Coronavirus Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
I have not read the article, so I may be wrong. If the student was suspended explicitly for sharing the truth of how badly they are managing COVID-19 at that school, you can feel free to ignore me.

Schools ban the recording of other students while on campus, and especially if the recording is uploaded to the internet, because the legal system allows parents to sue the school for a violation of their child’s privacy by another child.

Let’s say kid A records a video of kid B and posts it on the internet. Kid B’s parents find out and are upset because it’s private, harassing, embarrassing, etc. Kid B’s parent can (and sometimes do) sue the school for not adequately preventing the recording. This is true even at the middle school I work, where we have 1400 students. There are only about 100 staff members, and we can’t possibly catch everything (especially given how easy it is to take out your phone, snap a video or photo, and then hide your phone in your pocket).

But parents and the legal system don’t care. School districts have had to pay millions for the actions of independent students recording and uploading other students, even at times when no staff member could have possibly been there to stop it (restrooms, for example). So we have to ban any recording and posting. We make this explicitly clear to students, so violating that rule for any reason can get one punished.

Should they have done it in this case? Maybe not. But it’s still a common rule.
You're right, it is against multiple school policies, but there's definitely more to the story:

Two Students Say They Were Suspended From Their Georgia High School For Posting Photos Of Crowded Hallways

"We have a progressive discipline system. When disciplining me and the other student, they skipped level one and went straight to two." - one of the suspended students said. This wasn't just following policy, since this was a student who says she's never been in trouble before.

"Despite reports of positive COVID-19 cases among students and staff, classes have resumed and students have been told they could face expulsion if they don't attend."

"The school district has also chosen not to enforce mask-wearing, calling it a 'personal choice,' "

Another article has more disturbing information.

A staff member attended planning sessions while symptomatic, and later tested positive, but the school is refusing to even confirm if any other teachers or staff have tested positive "citing privacy concerns".

Their virtual learning option had limited slots, and at least some parents weren't even notified of that option before slots were already full.

--

I have no doubts that this is not an isolated case, and that the majority of schools across the country are doing, or are going to be doing, the exact same things.

Batten down the hatches, it's going to get bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, that school administration doesn't give two shits about protecting student identities, they're telling the students and teachers they'll be bad evaluations/suspended if they even TALK about the conditions in social media.

We had to go out today. I screwed up lunch (wrong rice in the soup, became complete and utter mush, but not like congee, which would have been pleasant) so we tried to go to our local diner. It was afternoon so our normal waitress wasn't there, her ex-daughter-in-law was. Our waitress doesn't like the mask mandate, she thinks it's ridiculous made up bullshit, and she wishes people would stop all this political crap; but she enforces it. Abby (not her real name)? Not by a long shot. We drank a couple of sips of soda and left a $10 on the table after half the restaurant refused to wear masks and one of the other patrons tried to get us to take ours off. Then we went to the grocery store. It was more full than we would've liked, but we were both hangry, so we needed to get some food. At least half the people in the store weren't wearing masks. Several people wanted to snuggle with us in the store. There was one chud that was obviously itching for a fight and not wearing a mask - just waiting for someone to say something, so his last cranked out brain cell could fire one last time. I don't fight idiots though, and anyone stupid enough to go in a store looking to pick a fight over the mask mandate is definitely an idiot, so we just backed off a couple dozen feet and rerouted around him.

So, now we have to go out one more time tomorrow to buy as much weed as we're legally allowed to buy at one time, and duckling food, and then we're going to stay in until... 2022, I think. Aside from the obvious deployment into PDX, Eugene, Salem, or wherever we're most needed once the ducklings are old enough to be by themselves for long periods of time.

Canada is a different place. Mask mandate in place here. No one bitches about it, nearly everyone is wearing them now. Even here in the middle of Alberta.

School decided, partial in person learning. Half Monday Tuesday, half Thursday Friday.

We’re going to have to talk to our daughter. I’m not real sure any safety measures they put in place will really be followed. Around here it’s basically wear your mask through the door, then take it off. There is no way they’ll be able to enforce a mask requirement to a bunch of high schoolers whose parents tell them it’s bullshit. We sent an email to the swim team coach on what their plan will be, and they basically said there’s too many kids and the pool is too small to enforce any type of social distancing, so there is no COVID plan. How can a school allow a sport to start with no plan in place.

I’m trying to be fair to my daughter though, and at least have a conversation about it. High school is hard enough. I just wish the administration would be a bit smarter about this.

Yeah, that school administration doesn't give two shits about protecting student identities, they're telling the students and teachers they'll be bad evaluations/suspended if they even TALK about the conditions in social media.

Well, with that and @figmentPez ’s post you can ignore what I said. That school is just being shitty and trying to scare everyone into covering up their incompetence.

I'm so glad our schools are being responsible about this. No one in person at first, and everyone can choose to be at home only for the full year if they want. If things start to go south, everyone goes back home full time, based on actual science and available information.

I seriously wonder how many kids are going to die, and if the parents (assuming they live) will understand why.

It is hardly the fault of the teacher when the government from the top down is forcing in class re-opening.

There is only so much a teacher can do with the shit sandwich they’ve been handed and no funds enact all of these awesome new protocols.

Pardon my cranky, I must be back a few pages ago when I think a year of online school isn’t a bad thing.

I wish this wasn’t true. I’m already gearing up for a rough year dealing with unhappy parents, and I can see this is almost certainly in our collective future.
This is one of the reasons both Mr. Z and I weren't even hesitant to take the "full virtual schooling" option. Yeah, the kids are there 2 days a week for half-days, but the staff is there all week. How the hell are they going to avoid getting and passing it around?! I think it's insane to put teachers at risk like that when in a lot of cases, they can just as easily do remote schooling. Or the ones that didn't have a good remote plan in the spring should have been spending the summer working on setting one up!

This is one of the reasons both Mr. Z and I weren't even hesitant to take the "full virtual schooling" option. Yeah, the kids are there 2 days a week for half-days, but the staff is there all week. How the hell are they going to avoid getting and passing it around?! I think it's insane to put teachers at risk like that when in a lot of cases, they can just as easily do remote schooling. Or the ones that didn't have a good remote plan in the spring should have been spending the summer working on setting one up!
In the spring, Our school literally just gave kids their assignments and had them do them on their own and turn them in. My daughter got them daily, my son got a pile at the beginning of the week to have turned in by the end of the week. My daughter hated this a lot, and stuck with it for the first few weeks, then pretty much spiraled into depression and stopped doing anything. This is a kid who has literally been skating through school because it's all too easy for her, and didn't need help with anything. I can only imagine what it was like for kids who actually struggled. The school district spent time fixing this plan over the summer, and offered a choice between full online school through an accredited online program, or hybrid learning. They have since decided to start the year virtual only, and actually do things like video conferencing in to classrooms for class 4 days a week, with Fridays being for solo work. This will hopefully work out better for her. She's starting high school, so it's not like the elementary kids who have to do it, which I'm sure is going to be dumb.

In the spring, Our school literally just gave kids their assignments and had them do them on their own and turn them in. My daughter got them daily, my son got a pile at the beginning of the week to have turned in by the end of the week. My daughter hated this a lot, and stuck with it for the first few weeks, then pretty much spiraled into depression and stopped doing anything. This is a kid who has literally been skating through school because it's all too easy for her, and didn't need help with anything. I can only imagine what it was like for kids who actually struggled. The school district spent time fixing this plan over the summer, and offered a choice between full online school through an accredited online program, or hybrid learning. They have since decided to start the year virtual only, and actually do things like video conferencing in to classrooms for class 4 days a week, with Fridays being for solo work. This will hopefully work out better for her. She's starting high school, so it's not like the elementary kids who have to do it, which I'm sure is going to be dumb.
This is like what I’ll be doing starting next week. I will teach periods 1, 2, and 3 on Mondays and Thursdays. I’ll teach periods 4, 5, and 6 on Tuesdays and Fridays. Wednesday will be a solo work day for students while I have meetings & time to plan/grade. During classes I’ll be on camera, doing whole group instruction like a normal class.

I think it’s going to work well... but our district only reluctantly agreed when teachers fought against going back. They want to rush us back into class as soon as they can get away with it, regardless of whether it’s safe.

This is a the bizarro world my profession has found itself in. And I have it way, way better than other teachers around the country.

This is like what I’ll be doing starting next week. I will teach periods 1, 2, and 3 on Mondays and Thursdays. I’ll teach periods 4, 5, and 6 on Tuesdays and Fridays. Wednesday will be a solo work day for students while I have meetings & time to plan/grade. During classes I’ll be on camera, doing whole group instruction like a normal class.

I think it’s going to work well... but our district only reluctantly agreed when teachers fought against going back. They want to rush us back into class as soon as they can get away with it, regardless of whether it’s safe.

This is a the bizarro world my profession has found itself in. And I have it way, way better than other teachers around the country.
Yep same idea, periods 1 - 4 on Mon/Wed, and periods 5 - 8 on Tues/Thurs.

Sturgis motorcycle rally is happening. 250,000 people from across the USA in only 600 acres.

On the plus side, used Harleys should be pretty cheap in 6-8 weeks.

New York State is opening. My gf is a teacher. My boss just told me they were going to buy what I need for when I'm quarantining in September-October.

I work in a high school, as tech support, kids come in on Mon & Tues OR Wed & Thurs. I'm there all week. This was done because our Republican dumb-fuck Governor wanted to lick Trump's boot and mandated that schools must open. We have the option to review this plan after September, but that is just whether or not we will go to full 5-day instruction. Parents do have the option to go full virtual instruction and we are working on getting wifi hot spots out to the areas that need it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Health directors told to keep quiet as Florida leaders pressed to reopen classrooms

"As Gov. Ron DeSantis pushed this summer for schools to reopen, state leaders told school boards they would need Health Department approval if they wanted to keep classrooms closed.

"Then they instructed health directors not to give it."

Let me repeat that. Florida's government told schools they'd need Health Department approval to stay closed, then told the Health Department to deny all schools such approval.

The state of Arizona released its "Standards for Reopening School" benchmarks yesterday.

The three benchmarks, labeled Minimal, Moderate, and Substantial, have three separate "targets" that need to be met to make it to the lowest benchmark to fully reopen.

Two of these targets are based on COVID-like illnesses (which I'm assuming are things like pneumonia) and on testing. Those are on a 5-10% level between Minimal (less than 5%) and Substantial (10% or more).

The major target, though, is cases per 100,000 (which is a really fancy way of saying "how many thousandths of a percent is it"). The cutoffs are at 10 and 100 - which means that to even get to Moderate benchmark, you'd need to have a percentage of active cases per population at 0.1%.

Guess how many of Arizona's 15 counties meet this criteria. (Hint: it's less than the qualification for the Moderate benchmark in population.)

We're basically in lock down again. About 150-200 new cases every day for the last 2 weeks with 99% of those on Oahu. The 14 day quarantine is back for inter-island travel. Parks and beaches are closing as of 12am tonight/tomorrow morning. School went from hybrid to delayed start of the school year to all virtual in the span of a week. I am so freaking stressed out I could implode.

I'm waiting for the point where the government just says, "All right. You have one week to lay in supplies, which will be followed by a two-week enforced quarantine. The military will be dispatched to patrol every major urban center. Nobody will be allowed outside their homes, all freeways and gas stations will be closed, and anyone seen in public will be shot and killed, no questions asked.'

I'm thinking they'll probably start it just before Hallowe'en, maybe run it through at least Nov 10th or so.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Dave'd test came back all negative & shit. So I'm just garden variety sick, not Covid sick. So....yay me?