Dave's House of Pain

It's like Peyton Manning played on the defense, too.
Chris Collinsworth was trying to say that Peyton's absence was the cause of the defensive problems as well. His argument was something along the lines of how the offensive problems disrupt the defense's rhythm, and that the whole defense is designed to stop teams playing desperately and from behind (due to all the Colt scoring that Manning would produce).

I don't buy any of that. They look old, tired, and clueless. I think for years Manning's ridiculous talent has been covering up gigantic holes in that team, and this year those flaws couldn't be ignored any longer. If Manning were playing this team is 4-3 at best. They would be losing games 45-38 instead of 45-7, that's all.

Dave

Staff member
Actually I think it has more to do with the fact that the offense would be on the field for long periods of time and the defense wouldn't get so damned tired. Also, being pounded into the dirt has a demoralizing effect that causes you to play worse while being in a close, exciting game pumps the adrenaline and keeps your energy up.

So he does have an effect on the defense...

I still say that they would be losing because the defense is terrible. The margin would just be closer.

Shannow

Staff member
Just logged in...huh...4-3. Wow, figured I would be worse. When I missed the draft completely, I figured you would have booted my team. Fuck it, guwess I will see what I can salvage for the rest of the year.

This was gonna be the week that I was gonna have problems, because it was AR12's bye week.

And yet, in two of the three Yahoo leagues I'm in, I'm leading going into Monday Night.

And - if the cards fall right - I may very well be atop the standings in the HOP.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, yeah, laugh it up. All I have to do is make the playoffs. And I would like my wife to, but she's not doing too well.

I'm just as surprised as you are. I don't know WTF happened, I had just hoped not to have the biggest blowout for the week.

Dave

Staff member
What happened was bye weeks and injuries. I had a backup as one of my main RBs. Add in that the players I had going were shut down (Dallas, New Orleans, Indy) and you have a recipe for a bad, bad week. And I thought my wife was doing poorly and she's in 4th place right behind me!! Yipes!

I'm a bit disappointed this week. Only 52 points between A-Rod, Megatron and Kevin Smith. At least Johnson got that last-second "gimme" touchdown to get his point totals into the double-digits.

The Llamas will go dow-uhn, and go dow-uhn hod this week.

Looks like all three came in under their predictions, and those predictions basically had us tied. Meanwhile, Carson Palmer's prediction is ridiculously low. And that Arian Foster/Darren Sproles combo hasn't let me down yet.

I will crush you, is what I'm saying. :awesome:

You know, I was wrong. I thought Carson Palmer would have a huge game, and although he did well, he wasn't completely underestimated the way I thought he was. An even bigger problem was all the injuries to Raiders receivers. Clearly he wasn't going to get me a win this week...

...which is why I switched to Vince Young.
:awesome:

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, I switched out Johnny Knox for Garcon. THAT worked out well. Now I'll be fighting for a playoff spot. Thanks, Charlie, ya bastard!

Great. The week I go up against the undefeated team at the top of the standings - and possibly even with the top spot in the league at stake - Aaron Rodgers has a (relatively) crappy game, and I'm down by two touches.

Dave

Staff member
I am in 5 leagues. In 4 of them this week I played AGAINST Drew Brees. In 3 of them his insane scoring is the only reason I lost. In this league I HAVE Drew Brees but because they allowed Manning so many garbage points I lost.

It was not a good week for Dave in Fantasy Football.

This week I should clinch the #1 seed in my work/money league (and a $50 bonus!). I'm playing the worst team in the league, which is just inexplicably bad. It's not someone that's a homer or someone that doesn't know about football. It's a two-time champ that is pretty hardcore into football! But his draft was just dogshit, and every free agent move has gone ridiculously bad for him. It's kind of sad! But I should win easy. Even if I lose, the second place person has to make up ~125 points on me to take first, so it's all over but the cryin'. Now I'm eyeing the ~$1k first place :D

Dave

Staff member
In one of my other leagues Eli Manning outscored Drew Brees last night. Which is bullshit. 1 point per 25 passing yards, 4 points for passing TDs, 6 points for rushing TDs. There's a 10 POINT BONUS for a 300 yard passing game and ANOTHER 15 POINTS for 400. Eli going to 406 while Brees only threw for 369 meant that Eli got the additional 15 points and scored more even though Brees had 4 passing and 1 rushing TD. I had neither player but I complained to the Commish that the scoring was seriously flawed.

Dave

Staff member
When throwing an additional 31 yards for Brees = 3.75 additional touchdowns, shit's broken.

B

BErt

All scores should be fractional, the 300th yard shouldn't be worth more than the 294th yard.
I like either method of scoring, but as was said the bonuses need to be boosts to a good score, not game changing themselves. I saw one league a few years back that gave 25 points for a safety. Some people just like to see huge numbers; it can get ridiculous.

I've always like the basic Yahoo model: 20 yards rushing/receiving = 1 point, 50 yards passing = 1 point, 6 for any TD, -2 for fumbles lost. No bonuses. The points per yard give enough of a bonus for players who racked up a lot of yards, but never saw the end zone (which would make fullbacks more valuable than RB's and WR's).

Personally I try to stay in PPR league only. Otherwise WR's have this horrible feast-or-famine thing going on. I hate the idea that a player who makes 5+ catches for 50+ yards will be outshined by someone who catches one pass in the endzone.

Dave

Staff member
So this week the top 5 teams all won. Llamas are in no matter what now. Still in contention are Merrill Bluejays and A Girl Beat Ya (my fricking wife!) both at 9-4. Trying to get the last spot at 8-5 are Fumbling Morons (me) and the Earth Wanderers. One week left. In the last week, Merrill plays Earth Wanderers, A Girl Beat Ya plays the worst team in the league - Giants Waste of Time - and I get to play the #1 team - Cranky Llamas.

Let's go through some scenarios.

For me to get in: I have to win. If Llamas win, this almost takes me out of the picture. I'd only get in with a Merrill win over Wanderers. If the Wanderers won they would get the #4 seed and play the Llamas in the first week of the playoffs. Of course, if I lose and Merrill wins, I'm the 4th seed...and get to play the Llamas a second week in a row and the third time this season.

For Earth Wanderers to get in: He has to win and I have to lose. Only way as I have more points than he does. Totally possible, by the way.

As to the rest, Merrill is in no matter what - it's just a matter of where. But if Earth Wanderers win, I win and A Girl Beat Ya loses...there would be a 4-way tie for second place with 4 teams at 9-5. If that happens, the lowest scoring team would be out and Earth Wanderers and A Girl Beat Ya are only 18 points different with Earth Wanderers having the advantage.

It's going down to the wire, folks!