Coronavirus Thread

I got "the" letter today.

The "Your Economic Impact Payment Has Arrived" letter - from You Know Who.

His signature... it looks like a bunch of up and down strokes with a Sharpie.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I was supposed to go on site Tuesday at the 85th district court to commission their new AV system.... buuuut now I won't be, because our contact there turns out has been exposed and now will be in quarantine for 2 weeks and who knows if that means our installers which have been on site all week have also been exposed...

It looked like we'd be going back in to the office pretty soon but this week they announced it won't be until at least July. Wasn't looking forward to having to brave the trains everyday.

Here in MI we also got another three weeks' detention for bad behavior.
I expect folks will storm Lansing again to voice their displeasure, and the cycle will begin anew.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
I got "the" letter today.

The "Your Economic Impact Payment Has Arrived" letter - from You Know Who.

His signature... it looks like a bunch of up and down strokes with a Sharpie.
It looks like a failed polygraph test is what it looks like.

I had posted elsewhere (probably not here, it's starting to get foggy as to exact numbers) about "targets" in regards to COVID cases in Arizona.

My argument was, essentially, to look back at three weeks of data, then look forward and project what numbers would be better or worse.

Since I looked at the numbers on May 7th, this is what they showed:
  • From April 16 through May 6, we had 5,745 new cases, and 284 new confirmed deaths in the state (per Bing's COVID-19 tracker).
  • Since May 6, we have had 5,608 new confirmed cases - which is lower, and you'd have to think that's a good thing.
Only a couple of problems:
  • We also had 337 new confirmed deaths in that time.
  • The data since May 6th is only for 16 days. We still have five more days until we've reached the same 21 day stretch. Arizona would need to average under 27 new cases per day for the next five days to stay under 5,745 new cases over 3 weeks.
  • There hasn't been a five-day stretch of fewer than 27 cases since March 22, which was (ironically) the date of the first recorded death by COVID-19 in the state.
The trend line isn't "bending" or "flattening". It's still rising.

figmentPez

Staff member

He's also lying about taking heat for closing the country when he did. He was late to the party in closing down travel from China.

I don't know why more people aren't taking the opportunity to say, "And President Trump celebrated the crossing of the 100k coronavirus deaths milestone with a round of golf."

--Patrick

Last edited:
I mean, there's not much reason to do so beyond adding it to the record. This isn't going to affect anyone's opinion on him; his base doesn't care and I doubt his opponents are surprised.

1933: Brownshirts

2020: Redhats

More "reopen" protests targeting a Democrat governor. In Kentucky this time.

How do these DeVos-funded astroturf events correlate to the HK protests again? Still waiting for that answer.

One group is getting gassed, tortured, and killed with government sanction.

The others aren't.

Last edited:
Why are you wearing a mask? Were you burned by acid or something like that

They're extremely comfortable. I expect everyone will be wearing them in the future.

1933: Brownshirts

2020: Redhats

More "reopen" protests targeting a Democrat governor. In Kentucky this time.

How do these DeVos-funded astroturf events correlate to the HK protests again? Still waiting for that answer.
The answer is easy. If you had the power to do so, you'd enact the same measures. Your post history on the subject makes that obvious. You've called for government-sanctioned execution of people like these before, and you have, on several occasions, talked about "lining them up against the wall", and so forth. You would be correct that in its current state they do not compare, my comparison is merely a statement that appears that if you were given the chance, you would enact the same type of measures that are currently being enacted against the HK protesters, and I suspect you would find many reasons that would morally justify these actions, much in the same way the Beijing government views the HK protests as foreign-funded, separatist, and disrupting of the harmony of the nation.

Trump is whining that North Carolina won't let him pack the RNC full and that he'll move it to another state if he can't pack people in.

On one hand, WHY DO WE HAVE TO HAVE THE IDIOTS IN CHARGE?!?! THIS IS WHY PEOPLE AREN'T TAKING SHIT SERIOUSLY.

On the other hand, they should move the RNC to a state that has no problem with packing people in. But they should also make people who attend sign those joke waivers that say they waive medical care. :p

Trump is whining that North Carolina won't let him pack the RNC full and that he'll move it to another state if he can't pack people in.

On one hand, WHY DO WE HAVE TO HAVE THE IDIOTS IN CHARGE?!?! THIS IS WHY PEOPLE AREN'T TAKING SHIT SERIOUSLY.

On the other hand, they should move the RNC to a state that has no problem with packing people in. But they should also make people who attend sign those joke waivers that say they waive medical care. :p
Joke... legally binding. Hell, I'm fine with either. I'm so done trying to protect people who won't protect themselves.

Joke... legally binding. Hell, I'm fine with either. I'm so done trying to protect people who won't protect themselves.
I'm more curious to see who would sign it, than it being legally binding. I would prefer people didn't die, even if they are dumb as rocks.

I'm more curious to see who would sign it, than it being legally binding. I would prefer people didn't die, even if they are dumb as rocks.
We'd all prefer it, but it's a matter of energy being applied to where it can be the most good. if someone sticks their head in a crocodile's mouth, are they really worth saving? I'd much rather not divert limited resources from those who are doing their damnedest to protect themselves.

Selfish, willful ignorance is not a trait we should be protecting.

We'd all prefer it, but it's a matter of energy being applied to where it can be the most good. if someone sticks their head in a crocodile's mouth, are they really worth saving? I'd much rather not divert limited resources from those who are doing their damnedest to protect themselves.

Selfish, willful ignorance is not a trait we should be protecting.
Hey now, that's un-American thinking right there.

The answer is easy. If you had the power to do so, you'd enact the same measures. Your post history on the subject makes that obvious. You've called for government-sanctioned execution of people like these before, and you have, on several occasions, talked about "lining them up against the wall", and so forth. You would be correct that in its current state they do not compare, my comparison is merely a statement that appears that if you were given the chance, you would enact the same type of measures that are currently being enacted against the HK protesters, and I suspect you would find many reasons that would morally justify these actions, much in the same way the Beijing government views the HK protests as foreign-funded, separatist, and disrupting of the harmony of the nation.

Where to begin...

I'll start with getting haircut, getting your nails done, or going to the beach are not basic human rights. Even if they were the slightest bit legitimate, which they're not, this is just the tantrum of impatient, entitled little children.

The evidence shows at its heart, these "protests" are sponsored and funded by cronies of the ruling party in order to cow the opposition into submission, with the help of it's own propaganda wing. DeVos' name features prominently as a sponsor. I don't believe for a second that what's happening in HK is at the behest of the CCP.

The latest group in NC has publicly threatened bloodshed if the state doesn't reopen. Would I authorize the use of deadly force against a bunch of AR-15 toting, MAGA hat wearing, nazi flag-waving imbeciles trying to storm the state house?

Because these aren't foreign funded or legitimate protests. This the ruling party attacking the legally elected opposition, and they have every right to defend themselves accordingly.

Where to begin...

I'll start with getting haircut, getting your nails done, or going to the beach are not basic human rights. Even if they were the slightest bit legitimate, which they're not, this is just the tantrum of impatient, entitled little children.

The evidence shows at its heart, these "protests" are sponsored and funded by cronies of the ruling party in order to cow the opposition into submission, with the help of it's own propaganda wing. DeVos' name features prominently as a sponsor. I don't believe for a second that what's happening in HK is at the behest of the CCP.

The latest group in NC has publicly threatened bloodshed if the state doesn't reopen. Would I authorize the use of deadly force against a bunch of AR-15 toting, MAGA hat wearing, nazi flag-waving imbeciles trying to storm the state house?

Because these aren't foreign funded or legitimate protests. This the ruling party attacking the legally elected opposition, and they have every right to defend themselves accordingly.
To be clear, I agree with you that these protestors are a bunch of whining, entitled idiots deceived by power hungry evil bastards.
Having said that...
-> They're not protesting to be allowed t ogo to the hairdresser. That's just a relatable way of stating things. They're opposing a government who is infringing on their basic rights to go outside. If the Chinese government implemented a full stay-at-home order, curfews, mandatory closings of all small businesses, with a flimsy excuse of 5 people having a cough, you wouldn't disagree with people protesting that - it's gross overreach and abuse of power, a choke hold on regular people and forcing thousands into poverty and hunger.
-> Who is, or isn't, in power is mostly a matter of time. Would these protests be any more legitimate if the Democrats controlled the Senate and White House? Of course not. Saying they're just being funded by De Vos and consorts is true, but by who else? Soros and other magnates have been supporting and funding "democratic" uprisings and opposition for decades.
-> Using (lethal) force against an entrenched government apparatus that's suppressing the population is literally baked into your Constitution. It's their dog-given right and you'll pry those guns from their cold dead hands, it's the last and only line of defense against a bureaucracy turning into an oligarchy à la the single-state Chinese government.

These people are obviously misguided, and this is a GREAT show of how powerful and damaging propaganda really is - these people genuinely believe they're being threatened and attacked, that their freedoms are under assault (and they're not necessarily entirely wrong - Covid is, like 9/11 before it, a great reason for the state to invade privacy and hollow out freedoms once again). They don't trust real media anymore because they're controlled by the Deep State/Leftist billionaires/what-have-you (can you blame them? Pravda and the Bejing Times are great newspapers and everyone should just believe what they're writing!), and instead place their trust more in smaller operations flying below the radar, like Huffington Post and Vox, Breitbart and Bitchute.

-> They're not protesting to be allowed t ogo to the hairdresser. That's just a relatable way of stating things. They're opposing a government who is infringing on their basic rights to go outside. If the Chinese government implemented a full stay-at-home order, curfews, mandatory closings of all small businesses, with a flimsy excuse of 5 people having a cough, you wouldn't disagree with people protesting that - it's gross overreach and abuse of power, a choke hold on regular people and forcing thousands into poverty and hunger.
We're not at 5 people having a cough. We're at 100,000 DEAD and rising. And that number is going to grow exponentially because of the "don't trust the gub'mint and those know-it-all sciencey types!" And not only are those idiots going to be in the next wave, but so are the ones dragged back to work too soon because they have no choice if they want to feed their families.

There is no Constitutional right to be a terminal dumbass. Keeping the citizenry safe from their own stupidity is right up there under Promoting the General Welfare.

Who is, or isn't, in power is mostly a matter of time. Would these protests be any more legitimate if the Democrats controlled the Senate and White House? Of course not. Saying they're just being funded by De Vos and consorts is true, but by who else? Soros and other magnates have been supporting and funding "democratic" uprisings and opposition for decades
Riddle me this. Have any of the Soros-funded demonstrations involved prominent display of firearms, confederate flags, and nazi slogans? These are not "protests," these are shows of force intended to keeping those in power in power by any means necessary.

I assure you I can keep up playing Devil's Advocate all day long. To re-iterate, I agree with you they're idiots.

Again, propaganda. You and I believe 100K dead is a terrible and unnecessary toll your country is paying for late, inadequate and incompetent reaction. The media they believe and trust is telling them this is a false narrative, and it's hardly worse than the flu - and it's only bad in big cities, so why close rural American heartland other than to hurt them, the real Americans?

The nazi rhetoric, yeah, not gonna touch that one. As far as the confederate flags go, though - they're a symbol of a suppressed minority region forcibly enslaved by another part of the country with other traditions and values (which happen to be appalling and horrible, but again, personal opinion) - much like the Nepalese flag, or the HK Democratic flag. Your associations with those flags are very different from theirs.