Coronavirus Thread

The J&J vaccine only needed one shot, but was slightly less effective, so it was used mainly for "hard to reach" groups like the homeless, sailors, etc.
Now, it turns out protection drops to approximately 13% after 6 months, so everyone who got it now gets to get a booster shot of one of the mRNA vaccines. Good luck finding those people again!

And Belgian politics has now agreed that we're all getting a third booster shot - but which one, when, and how, nobody knows. There's no scientific proof for the need quite yet, but that'll be easily found, no doubt.
In other words, we're approaching the point where it's endemic and we'll all be forced to get yearly shots. Yippy.

Reactions: Cat
we're approaching the point where it's endemic
I think you might be a little behind on the timeline... that ship had sailed when 6 months passed after the 1st round of vaccinations and the vac rates where way too low to actually stop the spread. And even if your country had the right vac rates, the fact that way more countries didn't screws you anyway.

Can't wait for Wave 5 over here...

Boosters were just approved for my age group in my state and I'll get one asap. At home with a sore throat that probably isn't covid but I am in a high risk area and damn it scared me a little

I mean that’s nice but I would prefer it being socially acceptable to wear a mask without having to deal with a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Reactions: Cat
So, you guys ready for version B.1.1.529?
As infectious as Delta, as good against vaccines as Beta, and already spread to at least a dozen countries.
Hurray!

So, you guys ready for version B.1.1.529?
As infectious as Delta, as good against vaccines as Beta, and already spread to at least a dozen countries.
Hurray!
Psh. That won't work. B.1.1.529 isn't a marketable name. It doesn't have the same ring as "Delta variant."

Sorry, but I'll have to ask B.1.1.529 to back off until someone comes up with a name that sounds and looks better in headlines.

Psh. That won't work. B.1.1.529 isn't a marketable name. It doesn't have the same ring as "Delta variant."

Sorry, but I'll have to ask B.1.1.529 to back off until someone comes up with a name that sounds and looks better in headlines.
All variants are first named like that, then the variations "of interest" get one of the Greek letters (delta was originally B.1.617.2 ). I'm not entirely sure, but i think we're up to Omicron now? The Omicron Variant sounds good to me, could be a Dan Brown novel.

Oh, sure, it's here, too.

Let's wait and see, though. So far, the numbers seem to say it's far more infectious and can evade vaccination, BUT doesn't lead to any very heavy symptoms - mostly fatigue and headaches...which I get just fine without any virus, too. If we've stumbled upon a variation that can start to dominate and is less deadly, hey, win.

The friend I convinced to get her first shot is still set on coming over tomorrow so I can take her for her 2nd. I feel mighty good about myself for that. Especially since lots of folks in Texas seem to be getting one shot and nope-ing out of the 2nd.

Li'l Z got his 2nd shot yesterday, so now the whole house is fully vaccinated. (Mr. Z and I already got our boosters.) Going to be breathing a lot easier this Christmas.
My sister-in-law and her household (who live about 8mi away) caught COVID last week, and she works in healthcare so was fully vaxxed.
My father-in-law goes over to eat with them once every week (though not last week, obviously).
Our son (the last non-vaxxed person in our household) gets his second dose next week.
Hurry up, please...

--Patrick

Li'l Z got his 2nd shot yesterday, so now the whole house is fully vaccinated. (Mr. Z and I already got our boosters.) Going to be breathing a lot easier this Christmas.

(Pun intended?)
Same here. Both boys got their second shot yesterday. Only the three year old is unvaxxed now.

I had at least two, possibly three students on my morning routes out on the 10-day "suspension" list.

Trying to tell my HS students they might want to wear masks = futility.

I had at least two, possibly three students on my morning routes out on the 10-day "suspension" list.

Trying to tell my HS students they might want to wear masks = futility.
"My mom says you can't make me because it violates my rights!" :rolleyes:

Calgary cop, claiming he paid the ultimate price for refusing vaccination.

I laughed so hard at this crying loser.

Our numbers are still going strong, just the wrong way.
So the government has again set some new guidelines and some new mandates etc.
And of course, since doing what experts suggest would make you look weak for not deciding yourself, and overly aggressive because those measures would have a serious impact, nooooo, we'll work out some sort of ridicuolous in-between compromise.

Schools are staying open, but masks are now compulsory for all children 6 years old and up - all day, in and outside.
....Look, is there anyone who has ever handled a small child who thinks this is useful? It was already mandatory 10 and up, so now it's adding the 6-9 year olds. Yeah, because six-year-olds are capable of understanding mask rules and handling them properly and all that. It's not that I think this is "sad" for children or "stealing their freedom" or whatever BS. I just think you'll end up with a whole lot of kids wearing masks even worse than the adults, wiping them with their hands, taking them off and putting them on, stufing them in lunchboxes, etc etc etc. I doubt it'll actually do anything beyond a placebo effect, making parents and teachers complain, and doctors as well. Ugh

They're also "promising" there won't be any further social restrictions imposed on Christmas or new Year's. Yeah, sure. We'll all make plans for big 20-people parties, why not? Let's all act surprised when in two weeks' time they'll say "regrettably, due to the hospitals still buckling, and the rise in Omicron cases, we'll have to....". Idiots.

Maybe it's just us, or maybe it's coincidence, but with the mask wearing and hand washing reminders, we've gotten less colds and minor viruses than in years past. Kids are germ farms, but I have noticed we're harvesting less of them, so yay?

Maybe it's just us, or maybe it's coincidence, but with the mask wearing and hand washing reminders, we've gotten less colds and minor viruses than in years past. Kids are germ farms, but I have noticed we're harvesting less of them, so yay?
Definitely. I haven't had a serious cold or throatache in almost two years now. Amazing what happens when people actually cover their mouths when coughing/sneezing and keep a distance when they're sick.