Coronavirus Thread

Something interesting: I'd done the graphing by week of new COVID cases by day, and I'd gotten tired of seeing the trendline for new cases shooting up like something SpaceX was sending into orbit. So, I split up the new deaths from COVID into a new graph, using a three-degree polynomial trendline (basically, running the predictive formula through the last three data points to predict where the trend is going).

1592610976751.png

Deaths, though they've gone up this week, apparently peaked back on the 30th of May.

I had a cold this week. It's really, genuinely just a cold. However, now that I'm in the last stages of the cold, I've developed a lingering cough.

The amount of alarmed looks I've caused over the last couple of days at work and on the MRT has been very amusing.

Since I live north of the iHop IHOP/Waffle House line, I did not know about this apparent Waffle House hurricane barometer thing.

--Patrick

You know what's really not funny?

That is the number of new cases of COVID-19 in the state of Arizona... yesterday.

A co-worker's daughter just tested positive for Corona. So she's headed home now. I can't believe that we have to work from the office when practically all our work can be done from home. I literally manage servers 100 and 300 miles away.

I came across a post about the sharp rise in cases in Texas and how we need to all wear masks to mitigate the spread more, and fucking hell was that a painful thread.

"Wearing masks is government overreach! They take away our rights!" (Do you scream this loud when the cop fines you for not wearing a seatbelt?)
"Masks don't even work. Everyone even says they don't work!" (They are not a 100% stop-gap but that does not mean the spread isn't reduced, it's reduced even more if EVERYONE wears one.)
"We all need to be infected anyways so that the strong may live." (Better hope you don't fall under the percent that it will fucking kill then, you asshole)

I even saw an image of women wearing masks where each one gets bigger in the line then the last one transforms into a woman wearing a hijab with a mask saying "Start wearing a mask, this is your future.", because people are so fucking racist.

I swear to god I hate some of the people around here.

On the bright side some places are still trying to take it seriously. I went to the eye doctor today and they only let you in if you wear a mask, and take extra precautions like disinfecting pens and such. Of course then I left, drove down the street and saw a McDonalds filled to the brim with people crammed up next to each other, not a single mask in sight, so yeah. We might be screwed here.

12 days no new cases, down to only a single case left in NS.

So everbody stay away! We ain't starting this shit again.

You're lucky you don't have the infected hordes from south of the border 'traveling' to Alaska (Banff).

Alberta and BC are basically permafucked because of that loophole and Alberta was already permafucked because Kenney is gunning to be the worst premier in every conceivable way in the history of the province.

"Wearing masks is government overreach! They take away our rights!" (Do you scream this loud when the cop fines you for not wearing a seatbelt?)
I can tell you right now, that when seat belts started being mandated by law and Click it or Ticket campaigns started, people cried about it A LOT.

People around here still bitch about the government making them wear seatbelts and how much more dangerous they make crashes, because you'll never be able to get them off and get out of a vehicle in time, especially with all of the rivers around here.

Oh good, our premier is trying to convince the whole NHL to come here for the playoffs. To Edmonton because Edmonton didn't vote for him so fuck us I guess. Just what we need is hundreds of Americans/literally anyone from out of country, converging here.

I can tell you right now, that when seat belts started being mandated by law and Click it or Ticket campaigns started, people cried about it A LOT.
You should hear my dad cry about motorcycle helmet laws being unfair/unjust/something something freedom. And he's been to these accidents where people weren't wearing helmets so he knows what can happen firsthand.

Screenshot_20200623_003341_com.android.chrome.jpg

The comparison graph is really telling, I think. For all the complaining I see here in Belgium about people not properly following routine and rules, you can really see the same sort of dip-rise-dip move in the beginning... And then just all of the USA pretty much deciding "fuck the elderly, we want to go to Starbucks and McDonald's".

View attachment 34367

The comparison graph is really telling, I think. For all the complaining I see here in Belgium about people not properly following routine and rules, you can really see the same sort of dip-rise-dip move in the beginning... And then just all of the USA pretty much deciding "fuck the elderly, we want to go to Starbucks and McDonald's".
Bad example, I'm pretty sure both were considered "essential" from the beginning. (But only allowed drive thru or curbside)

I sometimes hear about people complaining that mask requirements are unconstitutional, and I can't help but wonder which part of the constitution it violates.

Being a gig-worker during this crisis was just utterly revealing to me, primarily because I'd see McDonalds customers so AUDIBLY complainitory for their food....GEE-I wander if there's some sort of MOTHER FUCKING APOCALYPSE causing your food order to be delayed!

My parents staying in quarantine with the virus were less bitchey than these fucks.

This is also me venting my horror about them having it, as well as my admittance that I was in clear denial that they had it the entire time because I fear death more than anything, both mine and the people I love and nothing will ever take away that fear, its just who I am at least for now.

BUT OF COURSE-my shit head neighbor...is having POOL parties, because why should a CRISIS stop his shitty fucking pool parties where he plays the same fucking music non-STOP.

I sometimes hear about people complaining that mask requirements are unconstitutional, and I can't help but wonder which part of the constitution it violates.
Meanwhile they totally support the government stopping freedom to assemble peacefully...

"Muh Freedom."

Literally, that's what they're saying. They believe that the mask requirement infringes on some sort of personal freedom enshrined in the Constitution, probably the 1st Amendment's guarantee of "Freedom of Expression." However. this is patently untrue. Time and time again, it has been ruled that FoE does NOT grant license for a person to do what they want, when they want, and without reprisal. The most common example of this NOT applying would be yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater 4 teh lulz. Something like this is NOT considered "protected speech." What these people are advocating is not "Constitutionally guaranteed Freedom." It's not even Liberalism, but instead something more like Individualist Anarchism or maybe Autarchism.

But if you want to know just to what lengths these people are willing to go in order to not have to wear their accursed masks:

hippabirdie2u.jpg

Okay so first of all it's "HIPAA," not "HIPPA."
Second of all, neither HIPPA HIPAA nor the ADA are enshrined in the Constitution.
Thirdly, the correct ADA phone number is 800-514-0301.
Fourth, all government agents are already supposed to provide lawful and necessary consideration to aid the bearer in the unimpeded exercised of their Constitutionally protected rights... it just happens that none of the stuff above that statement happens to actually fall into that category.

--Patrick

Last edited:
"Muh Freedom."

Literally, that's what they're saying. They believe that the mask requirement infringes on some sort of personal freedom enshrined in the Constitution, probably the 1st Amendment's guarantee of "Freedom of Expression." However. this is patently untrue. Time and time again, it has been ruled that FoE does NOT grant license for a person to do what they want, when they want, and without reprisal. The most common example of this NOT applying would be yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater 4 teh lulz. Something like this is NOT considered "protected speech." What these people are advocating is not "Constitutionally guaranteed Freedom." It's not even Liberalism, but instead something more like Individualist Anarchism or maybe Autarchism.

But if you want to know just to what lengths these people are willing to go in order to not have to wear their accursed masks:

View attachment 34372

Okay so first of all it's "HIPAA," not "HIPPA."
Second of all, neither HIPPA HIPAA nor the ADA are enshrined in the Constitution.
Thirdly, the correct ADA phone number is 800-514-0301.
Fourth, all government agents are already supposed to provide lawful and necessary consideration to aid the bearer in the unimpeded exercised of their Constitutionally protected rights... it just happens that none of the stuff above that statement happens to actually fall into that category.

--Patrick
And WE reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. So put your fucking mask on, or take your "sovereign citizen" bullshit out of my fucking sight.

Dave

Staff member
Guy in Omaha goes to a bar but because of Covid they were only allowed to let in a certain amount of people and they were already at capacity. So this pisses the guy off and he does this. Oh, and the OLD WHITE GUY is saying they were yelling racial slurs at him. Riiiiiight.

Novak Djokovic just tested positive. He had participated in a small regional tennis tournament recently.

That should pretty much end the idea that of pro sports returning. No insurance company will agree to cover the athletes.

Dave

Staff member
He's also an anti-vaxxer and not only participated in the tournament, he set it up to prove that coronavirus was bullshit.

So fuck that guy.