Coronavirus Thread

Okay.....we have banned all international flights into NS for a long time and just now banned all non NS entries...and the most recent source has come from Ontario...and the people he's calling Indian are Phillipino....and why does he thinks you're Indian

Fuck it, it's @GasBandit s birthday somewhere in the world....

WTF does "and second half all I have friends of your guys descents" mean? I'm usually good at deciphering gibberish, due to my job, but this one has me stymied.
“And, second of all, I have friends [who are] of you guys’ descent.”

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
WTF does "and second half all I have friends of your guys descents" mean? I'm usually good at deciphering gibberish, due to my job, but this one has me stymied.
If he's using text-to-speech he could have said "second of all", or maybe he thinks "second half all" is the actual turn of phrase.

People around her seem to be getting a bit lax on the covid precautions.

Masks are supposed to be mandatory on public transportation but I rode on a fairly full bus and I was the only person wearing one.

Full lockdown.
No gatherings >5 people indoors
No gatherings >25 people outdoors, distancing required
Restaurants to take out only
No events of any kind. Of any kind. Period.
Schools and daycares remain open
Schools with a recent exposure closed and online classes resuming
All travel limited to travel to work, medical appointments, once a week grocery or court mandated appearances.

Get tested. More tests the better data.

Thanks Ontario.

Some of you may wonder why I say that. A couple from Ontario just moved here. They did not quarantine for 2 weeks and follow protocols. They did hit up numerous grocery stores, cafes, wineries, gyms and liqour stores. Then threw a house warming party for all their friends and family.

And now covid is eveywhere.

Thanks Ontario.

Meanwhile, we have 1200 cases a day in Colorado, and I've seen signs up in my county about how since restrictions are left to local ordinance now, we have no restrictions! So tbh I'm jealous. :p

That's just whats new today. Earlier in the week we essentially banned all travel into the province. If you're not on the tiny list of essential people, from PEI or NFLD, or NS and can prove it, your get turned back at the border.

Some of you may wonder why I say that. A couple from Ontario just moved here. They did not quarantine for 2 weeks and follow protocols. They did hit up numerous grocery stores, cafes, wineries, gyms and liqour stores. Then threw a house warming party for all their friends and family.
Sounds like they're Nova Scotians now.

I think this is the first week we've had where we haven't gotten a notification about someone at our school having Covid.

I think this is the first week we've had where we haven't gotten a notification about someone at our school having Covid.
We haven’t gotten a notification since probably November. And the other day our schools sent an email making sure parents understood how important being safe was, and if they weren’t careful school activities would be canceled. Maybe you should make sure parents know when positive cases are reported before trying to preach to everyone else about being safe you ass hats.

So I got my first dose of the vaccine yesterday. Other then the sore arm not having any other side effects so far, so that is good.

I was going to come here afterwards and say how proud I have been with my local community and masks. A lot more people are wearing them out and about, and stores are still having mandates even after the state ended their mandate. Of course, then after getting my shot I dropped by a place to pick up some dinner for my family, and looking inside some dude who worked there was wandering around with his mask under his chin, trying to show the dude making the food something on his phone and doing pretty much nothing else. All my good will evaporated.

As an aside, I don't think I ever want to go back to people in food prep not wearing masks. The dude reminded me that I have become accustomed to knowing that the people handling my food are not laughing and talking and spitting all over my food while they prepare it, and watching him wander back there without his mask made me almost send it back, but I realized he was not close enough to spittle all over it, so I decided to just be polite. I know that is just how I am going to look at it now once the masks come off though, a bunch of people spitting all over my food unintentionally.

So I got my first dose of the vaccine yesterday. Other then the sore arm not having any other side effects so far, so that is good.

I was going to come here afterwards and say how proud I have been with my local community and masks. A lot more people are wearing them out and about, and stores are still having mandates even after the state ended their mandate. Of course, then after getting my shot I dropped by a place to pick up some dinner for my family, and looking inside some dude who worked there was wandering around with his mask under his chin, trying to show the dude making the food something on his phone and doing pretty much nothing else. All my good will evaporated.

As an aside, I don't think I ever want to go back to people in food prep not wearing masks. The dude reminded me that I have become accustomed to knowing that the people handling my food are not laughing and talking and spitting all over my food while they prepare it, and watching him wander back there without his mask made me almost send it back, but I realized he was not close enough to spittle all over it, so I decided to just be polite. I know that is just how I am going to look at it now once the masks come off though, a bunch of people spitting all over my food unintentionally.
Do you remember those unhygienic fools back in the days who used to deliberately force people to spit and blow all over a cake before eating it? Madness!

im just gonna say it, im starting to think covid is the thing that is going to stop humanities unchallenged growth pretty quick. given how it looks to be on the course to make the miracle vaccine a non-point, "normal" will be years from now, and there will be many less people when it happens.

im just gonna say it, im starting to think covid is the thing that is going to stop humanities unchallenged growth pretty quick. given how it looks to be on the course to make the miracle vaccine a non-point, "normal" will be years from now, and there will be many less people when it happens.
And I'd be okay with that, honestly. I think Covid has given us, as a society, a minute to stop and really look at what we're doing. There's more talk about the impact of climate change, especially when we saw just how quick the air cleared when barely anyone drove their cars last year. We've seen how quickly we can apply accommodations for people to work or do school from home, something that people with disabilities have pleaded for and struggled to get for a long time. We've seen how precarious our health systems are in nearly every country and how quickly it can get overwhelmed.

On the negative side of things, we've seen the levels of selfishness some people will take upon themselves, like coming up with excuses for not wearing a mask or being outright hostile about it. We've seen how exploitative the ultra rich and corporations will be when opportunity strikes and I think there's more pushback against that than there was before.

This past year has absolutely sucked for pretty much everyone but the ultra rich. But I'd like to believe it has shined a light on a lot of aspects of our society that need serious overhauling.

Restrictions now applied to entire province.

All schools in Halifax closed and moving to online learning.

Fines for violating gathering restrictions now doubled.

Record number of tests being recorded. Over 11000 on Sunday not including rapid testing. Positivity remains low.

I am relieved that they are closing the schools, even if it seems as though the reason is because so many staff are off sick or awaiting results.

This is also the first I've heard about implementing paid provincial sick time and vaccinating prison populations, though I am glad that both are being talked about.

The amount of muttering about fines and enforcement is... I'm not sure if I find it funny or sad.

Ooof, I'm not loving the lack of definition around "community" - "you know what your community is" yuck. I understand what he's getting at, and I appreciate the appeal to common sense, but oof.

I really wish that they would open up vaccines to at-risk groups, but I understand the consistent age-based approach. I hate it, because if they went by chronic illness levels, I would have been fully vaccinated by now!

I’m glad they’re being closed as well. Mask compliance hasn’t been great at our local high school and my request to remove my oldest from gym class was met with douchiness.