Coronavirus Thread

Hawaii is going to start letting visitors in again without the 14-day quarantine as long as they have a negative COVID test before traveling.

If Qantas will book flights there, we will come back to the states that way. As it stands, we can only get home flying to NZ and getting on an Air Tahiti flight to LAX!

Canada said:
Okay America, get your shit together.

Get it all together.

And put it in a backpack.

All your shit.

So it's together.

And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it… Or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.

Get your shit together!

My mom and my southern Alberta dipshit idiot family are all still planning to go to Hawaii in December. No amount of me pleading will stop them.
A lot can change by then. The state might be shut down again. Who knows. Hopefully they will change their minds about coming here.

If Qantas will book flights there, we will come back to the states that way. As it stands, we can only get home flying to NZ and getting on an Air Tahiti flight to LAX!
I just double checked the news. The 14-day quarantine is set to be lifted August 1. I thought it was going to be mid-July. I can keep you up-to-date on it if you need more info.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be working from home for the next 6 months. Time to find a good chair for a heavy dude.

Also this county has one of the highest per capita infection rates.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's distressing to hear a coworker, who I know to be a REALLY smart guy, to say with an exaggeratedly exhausted sigh "I'm of the opinion we should just get it all over with. We've had 200 cases here and only like 25 deaths, soo... we'll be fine. My wife is all 'but our kids have had pneumonia in the past, they'll die!' No, they won't, it'll be fine."

Dude. a 10.5% death rate isn't great, first of all, and it's only that low because we flattened the curve and kept the patient load lower than our local hospitals can handle. You'd be singing a different tune if you knew you couldn't get your kids into a hospital for ANY reason (not just COVID) because they're overwhelmed by COVID patients.

The other day my mom was like "You can't just sit in the house forever, you have to go out sometimes."

And I'm just like "1. Yes I can, and 2. That's what I did pre-pandemic, I can just do it more now because activities have been cancelled."

It's distressing to hear a coworker, who I know to be a REALLY smart guy, to say with an exaggeratedly exhausted sigh "I'm of the opinion we should just get it all over with. We've had 200 cases here and only like 25 deaths, soo... we'll be fine. My wife is all 'but our kids have had pneumonia in the past, they'll die!' No, they won't, it'll be fine."

Dude. a 10.5% death rate isn't great, first of all, and it's only that low because we flattened the curve and kept the patient load lower than our local hospitals can handle. You'd be singing a different tune if you knew you couldn't get your kids into a hospital for ANY reason (not just COVID) because they're overwhelmed by COVID patients.
I hate when people say stuff like that. It’s very narrow sighted. Sure, he might be ok, but for all he knows maybe he has an undiagnosed health issue. My mother’s serious heart problem wasn’t diagnosed until much later in life. Not all diseases/conditions have outward signs like mine.

But if he is ok, his wife and kids may not be and a large portion of his community won’t be. Those of us with medical issues will not be given the same level of care if there is a shortage of medical care. This is what he needs to think about when he wants to get it over with.

I apologize for my rant. I don’t know the guy, but I have heard this so much in the last few months and it takes all my strength not to unleash.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Also, yeah, he and his family might be fine, but what about all the others he's going to infect since he's not taking precautions? I fucking HATE wearing a mask but I do it just in case so I don't get anyone else sick. The mask won't help ME but it might help someone else.

Also, yeah, he and his family might be fine, but what about all the others he's going to infect since he's not taking precautions? I fucking HATE wearing a mask but I do it just in case so I don't get anyone else sick. The mask won't help ME but it might help someone else.
And if we all wear masks, then the transmission rates will be so much lower. With my immune system, I am relying on the mask wearing of others. Usually I’m on three immune suppression meds, but I’m currently on four. I can’t leave the house for a week.

"I'm of the opinion we should just get it all over with...."
Recent research has suggested that protective post-infection immunity may wane quickly, so unlike, say, chickenpox, this likely won't ever be a one-and-done-type disease. Until there's been enough time for a sufficient number of previously infected people to become re-exposed, it'll be harder to pinpoint the range of time that previous infection will provide some level of protection. (NB the linked article is a summary piece, but a couple of primary articles are linked in the article text.)

GasBandit

Staff member
The Mayor here just issued an ordinance requiring any business staying open to require masks for all employees AND visitors, with a $1000/day fine for noncompliance.

This guy repeatedly says he “wont be muzzled like a dog” and he’s right, he’s not a dog. Dogs actually show empathy for people.

dang..I saw a "face mask exemption reversal card" last night that was funny as hell. It said something like "the bearer of this card is exempt from your face mask exemption card" and the poster suggested showing it to people who show you their fake mask exemption card.

I thought I'd saved it, but I can't find it this morning! :(
Found it!

1593225822990.png

One of the only good things I can see coming out of all this is we probably going to get a hilarious zombie movie someday.

"Look out the dead walk the earth! Hurry takes this vaccine to stop from turning!"

"Do you know what is in that stuff? It's how the government tracks you. Besides, I heard this whole virus is a hoax."

"Dude, run! Please! At least wear this neck armor before they bite you! Here they come!"

"Forcing me to wear neck armor is unconstitutional, now if you excuse me I am going to walk unprotected into this grocery store full of moaning employees."

*Proceeds to get mauled by zombies*

"Hey stop stiffing my rights! I want to speak to your managgggeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Look, those zombies are good consumers, and they're an essential part of keeping the economy running. Plenty of people will gladly volunteer to be eaten by them if it means they'll keep the shop open during these troubling times and help support the stock market.

Dave

Staff member
One of the only good things I can see coming out of all this is we probably going to get a hilarious zombie movie someday.

"Look out the dead walk the earth! Hurry takes this vaccine to stop from turning!"

"Do you know what is in that stuff? It's how the government tracks you. Besides, I heard this whole virus is a hoax."

"Dude, run! Please! At least wear this neck armor before they bite you! Here they come!"

"Forcing me to wear neck armor is unconstitutional, now if you excuse me I am going to walk unprotected into this grocery store full of moaning employees."

*Proceeds to get mauled by zombies*

"Hey stop stiffing my rights! I want to speak to your managgggeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"
Send this to Hollywood right now. “Karen of the Dead”.