[Gaming] Dead Island : Awesomeness has arrived (shitty release though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get too excited... I haven't joined any games yet. I just keep getting the notifications. I have been getting them since Day 1.

Seems 1.2 patch just rolled out, details still coming.

That's 3 official patches in the first 4 days. All patches are over 60 megs.

On a side note, I hope one of these patches fixes my headset problem. My Megalodon will not work at all. The moment I boot up DI I get screeching static.

If you are playing the PC version of Dead Island, the patch that was recently released for the game has a nasty side effect - it makes your saved games unplayable. Deep Silver said they tried every avenue to avoid this, but it simply wasn't possible. Instead there is a small work around available. While you won't get your weapons and items - you can retain your story progress.

When the game opens, select New Game -> Select the same character as you were using before, and then there will be an option for "Chapter Select" which will allow the player to jump to the last chapter they were playing in.​
Future patches shouldn't cause an issue. The console patches for the game will not wipe any save progress - they are currently in certification on the 360 and PS3 and should be released shortly.
In other Dead Island news a brand new iPhone App is available which showcases all of the game's hidden locations and items like IDs, Facts, and other goodies. The app even lets you track your progress (manually sadly) as you collect them so you know what you might be missing! If you do pick it up, be sure to share the info with your friends in true co-op fashion!
You can snag it right here for the iPhone or iPad for $2.99.

Off Facebook, this just updated :

The fight for survival in Dead Island will continue with the Bloodbath Arena DLC in late September!

As stated in the pre-order docs included in the Special Edition, codes for this additional content will not be valid before the DLC is released at the end of September. Bloodbath Arena will also be made available for purchase at that time.

DLC Features-
New weapon: The brain wave bomb
Build up XP and loot items to bring into your campaign
Four deadly and hazardous areas.
Endless waves of zombies
Added at: 13:40
Thank god I haven't really played the game at all beyond smacking zombies on the beach.

This is really one of the worst game launches I've seen.

Hey, at least you're not like some guy right now who are posting on Steam 20+ levels in and stuck on the beach with no weapons with only flimsy paddles and kicks to fend off LVL 20 zombies coming at them.

Patch was 72 MB.

MP is still not working.

Definitely hardware issue.

I totally understand, but I had some awesome brass knuckles I had for knocking zombies over and a beautiful little wrench for popping thier skulls open.

Oh well, on the bright side I get to keep my Purna who already has the +150xp bonus to kills. Almost to my +1 rare loot bonus....

I totally understand, but I had some awesome brass knuckles I had for knocking zombies over and a beautiful little wrench for popping thier skulls open.

Oh well, on the bright side I get to keep my Purna who already has the +150xp bonus to kills. Almost to my +1 rare loot bonus....
Yeah, that XP bonus is great. +150% xp a kill? So broken.

I don't know why anyone would be anyone but Purna. Red neck cowboy, Phil Lamarr doing a terrible Nahlins accent and a character who I wouldn't be surprised asks for flied lice at some point are not great alternatives.

But at LVL 50 can you respec? If not, you wasted those points...
Added at: 14:58
I really hope they fix all of this before the weekend. Their due date is Friday Night as Steam doesn't accept anything over the weekends, Techland would most likely release some kind of patch before Steam closes shop.

I hope.

Isn't this the game where there is a stat or something for a female character that does more damage to men, and the developers called it in the code "FeministWhore+1"?

I don't know why anyone would be anyone but Purna. Red neck cowboy, Phil Lamarr doing a terrible Nahlins accent and a character who I wouldn't be surprised asks for flied lice at some point are not great alternatives.
Because of the spec builds, not necessarily the character choice. Though you are right, Purna is also my favorite storyline character.

As for the RESPEC? Oh I know they BETTER have a respec option because that'd be ridiculous to lock someone in to.

I'm really hating this bullshit repair system. Not that I have to repair my weapons, per-say, they break so fucking quickly. One swing and my bat/saw combo is down 1/8.

This has gotta be a bug. I needed to find a gun in some guy's house... but the location wasn't indicated. So after I locate the only house I haven't been in yet, I go inside and... everything turns foggy and I'm getting slightly damaged. House isn't on fire or anything and even if it was, the Thug inside wasn't getting damaged.

All in all a very strange event.

@ Mathias: The repair system, in my opinon, adds to the suspense and thrill of the game. "Oh shit I just took out that small horde and a huge Thug but most of my weapons are now splintered worthless pieces of wood.... I have to get across the beach with nothing but what I can scavange up from here on out." Now suddenly that worthless plank you passed on your way through the beach, is your only means of survival back. It's an awesome way to make everything valuable. As for your durability sucking on your modified/special weapons? There's talents that increase their durability specifically. So you don't have to feel that your awesome creations are as flimsy as the stuff you find/pick up.

@Math242: It's well worth the money despite it's few glitches and the multiplayer issue the game was having. This game is everything it said it would be and more.

@The previous scare of losing all your items upon login? My Purna-Kigo has all her previous weapons the moment she logged in, nothing lost.

Reactions: Jay
C

Chibibar

@ Mathias: The repair system, in my opinon, adds to the suspense and thrill of the game. "Oh shit I just took out that small horde and a huge Thug but most of my weapons are now splintered worthless pieces of wood.... I have to get across the beach with nothing but what I can scavange up from here on out." Now suddenly that worthless plank you passed on your way through the beach, is your only means of survival back. It's an awesome way to make everything valuable. As for your durability sucking on your modified/special weapons? There's talents that increase their durability specifically. So you don't have to feel that your awesome creations are as flimsy as the stuff you find/pick up.

@Math242: It's well worth the money despite it's few glitches and the multiplayer issue the game was having. This game is everything it said it would be and more.

@The previous scare of losing all your items upon login? My Purna-Kigo has all her previous weapons the moment she logged in, nothing lost.
that is what I like about the system. While L4D series is awesome with nearly unlimited ammo and weapon never breaks, Dead Island can be a bit more suspenseful since you have to pick your battle, your weapon and situation. You can't go gung ho ALL the time or you will be without a weapon REAL quick which add a whole different element to the game.

Playing it for hours with my friends last night.

Hard to wake up to go to work this morning...

OK so, when my husband and our friend heard it was like Borderlands they both kind of went "Ew" because they weren't huge fans... Does this game improve on the Borderlands concept or is it really essentially Borderlands with zombies on a tropical island paradise?

It has some core gameplay elements like Borderlands (XP/Upgrade system, finding weapons and modifying them with spare parts) but it digs deeper and really does more with it I think. IE: The crafting system is pretty much scraps + base item = bigger badder item with a few more stats.

I guess the question is, what didn't you like about Borderlands that you were afraid is in Dead Island?

Tonight was a great night of bloodbaths.

The game was smooth, glitchless, played for hours with a STEAM friend on MP and it was twice as awesome. Sadly my headset is still not working properlly with the game but jeeze is it good fun for hours on end.

I just picked this up today. I've only managed to log maybe 30 minutes, but whoa shit this game is fun! That island is so pretty... I kinda want to go there.

Who do your voodoo, bitch?

I guess the question is, what didn't you like about Borderlands that you were afraid is in Dead Island?
Response to this question from hubby: It felt like an MMO without the MM, because you killed the same shit all the time. (I didn't play Borderlands, so I have no idea!)

With as stubborn and pigheaded as he gets about trying new things, Think I'm still waiting for TL2 for a new co-op game :mad:

Response to this question from hubby: It felt like an MMO without the MM, because you killed the same shit all the time. (I didn't play Borderlands, so I have no idea!)

With as stubborn and pigheaded as he gets about trying new things, Think I'm still waiting for TL2 for a new co-op game :mad:
Well, you might want to warn him that you spend a lot of time fighting zombies in this game.

I'm not going to say there's a lot of walking dead on that island... but there's a LOT of walking dead on that island. You'd almost think it the major theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.