Coronavirus Thread

There are a LOT of dumb Americans, no doubt (just there there are many dumb Canadians and dumb people all across the world). But I don't know. I'd like to believe it's a lot less than 80%. The majority of Americans are good people, who want change. Unfortunately, it's the loudest and most powerful (see also: rich, white, etc) that carry a lot of influence.

He thinks it's him delivering a saving grace to the people. Remember: if he understood medium-to-longterm consequences, he would've none more than nothing about corona

I still dont understand why he’s so gung-ho to get a vaccine out when the antivaxxers are in his camp. I feel like i missed something somewhere

I still dont understand why he’s so gung-ho to get a vaccine out when the antivaxxers are in his camp. I feel like i missed something somewhere
Because if he brings out a vaccine 2 days before the election the way he's planning then he can say "vote for me I fixed it" & if it doesn't work or has horrible side effects then it doesn't matter because he's already been re-elected.

And here you see Boulder County desperately trying to keep hybrid school reopenings happening in two weeks, while throwing out bans that will be useless/probably illegal.

I can't wait to see if they ban 18 year old seniors from going to school. :p My son is in continuing education right now, with other special ed 18 - 21 year olds, are they going to be banned from going back to school when they try to reopen? We shall see. If they make an exception for that, I will lol.

figmentPez

Staff member
My mother is disappointed that cruise ships are going to make people wear masks. She wants to go on a cruise again, but hates the idea of wearing masks. She thinks masks are a bigger threat than COVID-19 is.

I can't. The very idea that "you can't mandate social responsibility" boggles my mind. I hate how brainwashed my parents have become. These are NOT the moral stances my mom would have taken 20 years ago.

EDIT: "Medicine is the only science that works by consensus" NO, no it is not! That's how all of science works! That's one of the cornerstones of peer review! The consensus gets challenged on a regular basis, but if the vast majority of a science agrees with one viewpoint, it's generally held as true. All of science strives to find a consensus, that is the ideal for how science is supposed to work.

Last edited:
My mother is disappointed that cruise ships are going to make people wear masks. She wants to go on a cruise again, but hates the idea of wearing masks. She thinks masks are a bigger threat than COVID-19 is.

I can't. The very idea that "you can't mandate social responsibility" boggles my mind. I hate how brainwashed my parents have become. These are NOT the moral stances my mom would have taken 20 years ago.

EDIT: "Medicine is the only science that works by consensus" NO, no it is not! That's how all of science works! That's one of the cornerstones of peer review! The consensus gets challenged on a regular basis, but if the vast majority of a science agrees with one viewpoint, it's generally held as true. All of science strives to find a consensus, that is the ideal for how science is supposed to work.
I wonder if she'd reconsider if you told her some of the earliest outbreaks were ON cruise ships and they were one of the first things to really shut down.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wonder if she'd reconsider if you told her some of the earliest outbreaks were ON cruise ships and they were one of the first things to really shut down.
No, that wouldn't change her mind. She doesn't think it's a problem. She's convinced that we know enough about treatment now that it's not dangerous.

My sister is the same. She had a cruise booked for mid-March this year and the amount of rage from her because she had to cancel it was appalling.

People are dying. People are sick and developing complications that could scar them for life. Your cruise can be taken again, but their lives are forever changed.

Don’t get me started on the her rage fits on the economy being closed. She had dubious information and anecdotes to support her position, but she wanted Starbucks and Botox how she wanted them and when she wanted them.

figmentPez

Staff member
The double-think involved in all of this is amazing.

"We don't need a lockdown because Sweden didn't have to lockdown and they're doing well."

Their leadership provided a clear message that was backed by science and people voluntarily followed those guidelines. They didn't have to be ordered to shut down because they did it anyway. Our leadership can't even manage to back science and tell people to follow the experts, so of course we need to mandate people doing what's right. You cannot defend Trump and praise Sweden because they are polar opposites when it comes to following medical guidelines.

"Masks aren't necessary, handwashing is enough."

No, this is an airborne pathogen. You cannot address an airborne disease with handwashing. Besides, weren't you just saying we should look to Sweden as an example? What worked in Sweden only did because of masks!

"Mandating masks just limits freedom. You can't legislate social responsibility"

You know what else "limits freedom"? Requiring people to hook their houses up to proper sewage systems. I know it seems like a horrible burden to require that people not just empty their chamber pots into the street, but I think it's worth a little restriction to not have to walk through other people's shit.

figmentPez

Staff member
Florida going to Florida

And that tweet is like the tip of the iceberg. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis proposes college ‘bill of rights’ to party

“I understand that universities are trying to do the right thing,” the governor told reporters, “but I personally think its dramatically draconian that a student could get potentially expelled for going to a party. That’s what college kids do,” DeSantis said at a Thursday news briefing at the Capitol.

He wants to make it a right to endanger the lives of others.

And that tweet is like the tip of the iceberg. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis proposes college ‘bill of rights’ to party

“I understand that universities are trying to do the right thing,” the governor told reporters, “but I personally think its dramatically draconian that a student could get potentially expelled for going to a party. That’s what college kids do,” DeSantis said at a Thursday news briefing at the Capitol.

He wants to make it a right to endanger the lives of others.
I posted that yesterday.

GasBandit

Staff member
Last time I saw that on Imgur, someone in the comments said she was a known K-Pop idol, and the dude who walked up behind them with the odd arm stance was a Paparazzi holding his camera low trying to get an upskirt shot.

I am endlessly frustrated by the fact that my parents think that Coronavirus is over because New York State is in good shape.

Heck, I know some people in Texas who think Coronavirus is over just because they're tired of it.
My mother literally just..... said that Trump is the one who shut things down and Dem governors just trying to make Trump look bad by not reopening.

Fox News is a hell of a drug.

I hang up on her everytime she starts raging at me, and 75% of the time I don't answer the phone, should have just done that today. I literally texted her after she started rage texting me and said that I'm 40 years old and I'm not going to let her yell at me like I'm a toddler and I will hang up every time she does it. I'm sure she's now crying about how mean I am. Fuck off.

(She also says that she wholely believes school taught me wrong and I was brainwashed. Please go watch more Fox News)