Coronavirus Thread

What? Did you actually just write that? You really, REALLY need to reconsider what you just said. :facepalm:
I'm writing from their point of view. Yes, obviously, they're and have been the oppressors in the past and even now. I know that. But the vast majority of racist homophobic trumpist assholes most definitely doesn't cosnider themselves the oppresive majority, but the oppressed minority, with a Yankee liberal anti-American group hell-bent on destroying their traditional values trying keeping them under their thumb.
We're getting way off-topic for the Corona-virus-thread, but cosnider that the traditions of, say, the Masaï are at least as patriarchal, backwards, racist (against e.g. the Zulus), etc but their way of life and traditions are considered worth being protected, including all those negative traits. The way of life of redneck hillbillies isn't, because....well, if you ask them - because they're white.

Also as a reminder, social distancing and mask-wearing is actually popular even among republicans. The protests are an incredibly vocal minority.

GasBandit

Staff member
"If you're protesting during normal working hours on a weekday, you're probably a complete twat, no matter what your message or political alignment is." - Gas Bandit, circa 2004

"If you're protesting during normal working hours on a weekday, you're probably a complete twat, no matter what your message or political alignment is." - Gas Bandit, circa 2004
So basically all union workers who strike for better working conditions are twats?

Oh nm you're a libertarian.

Dave

Staff member
We only have one bathroom. So I could TRY and self quarantine that way but for me it would be impossible.

It is actually a big deal to serve a 14 day isolation period on my return in a separate room using a separate bathroom and not being able to leave.

It’s easy for someone to say it’s no big deal when they won’t be the isolated one.
I don't even know how they could justify making you travel with your health issues. You should probably make the case that your health issues make you immuno compromised and you can't travel.

It’s on my medic alert bracelet that I’m immune-compromised. I’m on three and sometimes four immune suppression meds. I’m pretty open with my coworkers and my new boss. She’s been very understanding about my health issues so far. I’m chalking this up to her not understanding the severity of my immune issues.

I don’t think it’s fair to ask any of us to travel for the next few months until things have calmed down. Not everyone is being asked either which I don’t feel is fair.

GasBandit

Staff member
"If you ARE... circa 2004"
No, you can't refute with an example 40 years out of context. Not yours.

But hey, way to discourage someone trying to be critical of trumpers. Guess next time I've got a supportive comment, I'll just remind myself that you've all gone screaming off the deep end and sip my titos when your insistence on striking off your nose to spite your face helps usher in the inevitable second Trump administration, and maybe get a little bit of the schadenfreude that everybody equally sick of this behavior will be feeling despite us not being happy with the election results either.

No, you can't refute with an example 40 years out of context. Not yours.
Another way to frame this would be that 40 years has brought but negligible progress.
I mean, if you want to get a message out, you proclaim that message as widely and to as many people as possible, and that means prime time. Yes I get that the "Liberate Michigan!" protestors also decided to gridlock a city and make things inconvenient for everyone.

As a side note, if there's a protest going on that is making things inconvenient for people in the area, my chances of weighing the value(s) of whatever they are protesting is directly proportional to the amount of consideration granted to passers-by, emergency vehicles, etc. Just sayin'.

--Patrick

Last edited:
But hey, way to discourage someone trying to be critical of trumpers. Guess next time I've got a supportive comment, I'll just remind myself that you've all gone screaming off the deep end and sip my titos when your insistence on striking off your nose to spite your face helps usher in the inevitable second Trump administration, and maybe get a little bit of the schadenfreude that everybody equally sick of this behavior will be feeling despite us not being happy with the election results either.
So next time you complain about long lines in the store I can say "I agree. And so many people own guns. Thats why gun owners should be killed" and you would consider that to be commiserating?

I have a feeling he got a visit from the Fox News lawyers.

Believe it or not but I don't think Fox News itself has a far reaching "political agenda". I believe Fox News, like pretty much any entertainment channel, plays to it's viewers and their whims, wants, desires, and prejudices. It's always been about the ratings, and saying stuff that might be "off brand" or counter to the prejudices of your audience can lead to a lot of dropped numbers. Over time this feedback loop turns into the shitshow we have now as each influences each other to lean further and further to the right.

COVID has added an extra layer because now, giving out misinformation can literally KILL PEOPLE. They don't want someone to start a class action lawsuit because Hannity told them it's all going to be fine right before half his family dies.

figmentPez

Staff member

"One COVID-positive stylist continued going to work despite experiencing symptoms of the virus for eight days, exposing 84 clients and seven colleagues, the Springfield-Greene County Health Department announced Friday. "