DDO going Free!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played for about 30minutes, could not stand the way players and npcs "glide/slide" around.

Did however love the opening instance with the "DM" talking to you as if you were in a real D&D session though.
He actually does that in every instance, if something interesting happens.

Played for about 30minutes, could not stand the way players and npcs "glide/slide" around.

Did however love the opening instance with the "DM" talking to you as if you were in a real D&D session though.
He actually does that in every instance, if something interesting happens.[/QUOTE]

The game interests me on a whole. Though graphics are leaving much to be desired, and the player/npc animations are pretty weak. Also, I don't have a very strong standing knowledge of the D&D rules so I feel a bit "lost" in all the stats/feats/talents etc.

just played through the first 3 quests with Shannow, his roomie, and ashburner on all the difficulty modes...was a blast. Wiped a few times on Cannith Crystal on Elite as level 1, rank 1 newbs, but after we each got a couple ranks doing the others, we came back and it wasn't much of a challenge.

Now, I guess I gotta get voice up and going.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

oh, and I've created the uninspired-named guild, Halforums

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

So wait, it's not solo friendly at all? :eek:rly:
When your picking a build (if you take a generic build) it says how solo friendly it will be.

I made Dwarf Fighter named Grablox, but I'm probably going to be making something else. There are locked doors everywhere, so I'm ether making a Rogue, Wizard, Or Sorcerer. I fucking hate being unable to do quest objectives because my character can't do utility stuff. Damnit, why can't I just roll an Expert? :(

EDIT: Maybe we should all just try to get together sometime this weekend or next week, role up some new characters, and just play from there.[/QUOTE]

at least on the first island, all locked doors are optional (lead to a chest). If you find a locked door that blocks quest objectives, there's a key or lever somewhere in the dungeon.

He actually does that in every instance, if something interesting happens.[/QUOTE]

The game interests me on a whole. Though graphics are leaving much to be desired, and the player/npc animations are pretty weak. Also, I don't have a very strong standing knowledge of the D&D rules so I feel a bit "lost" in all the stats/feats/talents etc.[/QUOTE]

It's actually fairly simple once you get into it, as there aren't any Prestige Classes to take (though you can take more than one core class later). You can always stick to one of the generic builds until you get more familiar with the system, as you can stop leveling along the build at anytime. They aren't bad builds ether, if not optimized.

Shannow

Staff member
Definitely can this this as a fun of-wow game to play with folks. Need to get more abilities and learn the system a bit more, but It has possibilities.

BOOM! ToughActin Tinactin!

I can't have DDO and this forum open at the same time (long story) so can you please friend Silbeth and shoot me a message when I'm on? Or in-game mail, if that's doable.

Is there a way to make the UI less clunky? Playing a healing cleric is irritating the heck out of me.

It works fine for me. Besides, you really don't get a whole lot of mana to cast spells in this game... your going to be burning through it pretty quick as a healer.

Well, I'm enjoying it. I have next to no idea what I'm doing (Cuyval was helpful with explanations) so I'm just picking what seems good until I know better how to play. I took one level of rogue on my ranger just so I could throw points into lockpicking. I've been doing most of the dungeons on solo but normal isn't too bad either.

Yeah, it's not beautifully polished, visually, but that's not a major concern for me. I really like the variety of the dungeons (the floor puzzle was especially fun) and the fact that you can actually use battle tactics to your advantage.

In this game, do they still charge you double for a cross class skill, if one of your classes has it as a class skill? I.E. If I wanted lock picking, would I only get full price for points on levels I raise it as a rogue?

K

kevin91

I thought we only had 2 clerics (including me) I'll make a bard.

Edit: Kjorin the Bard has been created!

Regardless, we could use more support or direct damage. Or a Monk/Favored Soul if you want to roll one of those up. We just need more diversity.

Alright, finally finished the stuff on Korthos, so I'm ready to start doing stuff in Storm Reach. Except the "Don't kill Kobolds while you run through their big ass base to steal a gem and THEN kill them" because that mission fucking sucks unless you can cast Invisibility or stealth it.

Shannow

Staff member
drinking and football now. waiting for giants game. ill try to hop on tonight to finish off the town storyline

We seem to have a glut of clerics at the moment... anybody interested in rolling an Arcane caster, Bard, or Monk?
I was interested in making a wizard but, I'm having trouble getting into the flow of the game. I'll give it another shot tonight.[/QUOTE]

If you have anything specific you want info on, you can ask here or in a PM. I'll do what I can to help out.

C

Cuyval Dar

I might make a bard again, or maybe a wizard. bard was kinda boring, but it did have its good points.

In this game, do they still charge you double for a cross class skill, if one of your classes has it as a class skill? I.E. If I wanted lock picking, would I only get full price for points on levels I raise it as a rogue?
Yeah, I believe that's the case. Ranger got lockpicking for free (1 point = 1 point) but they tell you when you're assigning points about the cross-class penalty.

Dave

Staff member
I can pick locks already. Being a rogue rocks. Sneaking up on guys and attacking for x2 damage rules.

anyone can multiclass, too..next time you level, just choose a new trainer to go to. So if you're soloing and hate passing by locks, take ranger or rogue and pick some lockpicking and disable device points.

anyone can multiclass, too..next time you level, just choose a new trainer to go to. So if you're soloing and hate passing by locks, take ranger or rogue and pick some lockpicking and disable device points.
That was exactly my thought. And since I don't intend to seriously multiclass, just lockpick, Cuyval advised me to do it early on. Now my question is, I know I won't be able to lockpick as well as a rogue unless I put more levels than I want into it, but how many points is "good enough," especially at lower levels? I trained one rogue level and put all five points into it but would be willing to train one more if I should.

it mostly depends on lock DC (difficulty class)..i don't know how high DCs go in this game.

In pen and paper AD&D, a standard difficulty lock would be about 10 DC, 15 for hard, and 20 for very tough. You'd roll a 20-sided die and add your Open locks points (skill + dex bonus). So, if you had 5 points of Open Lock and got, say +2 dex bonus, you'd have 7 in your open locks skill. You'd only have to roll a 3 on a d20 to open most average locks. That's about an 85% success rate.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the online game will have locks with DCs in those ranges.

Thanks, that's helpful. Well, I only just hit 2, so I guess I'll just wait and see if more points will be required.

I love the outdoor instances, which was something I enjoyed in Guild Wars too. So nice to be able to adventure without fighting over resources with people, and I like the little mini-XP awards for exploring and killing stuff.

C

Cuyval Dar

This game still confuses me to no end, doesn't help I never played D&D to begin with.
I'm having fun playing, but I do have a few questions.

The NPCs told me to go for chain mail and a mace.. I'm a Cleric Healer, I don't get it. I have armor with say 20% spell failure rating. I'm guessing that means I 'fizzle' my spells more often? Should I go for cloth or leather instead at the expensive of armor rating?

I swing a mace and I miss... a lot.. like 2 out of 10 swings I hit the mob with for 1-4 pts. Is this normal? Am I just too much of a noob still to get any proper hit rating?

I also have a wand thingee but that thing only has 50 charges and only seems to recharge once I *exit* the dungeon so I don't use it a lot. Am I doing it wrong? I didn't pick a melee class so why am I swinging a mace in chain mail?

I'm level 1 of 4 (rank 4), I wish I knew what that meant. Why are their ranks? What do they mean?

How the hell do you finish The Collaborator? I died in 10 seconds flat.

Right now I have like 25 platinum, is that a good amount? The tooltip says 10 of each makes 1 of the other. While that seems logical, it does not appear to make any sense at all when I look at my inventory. if 10 copper = 1 silver then why do I clearly have 1,000+ coppers alongside the silvers, gold, and plats?
You get 1 Action Point to use for Enhancements each Rank. Once you have enough Ranks, you progress a level.

This game still confuses me to no end, doesn't help I never played D&D to begin with.
I'm having fun playing, but I do have a few questions.

The NPCs told me to go for chain mail and a mace.. I'm a Cleric Healer, I don't get it. I have armor with say 20% spell failure rating. I'm guessing that means I 'fizzle' my spells more often? Should I go for cloth or leather instead at the expensive of armor rating?

I swing a mace and I miss... a lot.. like 2 out of 10 swings I hit the mob with for 1-4 pts. Is this normal? Am I just too much of a noob still to get any proper hit rating?

I also have a wand thingee but that thing only has 50 charges and only seems to recharge once I *exit* the dungeon so I don't use it a lot. Am I doing it wrong? I didn't pick a melee class so why am I swinging a mace in chain mail?

I'm level 1 of 4 (rank 4), I wish I knew what that meant. Why are their ranks? What do they mean?

How the hell do you finish The Collaborator? I died in 10 seconds flat.

Right now I have like 25 platinum, is that a good amount? The tooltip says 10 of each makes 1 of the other. While that seems logical, it does not appear to make any sense at all when I look at my inventory. if 10 copper = 1 silver then why do I clearly have 1,000+ coppers alongside the silvers, gold, and plats?
You get 1 Action Point to use for Enhancements each Rank. Once you have enough Ranks, you progress a level.[/QUOTE]

Though I tried the trial for DDO about a month ago just before it became f2p I will try to answer the armour question. In D&D heavier armour imposes a Arcane Spell Failiure. Arcane is the key as Clerics use Divine magic so the percent chance should not have effect on your spells.

DDO questions

Does that mean there are only 4 levels? It says 1 of 4...

If I get a point each rank, why did they add it? couldn't they have gone with a level system instead and give an action point each level instead of adding a sublevel?

I'm so not getting this..

Why can't level 2 be level 6? (5 ranks+1)?

------

Most of my questions got answered by Baerdog in IRC. Thanks Baer!

Forgot a question though... The most infuriating one of all..

WHY can I not --left click select-- anything or anyone ?

Sometimes I see my mouse hover over a person and I see all kinds of boxes and options appear on the round thingee on the bottom right. But then as soon as I move the mouse I can't click any of it. Sometimes it'll even say trade.. WTF?

That is seriously confusing..

Haven't grouped yet so I can't really comment on that yet but I dread a lot of heals going the wrong way or self casted when I'm trying to heal someone else. I realize I can use F1-4 but to me that's not really intuitive. I'd rather click on a person (or mob) and then click o the appropriate spell/skill I wanna use.

I haven't figured out if I'm even attackingthe way I'm supposed to lol. Do I really just hover over the target and click spells? But my mouse needs to remain stationary on the target or I'll cast on someone else?

This is really confusing..
First one: The Rank stuff is confusing, especially because it has no basis in D&D at all. Suffice to say, this game uses the exact same leveling mechanic as the pen and paper game, which is why the Ranks and levels don't match up. Ignore the ranks, only focus on levels. The little bubbles to the right of your XP bar will show you how many more ranks you need to level.

Second one: You need to right click on something to make it your target. This will aim your spells at that target, though keep in mind that doesn't mean the enemy can't move out of the way or take cover something. Keep in mind though, that since your a Cleric, you do have some melee chops too. Don't be afraid to whip out your mace and wail on somebody.

Yeah, it's a little easier to play if you've played D&D. Unlike WoW, D&D has about 20 pounds of sourcebooks if you play the pen and paper version, and a lot of what's going on in the game is straight from the pen and paper rules. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Note, I use the standard D&D shortcut for dice notation: d20 = 20 sided die. 3d6 = roll 3 six-sided dice and add them together, etc.

• The NPCs told me to go for chain mail and a mace.. I'm a Cleric Healer, I don't get it. I have armor with say 20% spell failure rating. I'm guessing that means I 'fizzle' my spells more often? Should I go for cloth or leather instead at the expensive of armor rating?
Clerics usually specialize in medium armor and simple weapons. In "old" D&D, clerics couldn't use edged weapons. Though that restriction isn't really in the modern rules, the "chain mail and mace" mindset still lives on.

Magic comes in two classes: Arcane and Divine. Arcane magic requires the mage to move their body in certain ways and speak words of power in order to invoke magic. Heavier armor is also clumsier and can interfere with the perfect performance of spells, causing them to fizzle. Divine magic has no such restrictions, requiring only the prayer to a higher power to be effective. So, your chain mail is fine :)

• I swing a mace and I miss... a lot.. like 2 out of 10 swings I hit the mob with for 1-4 pts. Is this normal? Am I just too much of a noob still to get any proper hit rating?

This is pretty normal. If you had a high strength, you'd hit more often and do more damage. In the pen-and-paper version of the game, Armor Class is derived from how much and what type of armor you are wearing: 10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier. You roll a d20, add your attack bonus (usually from strength), and compare it to your opponent's armor class. Most monsters probably have 12-16 AC right now.

At level 1, your attack bonus based on level is 0. If your strength is 8, you get -1 to that. 0 at 10. +1 at 12, etc.

So, you'll probably be missing 75% or more of the time given the above math. That'll change considerably as you go up in levels, as each "base attack bonus" point you get gives you about a 5% chance better to hit any given target.

By level 20, you'll have a +15 base attack bonus, and should have powerful magic weapons and spells that can add a great deal more to that. It's a different theory than WoW. In Wow, you almost never miss, but do less damage as a level 1. In D&D, your damage doesn't ramp up as you level so much as your ability to hit does.

Maces do 1d6 damage. If you have the "ember" mace from the tutorial, you can get +1 fire damage on top of that. If you didn't change your starting strength from 8, you get -1. Every 2 strength points gives you an additional +1, up to +4 damage at 18 strength.

• I also have a wand thingee but that thing only has 50 charges and only seems to recharge once I *exit* the dungeon so I don't use it a lot. Am I doing it wrong? I didn't pick a melee class so why am I swinging a mace in chain mail?
Most wands don't recharge. If your wand says "eternal", it will recharge once per day. DDO has made it so that when you exit a dungeon, you get all your hp and daily powers back, as if you've rested. This is a change from when I played it a couple months ago. If it's a "finger of flame" wand, it only does 1-3 damage, so I wouldn't use it much. It's practically worthless.

• I'm level 1 of 4 (rank 4), I wish I knew what that meant. Why are their ranks? What do they mean?
You can go up to level 20 in the game. Right now, your level cap is 4, but you can get items to increase it.

Ranks do not exist in the pen and paper game. They're a way to give you "mini levels" between each of the big levels. Each rank gives you some 'action points' you can spend to customize your character a little. These are 'mini feats', that also have no real basis in the game.

However, without these ranks, I think DDO would probably lose a lot of the WoW crowd that is used to getting a level every hour or so of game play. I think they're a good idea.

• How the hell do you finish The Collaborator? I died in 10 seconds flat.
It can be challenging if you're not used to soloing. As a cleric, you should proably have "summon monster I" as a spell. Use it a lot in this quest. It summons a 'celestial dog' which is a pretty powerful ally to help kill enemies and keep them from swarming you. If you're still having trouble, get a hireling, and bring him along. I suggest the barbarian.

• Right now I have like 25 platinum, is that a good amount? The tooltip says 10 of each makes 1 of the other. While that seems logical, it does not appear to make any sense at all when I look at my inventory. if 10 copper = 1 silver then why do I clearly have 1,000+ coppers alongside the silvers, gold, and plats?[/QUOTE]
If you pick up coppers, the game won't auto-convert them to silver. So if you pick up 1000 individual copper pieces, that's how much you'll have. Just be glad that coins have no weight. In pen-and-paper AD&D each coin was roughly 1/10 of pound, so 1000 coppers would be 100 pounds of coinage adding to your encumberance!

25 platinum would be an exhorbitant amount for beginning players in the pen-and-paper game. I'm finding that in the online game, it's not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.