Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member

I'm also hearing reports of maskless students tearing the masks off of other students. If only schools would treat that as the assault it is.

The bra strap “crisis” in schools makes me see red. It’s a bra strap FFS why on earth is that such a big deal? I’m wearing a tank top today and my bra strap was visible at my medical appointment and then at the plant store. No one accosted me and the sight of said bra strap didn’t cause anyone to pass out or spontaneously combust.

Yet wearing a mask, which actually is a life and death issue, is a personal choice?!

WTF is wrong with people?

GasBandit

Staff member
The bra strap “crisis” in schools makes me see red. It’s a bra strap FFS why on earth is that such a big deal? I’m wearing a tank top today and my bra strap was visible at my medical appointment and then at the plant store. No one accosted me and the sight of said bra strap didn’t cause anyone to pass out or spontaneously combust.

Yet wearing a mask, which actually is a life and death issue, is a personal choice?!

WTF is wrong with people?
It is to get girls used to people telling them what they're allowed to do with their bodies.

It is to get girls used to people telling them what they're allowed to do with their bodies.
Got it in one!

Our daughter got sent home once for wearing shorts that were too short. I called the school and asked where in town I could buy shorts of an appropriate length. That year, and many years, the stores have knee length shorts for boys and daisy dukes for girls. She had to wear leggings which isn’t fair.

I once had a female classmate who hadn't realized she'd suffered a wardrobe malfunction and basically half of a bra cup was showing. It led to me pondering when it's appropriate to tell a girl, "Hey, your bra is showing." Like, what level of familiarity should we be at before I can tell a female friend/classmate that her undergarments are being displayed in a way that she probably didn't intend? Would she want me to tell her no matter what? Or would she prefer I pretend I didn't notice, and just let her eventually discover it herself? Would she be grateful? Would she be upset? Would she be offended if I looked? Maybe I should just glance significantly chest-ward, but not say anything?

More on topic, my wife's an elementary school teacher here in Taiwan, and the regulations at her school are that teachers and students must keep their mask on at all times, apart from meals. She says wearing a mask all day can be uncomfortable, but the students generally all obey this edict without question. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

I had a guy at work compliment me on my unusual jewelry at lunch one day. I was super confused as I wasn’t wearing any.

I had spilled so much food on my chest lol. I would want to know.

Fucking lol.

First he gets human trafficked by his daughter and now he's dying of COVID in Serbia. She continues to use him as a prop for her own grifts.

He taught her well.

Something something when truth becomes a crime...
I have not read the article, so I may be wrong. If the student was suspended explicitly for sharing the truth of how badly they are managing COVID-19 at that school, you can feel free to ignore me.

Schools ban the recording of other students while on campus, and especially if the recording is uploaded to the internet, because the legal system allows parents to sue the school for a violation of their child’s privacy by another child.

Let’s say kid A records a video of kid B and posts it on the internet. Kid B’s parents find out and are upset because it’s private, harassing, embarrassing, etc. Kid B’s parent can (and sometimes do) sue the school for not adequately preventing the recording. This is true even at the middle school I work, where we have 1400 students. There are only about 100 staff members, and we can’t possibly catch everything (especially given how easy it is to take out your phone, snap a video or photo, and then hide your phone in your pocket).

But parents and the legal system don’t care. School districts have had to pay millions for the actions of independent students recording and uploading other students, even at times when no staff member could have possibly been there to stop it (restrooms, for example). So we have to ban any recording and posting. We make this explicitly clear to students, so violating that rule for any reason can get one punished.

Should they have done it in this case? Maybe not. But it’s still a common rule.

Last edited:
Schools hide behind that a lot when they are meant to have a zero tolerance policy for bullying and hate crimes and hopefully public health hazards. We can’t see everything. True. But I am showing you evidence it happened. This kid is showing how dangerous the school is. Do they have the legal right to post the video? No, likely not. However, in a life and death situation, is it the biggest issue there?

Spoken from a Canadian, non-litigious point of view so please disregard if I am oversimplifying when lawsuits are super common.

Wow, my grammar is off. I’m still not right from double treatments yesterday. I hope my post makes some sense.

I know my wife has to blur out any kids' faces in any photos or videos she takes of her classroom, and it it to protect the students' whereabouts in cases where an abusive relative might be looking for them.

Schools hide behind that a lot when they are meant to have a zero tolerance policy for bullying and hate crimes and hopefully public health hazards. We can’t see everything. True. But I am showing you evidence it happened. This kid is showing how dangerous the school is. Do they have the legal right to post the video? No, likely not. However, in a life and death situation, is it the biggest issue there?

Spoken from a Canadian, non-litigious point of view so please disregard if I am oversimplifying when lawsuits are super common.
We could go around and around on this. I could argue zero tolerance policies are racist, as they tend to affect BIPOC students more than their white counterparts. I could argue that one has a right to privacy, which would trump a person’s right to record themselves and others. But you do have a point that too many schools will use the specter of a lawsuit as an excuse to hide from their responsibilities to keep students safe.

I will say that my own school does not automatically punish a student for taking a picture or video, especially if that recording is done to show evidence of a greater problem. We will, however, go after any student posting any recording to the internet without explicit permission from all people in the recording... even if the intent was to show a greater problem. But my school is not all schools, so it doesn’t matter much.

Earlier I just wanted to point out that this school in Georgia may be enforcing it’s own zero tolerance rule to prevent bullying (and lawsuits) by suspending the kid who took the photo, rather than punishing him for making the school look bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
Thatseems like it'd drain battery
Ehhh, not especially, if you're in the habit of keeping bluetooth turned on all the time and not just when you're paired. One message every 5+ minutes will consume negligible power, and if your BT is on, it's already receiving signals constantly from everything around it.

If I'm travelling somewhere by car, I'm connecting my bluetooth to the car. If I'm walking, I'm connecting to my wireless headphones. In either case, you know I'm too lazy to disconnect and reconnect everytime I need to enter a building. That bluetooth is on at least until I get home.