DDO going Free!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost understood most of that Tin. Thanks for the info.

Anyone have a mini guide for Wizard that I can peruse?
Being a Wizard is more about choosing the right spells for everyday use than it is about building your character. As a wizard, your going to want a high INT (Your going to want to max this) and above average Dex and Con. You'll want to focus on feats that improve your spells (usually -blank- Spell) or help you not get hit. Not sure what to get for skills... definitely Concentration to prevent your spells from getting interrupted. Spellcraft was pretty useful in the tabletop... Tumble might be a good option too.

You might also want to look at Sorcerers... they don't vary too greatly from Wizards, but generally have more spell points, but less available spell types. They can also use more types of weapons.

Sorceror's seemed more about fast, quick spells with less "oomph".

Wizard is more "customizable" from what I've read and really can "specialize" which appeals to me most.

Just curious, do spells like "charm humanoid" base off CHA or somethingelse? I really like the thought of a "witch" style Wizard with Charm abilities.

charm spells work well, unless you're in one of those adventures (like cannith crystal) that say "kill X of this creature" and then they only give you exactly X. If you charm one, you can't kill it (though I have read that they recently added a 'remove charm' feat to get past this problem).

Charm doesn't use CHA. It's magic, not a charisma based skill. Your target gets a periodic Will save to break free.

Sorceror's seemed more about fast, quick spells with less "oomph".

Wizard is more "customizable" from what I've read and really can "specialize" which appeals to me most.

Just curious, do spells like "charm humanoid" base off CHA or somethingelse? I really like the thought of a "witch" style Wizard with Charm abilities.
Actually, the 3.0 Dungeon Masters Guide actually used "Witch" as an example of a custom made class. It didn't have any of the overt magics that Wizards and such would use to kill people, instead focusing mainly on charms, divination, and such. It was an interesting concept.

It's also not something you'd probably get invited into a lot of parties with. If your a Wizard, people are going to ether expect utility (Knock for locked doors, buffs and such) or for you to call down the thunder with attack spells. It's the same boat that Clerics are in... the MMO mindset says that Clerics are for healing and Buffing, despite the fact that Clerics are hands down the most versatile class in D&D. About the ONLY thing they can't do is pick a lock.

More about lockpicking. I was doing Sacrifices and was in the big room with the bridges and the cells. There was a lever to open a passage to an optional boss, but it said it was locked. I tried a couple of times and figured my lockpicking wasn't high enough.

Later, I came back and tried it again, and was suddenly able to unlock it. Since I did a bunch of stuff in between, I don't know if I unlocked it during the rest of the quest, or if by continuing to click the lever I kept "rolling" and eventually beat the odds.

If it's the latter I'm just going to click-click-click every lock I can't pick.

The witch idea I had would have been something of a mix between damage and charm. I mean, no point in charming something if you can't kill it after it's done killing it's comrades.

Something like Everquest's enchanter to help with groups. Mezmerizing targets, or holding them in place so that a large group of npcs becomes more manageable for the group etc.

The witch idea I had would have been something of a mix between damage and charm. I mean, no point in charming something if you can't kill it after it's done killing it's comrades.

Something like Everquest's enchanter to help with groups. Mezmerizing targets, or holding them in place so that a large group of npcs becomes more manageable for the group etc.
Hold and Mez are definitely a big part of the Wizard spell list. If you want control, you'll definitely find stuff you'll like.

you can also tab to cycle through enemies you're facing.

That big spider is hard to kill if you stand right there where the frost jets blow on you. Those can kill a level 1 in 1 hit :) Best bet is to draw the spider back down the little waterfall and take him out down there. Then you can time the frost trap and jump up on the platform between blasts.

Created a Cleric, Horat D'Good. I'm level 2 right now, but I figured I should have a couple of options (healer, tank, etc) depending on what the party needs. And since I am still on VIP, I have 10 character slots.

C

Cuyval Dar

Too...many...clerics!
I'm glad I rerolled a Bard now.
:bard: Yeah, Bard smilie!

S

Singularity.EXE

Ed get online, we need a rogue.

We need a vent or something too, this game is bad ass.

Ed get online, we need a rogue.

We need a vent or something too, this game is bad ass.
We did pretty good for duo'ing. :D

I've encountered quite a few traps, is it a good idea to pick up thieves tools and start disabling them? Do I need to train anything to be able to do so?

I still like being a pure healer, though I'm still confused by a few things. :p[/QUOTE]

You need to take a level in Rogue to be able to get the skill to disarm traps. It's a useful skill, but if your becoming a Rogue, it's probably going to be to unlock doors, not disarm traps.

Dave

Staff member
Sorry guys! I was on last night for a while and nobody came in so I made a new toon to play around with. Korden the Warforged Fighter is now almost 3rd level in one night of play! I was kicking everything's ass and the only thing that can touch me is magic. I can stand and scratch my ass while creatures try and beat on me but they can't touch me. I have damage reduction 3/adamantine, 3/cold, 3/slashing and 1/-. I'm pretty sure they don't stack but either way they'd have to hit me with an adamantine/cold/slashing weapon to hit me fully. I'm also immune to disease, poison and I don't breathe so I can swim forever.

I can't open locked doors which pisses me off, but I like the character.

Shannow

Staff member
Sorry guys! I was on last night for a while and nobody came in so I made a new toon to play around with. Korden the Warforged Fighter is now almost 3rd level in one night of play! I was kicking everything's ass and the only thing that can touch me is magic. I can stand and scratch my ass while creatures try and beat on me but they can't touch me. I have damage reduction 3/adamantine, 3/cold, 3/slashing and 1/-. I'm pretty sure they don't stack but either way they'd have to hit me with an adamantine/cold/slashing weapon to hit me fully. I'm also immune to disease, poison and I don't breathe so I can swim forever.

I can't open locked doors which pisses me off, but I like the character.
Sorry aboutt hat. I got to watchiong football, and forgot about the game :/

I was on, but i was leveling my new cleric toon. i made Edrondol an officer in the guild, so he can guild anyone who comes on.

I'm the defacto guild leader, simply because I had the points to start it, but I'd be happy to officer anyone or everyone from here or even hand the guild leadership to someone else, as well. My play time is going to be at sporadic intervals, so I won't always be available to guild everyone or perform much of a real leadership role.

Also, if we all hooked up on the halforums vent server while we were playing, it'd make it easier to locate each other when we are creating new toons

Shannow

Staff member
Yeah, using the HF vent will be the easiest way to go. Hopefully I will have some time tongiht after dinner to play.

S

Singularity.EXE

You don't breath? :confused:

lol

When I was playing with Sin.EXE I realized just how weak I was. He plays a barbarian and omg did he kill stuff fast.. Usually just 1 or 2 chops while I have to wail at it for 20 times. >..>

I play quite a bit but it's still rare to see someone on, of course I'm also eurotrash so that doesn't help either. :/
I seemed to crit a lot as well, which is always sexy when you see a big "49 - Skull" pop up above the monster that was full health a minute ago.

And Ed, that is damn impressive, I'm still learning the game so I'm going to be a bit slower, but I bet we could kick some ass together.

My barbarian by the way is Mahdis Draesdaen, a Savage of the Wild chick.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I'll be on the vent when I get home from work and school tonight. I wasn't aware we had one until just now, or else I would've been in it last night.

But yeah, Ame and I found the Manufactury, but weren't able to complete it since it seems like we need a rogue to unlock some doors.

Spent a good two hours on last night JUST customizing and playing through the first couple of instances. The customization system was ALOT more daunting than I expected and I think I'll probably go through a few encarnations of my "witch" before I'm settled.

On the bright side though, working with "Charm Person" in the instance "Defend the Crystal in Town Hall" was amazing. I'd charm an Acolyte and just mop up the melee npcs. Everytime it broke Charm, I'd just hit it again. I could DEFINITELY get used to this style of play. Though like I said, I have a feeling I may not be doing it right.... Example: I have no freakin clue what "Diplomacy" is supposed to do...

S

Singularity.EXE

Spent a good two hours on last night JUST customizing and playing through the first couple of instances. The customization system was ALOT more daunting than I expected and I think I'll probably go through a few encarnations of my \"witch\" before I'm settled.

On the bright side though, working with \"Charm Person\" in the instance \"Defend the Crystal in Town Hall\" was amazing. I'd charm an Acolyte and just mop up the melee npcs. Everytime it broke Charm, I'd just hit it again. I could DEFINITELY get used to this style of play. Though like I said, I have a feeling I may not be doing it right.... Example: I have no freakin clue what \"Diplomacy\" is supposed to do...
http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Skill:Diplomacy

Looks like it acts as a aggro-reducer. My barbarian has Intimidate which is supposed to be a Taunt, but I don't need no stinking Taunt. Also, my Charisma is like 8.

Spent a good two hours on last night JUST customizing and playing through the first couple of instances. The customization system was ALOT more daunting than I expected and I think I'll probably go through a few encarnations of my "witch" before I'm settled.

On the bright side though, working with "Charm Person" in the instance "Defend the Crystal in Town Hall" was amazing. I'd charm an Acolyte and just mop up the melee npcs. Everytime it broke Charm, I'd just hit it again. I could DEFINITELY get used to this style of play. Though like I said, I have a feeling I may not be doing it right.... Example: I have no freakin clue what "Diplomacy" is supposed to do...
You use diplomacy as a skill to convince mobs to target someone else instead of you. It's the inverse of intimidate, which can actually make mobs target you instead of someone else. I really have no idea if it's valuable or not, but there are definitely better choices at least.

And yeah... I tried sending you a message last night but you didn't respond! *shakes fist*

So it's basically like a "redirect" the monster's agro to say, the tank? As in, worthless if you're solo?

I was thinking it could be used on NPCs or used to have monsters fight each other... See what I mean about needing to remake this character multiple times?

As for the message thing Ash, I'm still getting used to the UI and really don't pay much attention to the chat box as most of it is just idiot spam...

S

Singularity.EXE

So it's basically like a "redirect" the monster's agro to say, the tank? As in, worthless if you're solo?

I was thinking it could be used on NPCs or used to have monsters fight each other... See what I mean about needing to remake this character multiple times?

As for the message thing Ash, I'm still getting used to the UI and really don't pay much attention to the chat box as most of it is just idiot spam...

Well if you're charming monsters and redirecting them, maybe you can use Diplomacy in order to sway them into attacking your pet?

You don't breath? :confused:

lol

When I was playing with Sin.EXE I realized just how weak I was. He plays a barbarian and omg did he kill stuff fast.. Usually just 1 or 2 chops while I have to wail at it for 20 times. >..>

I play quite a bit but it's still rare to see someone on, of course I'm also eurotrash so that doesn't help either. :/
I seemed to crit a lot as well, which is always sexy when you see a big "49 - Skull" pop up above the monster that was full health a minute ago.

And Ed, that is damn impressive, I'm still learning the game so I'm going to be a bit slower, but I bet we could kick some ass together.

My barbarian by the way is Mahdis Draesdaen, a Savage of the Wild chick.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I'll be on the vent when I get home from work and school tonight. I wasn't aware we had one until just now, or else I would've been in it last night.

But yeah, Ame and I found the Manufactury, but weren't able to complete it since it seems like we need a rogue to unlock some doors.[/QUOTE]

Turn the valve in the rest area. That will unlock the crystal door. No rogue needed on this level unless you want at the nice chest in a cage near there.

Generally speaking, you only need rogues (or Arcane casters with Knock) to get to bonus chests and to finish secondary objectives. I've never seen a mission that REQUIRED a Rogue to complete it.

Dave

Staff member
None.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Or at least I don't think so. My son said it was really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.