Coronavirus Thread

How did we ever survive as a species
Our elementary had that when the weather was warm. Classes had an assigned time they could go outside, take off their masks, have a snack break and stay socially distanced (supposedly). Once the weather got cold, no more breaks. But we're still full-remote with Li'l Z, so it's all moot for us.

My daughter's high school has mask breaks, but outside. Which is mostly relevant for lunch, and from what I hear, they have people monitoring the students to make sure they stay separate.

To follow up: so far, so good, although we're not sure if he's experiencing any side-effects. He had a headache last night, but that may also we due to the rain/snow storm we're getting today. (He gets headaches from changes in the barometric pressure.) He said he didn't sleep well and is groggy today, but he also had to stay at his mom's place last night and he never sleeps well on that bed. So today we're playing a game of "Is It Side-Effects or Bad Luck?".

7 day average for new cases in NS is 5. 14 day is 15.

So we got restrictions lifted! We may now have 75% occupancy in stores and restaurants.

Boris is currently planning an end to all legal restrictions due to COVID-19 on 21 June. All UK adults should have been offered a vaccine by the end of July. GET THAT FUCKING DONE FIRST! Then open up the country completely!

Well we've had a bad few days. 8 new cases yesterday 10 today. Bringing us up to about 40 active cases.

Good news is our testing is ramping up so our positivity is very low. The bulk of the cases are from travel outsidebthe province and close contacts with those people.

But looks like restrictions are back on the menu boys!

figmentPez

Staff member
Ugh, just saw a copy/paste post on FB about "Can I hug my grandpa after I get the vaccine? No? Then why should I take it?" and from a young college student no less. Boomers aren't the only idiot anti-vaxxers.

Stupid, selfish, short-sighed... No, getting the vaccine doesn't guarantee immunity, but that doesn't mean that no one who gets it becomes immune. The whole thing was a long list of bad logic, half-truths, and egotistical grandstanding. And don't get me started on the "99.7% survival rate" bullshit. There's more to surviving COVID-19 than just if you die or not, ya vacuous lil' proto-Karen! Do you want a lifetime of disability because of permanent organ damage? Because that's how you get organ damage.

The biggest problem in all this is - and has been since it started - when do we know we can do "normal" again, or something similar to it?

That has never been answered by anyone.

I dunno, I feel like behavior can change a bit once you've been vaccinated. Like, my grandma was talking about how misses her bridge game and I was like "you're vaccine kicks in in a few weeks, all of your bridge friends have been vaccinated, you can probably play bridge with them."

Oh for fuck's sake...

Texas governor lifts mask mandate despite health officials' warnings

"Also announced Tuesday, Abbott said businesses of any type will be allowed to open 100% beginning March 10."

And the GOP continues to actively try to kill people.
I see these things, and I wonder if these people genuinely don't understand what they're doing. Like, when the death rate continues to rise despite vaccinations being available, will they get that it was a bad idea, or do they actually know that now and in their head the greater good is just letting people die so we can make sure we don't lose another Cheesecake Factory?

My wife has been fuming ever since we heard the news about Abbott lifting the restrictions. I was not planning to get a vaccination for a while because I mostly stay home but she's looking into getting one for me now through her work. We feel like there's a chance we could go back to square one here because idiots can't be patient.