Coronavirus Thread

People are starting to hold Gov. Abbot to the fire. Things are getting so bad a skip away in Houston that they are opening up the Texas Children's Hospital to adults to free up room. Gov. Abbot still says he only wants to shut down again as a "last resort" but also seems unwilling to enact safety measures, you know, because of the whole masks hurt freedoms crap.

He pretty much now just blames everyone else for not following the minimum safety standards, you know, the ones he refuses to actually enforce and just hopes everyone carries out on the honor system, all the while his own party supporters keep saying social distancing and mask wearing is anti-american. I really don't know what he expected to happen.

Dave

Staff member
Abbott shit canned the whole thing when he refused to prosecute the (millionaire) salon owner for violating his stay at home order.
The owner, by the way, who STAGED the stay at home order violation and had the GoFundMe up BEFORE she did it. Nothing like a dog & pony show to rook idiot conservatives out of their money.

View attachment 34367

The comparison graph is really telling, I think. For all the complaining I see here in Belgium about people not properly following routine and rules, you can really see the same sort of dip-rise-dip move in the beginning... And then just all of the USA pretty much deciding "fuck the elderly, we want to go to Starbucks and McDonald's".
EU may bar American travelers as it reopens borders, citing U.S. failures on virus

Oh, the irony.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Washington state has issued a mandatory mask order starting this Friday. Vacation's gonna be fun.

Washington state has issued a mandatory mask order starting this Friday. Vacation's gonna be fun.
Oh good, Washington did something? Maybe now Oregon will do something. I swear to god our governor is the most useless, least confident leader in the US when it comes to Democratic governors. Last year we voted to end Daylight Savings Time. She refuses to put it into affect unless California and Washington adopt similar measures. She comes off as being so timid and useless - like she's so unwilling to stick her neck out that she'd let her house burn to the ground around her without calling the fire department, just in case other governors would've waited longer.

When Covid19 was starting to take hold, she dragged her feet on declaring this a public health emergency, despite being begged by numerous in-state medical experts to do so, because Newsom hadn't declared the same thing for California yet. When Washington shut down public schools, she waited until other governors had done the same before she shut ours down. Other states started using tests provided by people other than CDC? Have to wait until at least three other states try it out before we make a move. Closing non-essential businesses? Better wait and see what more of the country does first.

Taken directly from my daily update from azcentral.com (aka the Arizona Republic):

While increased testing over the past month has contributed to an increase in numbers, it is only one factor contributing to a higher case count. The percentage of those tests coming back positive has spiked sharply since mid-May, indicating a significant increase in community spread.

On May 10, 5% of PCR tests (given to those who are sick and separate from the antibody tests) were positive. On June 21, 22% of the tests were positive.

We've had a mandatory order for awhile now and it's really not so bad. You also should be wearing one regardless so it really shouldn't effect you.

Last year we voted to end Daylight Savings Time. She refuses to put it into affect unless California and Washington adopt similar measures.
That's really not the whole story. Any state that wants to repeal DST has to get approval from congress to do so. And if WA and CA are on board (which I think they are now?) then it is more likely they can get that approval. Florida voted to get rid of DST as well but they have not been able to do so yet. So I think your slamming of Gov. Brown over this specifically is unfair.

Old Navy has them here for $15 for a pack of five in Canadian dollars.

Which is $11 USD.

Using that same conversion tool that means the 64 GB micro SD card I bought today was $18.44.

Trump Administration ending funding for coronavirus testing sites.
That’s everyone’s answer to everything now, isn’t it? Cutting funding, that is. I’ve seen SO many articles over the last few weeks with titles like “So-n-so warns that he will withhold aid payments/funding/raises/whatever unless blah blah...” It’s become the grown-up equivalent of “Do what I tell you or else I’m cutting off your allowance!”

—Patrick

That’s everyone’s answer to everything now, isn’t it? Cutting funding, that is. I’ve seen SO many articles over the last few weeks with titles like “So-n-so warns that he will withhold aid payments/funding/raises/whatever unless blah blah...” It’s become the grown-up equivalent of “Do what I tell you or else I’m cutting off your allowance!”

—Patrick
Just wait 'till Democrats get a chance to do it. Imagine the federal government saying they'll withhold funding to a state until they enact police reform, healthcare reform, or weapon law reform. The second amendment folks'll be out in force and half the media will be crying overreach.

If there is a vaccine and it's available to anyone I legit do not care who dies because they refuse to take it. In fact, I welcome it.

Well at least they fixed some of the errors.
-Should be "exemption" not "exempt."
-"Poses" is spelled incorrectly.
-"Disabilities" is spelled incorrectly (in ADA).
-The ADA does not mandate that disabilities must be kept secret, because doing so would make it impossible for an employer to determine and provide reasonable accommodation(s) for any disabled employee.
-Missing comma after "ADA"
-Would not use "your" (should be "a" or "their").
-A business can deny access to anything of theirs that they damn well please, assuming they're a private business.
-There actually is an FTBA..in Florida.
-The cropping and lamination look like they were done during a log-rolling competition by someone who was fired twice from Kinko's for drinking on the job.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I would never presume to speak for everyone experiencing health issues, but given that Covid-19 is much more likely to cause more serious illness in those with underlying conditions and many underlying conditions are treated with immune suppression (biologics) these days and many people are on steroids which both suppress the immune system leaving one at much higher risk of contracting it, you should want to wear a mask and be encouraging others to.

dang..I saw a "face mask exemption reversal card" last night that was funny as hell. It said something like "the bearer of this card is exempt from your face mask exemption card" and the poster suggested showing it to people who show you their fake mask exemption card.

I thought I'd saved it, but I can't find it this morning! :(

As the entire cheeto train gets quarantined this week a bold new slogan emerges on twitter.

"Masks, are not what your country will do for you; masks, are what you should do for your country."

Hawaii is going to start letting visitors in again without the 14-day quarantine as long as they have a negative COVID test before traveling.

My mom and my southern Alberta dipshit idiot family are all still planning to go to Hawaii in December. No amount of me pleading will stop them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Word on the grapevine is that a second shelter-in-place order may be coming down for my community, and possibly others in Texas as well. Governor Abbott might be abdicating responsibility for making such calls to the local governments, and I'm hearing noise about mandatory mask ordinances and aforementioned second round of shelter-in-place. Will be "interesting" to see how that goes, but with no promise of a second round of federal money to people who can't work...