said?"
Mother: "He must be a Democrat, honey."
Ha! Joke's on them. Cranky is actually a foreign national and therefore can't vote.
Woah, why would more than one person go?
We usually buy two carts' worth at a time?

--Patrick

I really cant understand the hate against masks in america. Here in Germany as soon as one enters an enclosed space, masks go on. Does not matter if grocery, public transportation, barber or doctors office. We just wear masks because it is so easy to do and does not harm anyone.

I really cant understand the hate against masks in america. Here in Germany as soon as one enters an enclosed space, masks go on. Does not matter if grocery, public transportation, barber or doctors office. We just wear masks because it is so easy to do and does not harm anyone.
Two words: American egocentrism. America has the reputation as the quintessential place for the "Fuck you, got mine" attitude.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but hurting other people for personal gain is something 'Merica does best!

It is sad to see a country I wished I could live in turn into a country morally not better than many 3rd world dictatorships (and I know my Dictators, having had Marcos and now Duerte,thank god I live in Europe now).
This is not a diss on the people, most americans I met were lovely, as were Syrians, Turks, Russians and Azerbaijani but the political climate is just so poisonous.

I do hope this protest will see a fundamental change in the US, but i doubt it.

I'd like to just interject that the US is a very, very large country. I don't want to play the "not all" card, but it is true that your average everyday person in the USA isn't a thundering redneck MAGA lover.

I'd like to just interject that the US is a very, very large country. I don't want to play the "not all" card, but it is true that your average everyday person in the USA isn't a thundering redneck MAGA lover.
Hence why I said it's America's reputation and how the rest of the world views it. There are many good people that live in the U.S. Many of whom are right here on this forum. But good lord, there are so many people within America that have that "fuck you, got mine" attitude. I encountered some myself when I briefly lived in the states a few years ago. That's not to say I've encountered people like that in Canada, either. My brother-in-law is like that. It's more a general cultural thing in the US, though.

It is sad to see a country I wished I could live in turn into a country morally not better than many 3rd world dictatorships (and I know my Dictators, having had Marcos and now Duerte,thank god I live in Europe now).
This is not a diss on the people, most americans I met were lovely, as were Syrians, Turks, Russians and Azerbaijani but the political climate is just so poisonous.

I do hope this protest will see a fundamental change in the US, but i doubt it.
At this point I remain in the country because there's many people I really like here, and a bunch of inertia (e.g. only about 3 years before I'm SS-eligible for life). If I had a one-way button that moved all my possessions back home, and I could retain the ability to visit (via e.g. flights and a guaranteed 90-day/year visitor status), I'd press it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Because I need to post about something positive today:
FPCK be a hero wear your mask.jpg

This is a photo from the church I grew up in, and still kinda think of as my home church. They're getting ready to re-open the building for church worship services, and to me it sounds like they're doing it right. 50 people each service, who have to sign up in advance, and I don't think there's going to be singing. There will be temperature screenings, and the building will be cleaned in between services, with most of the building still closed.

With all the stupidity in the world, I thought it might be good to point out a suburban, conservative, mostly-white church that is being smart and following medical guidelines on how to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Way to go, Arizona! Four days into the week and we've already surpassed last week's total cases by nearly a THOUSAND!

May 27-30 new cases: 420, 420, 421, 421
May 31-June 3 new cases: 928, 928, 929, 973

/s

figmentPez

Staff member