[Gaming] Dead Island : Awesomeness has arrived (shitty release though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Send me a PM with your detail info Frankie, I'll send you with mine. I'll have everything setup for you in a few hours.

fade

Staff member
The simplest reason is just because the coding for each console is entirely different and could have weird interactions with each other. This can be remedied by having a server with software that can understand these different versions of the code and can then translate them into something that works, but then you need to have a server that's running 24/7... and who has to pay for that? If it's the company that made the game, you'd better expect a subscription fee.
Bah. They solved this problem at low levels like 40 years ago. All they need is a common transport protocol, with the game code itself encapsulated.

Bah. They solved this problem at low levels like 40 years ago. All they need is a common transport protocol, with the game code itself encapsulated.
Sounds good in theory, doesn't work in practice as a lot of the code running on consoles is optimized for specific architectures. PS3 has the Cell processor with 6 of 8 SPEs set aside for processing versus the Xbox 360's tricore Xenon. Had the hardware been more similar, your suggestion probably would have worked - but then there wouldn't have been a 'competitive advantage' on either side.

fade

Staff member
That's fine, but we're not talking about game code, only data. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Vastly different machines communicate with each other using completely different software over protocols like TCP/IP all the time. None of the machine specifics should matter. Now if you said "porting the code was hard", that has to do with Cell processors and Xenons. Making console and PC versions communicate is an entirely different story, that should have nothing to do with machine architecture. Even at the game code level, higher level functions like "what is game instance Z doing right now" should have nothing to do with CPUs or hardware, and existing APIs for communication should exist for all platforms already, completely taking it out of the porter's hands. It's not just theory--it's commonplace I would argue.

That's fine, but we're not talking about game code, only data. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Vastly different machines communicate with each other using completely different software over protocols like TCP/IP all the time. None of the machine specifics should matter. Now if you said "porting the code was hard", that has to do with Cell processors and Xenons. Making console and PC versions communicate is an entirely different story, that should have nothing to do with machine architecture. Even at the game code level, higher level functions like "what is game instance Z doing right now" should have nothing to do with CPUs or hardware, and existing APIs for communication should exist for all platforms already, completely taking it out of the porter's hands. It's not just theory--it's commonplace I would argue.
I guess I misunderstood what you were getting at. It's how the consoles (And the operating systems) handle the data that causes the issue, not the actual data being sent back and forth. Reference Ping of Death for an example on how communication stacks can cause faults that aren't easily addressed.

Pre-loaded and ready to slay!

Ridiculous that I'll be at work during release. :mad:
I know the feeling. I may have to wait till like 5-6 PM to pick up my copy. Fuck you, Franklin County Common Pleas Court.

I've watched a few gameplay vids and I think they changed their minds about the guns. Yeah, you don't find them all the time but looters almost always use guns (crap ones though). This has the effect of maxing out your ammo pretty quickly. Your pool tends to be small, but it's enough that you'll always have bullets if you want them. Melee does seem to have the advantage of taking things out quickly by lobbing off heads though... so maybe it's balanced?

I don't plan to really start playing it until tomorrow night after work.

My coop team is almost ready to go. :)

Steam releases it at 12. Gonna check things out tonight a bit before bed. The slaughter begins tomorrow after work!

I would stay and play, however I know myself, I'll end up with barely 3hrs left before work and still be playing if I start....

Stayed up and played anyway. 20 minutes in and I'm freaking loving it so far.

As for Mathias, flinging things everywhere would become a grief tactic so fast it wouldn't be funny. :confused:

Played it about 3 hours with my friend. It's awesome.... not perfect but... so enjoyable. :)

Love that you don't have to drag dumbass AI with you if no one is playing them like in L4D.

C

Chibibar

I won't be able to play until later this evening. Gonna fire it up with the wifey and my best friends.

Someone is gonna get shot in the back I know it!

I am very happy about that too Jay, no idiotic AI weighing you down and causing you to be completely unable to compelte a map without their assistance. Today's workday is going to DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG.

I'm very busy so it'll go fast, I can't wait for go time tonight. The map is HUUUUUGE.

Pat and I found a truck and took a drive. Ran over zombies, threw boxes at them. It's an awesome game really. Combat is FUN.

Just got to get used to that radial/equip menu a bit.

Purna makes my lady parts all tingly.

Firearms expert, ex-hard cop, merc/body guard for hire with a kick your ass attitude, with an amazing accent and beautiful mocha skin? I swooned.

fade

Staff member
Honestly, is this something that someone without a lot of experience with non-MMORPG online gaming could get into without being creamed into boredom by highly experienced players? I'd like to play, but every time I try one of these I get killed so quickly and so often, it's not fun. Like playing original MK with someone who just sweeps the leg over and over.

C

Chibibar

Honestly, is this something that someone without a lot of experience with non-MMORPG online gaming could get into without being creamed into boredom by highly experienced players? I'd like to play, but every time I try one of these I get killed so quickly and so often, it's not fun. Like playing original MK with someone who just sweeps the leg over and over.
The game allow you to co-op (internet play) or solo. It is like L4D type with stories and skill system (plus wear and tear on your items and LIMITED ammo)

fade

Staff member
Well that answers that then. I just assumed it was some kind of run-amok-and-shoot-everything that moves thing with zombies. I'll just look it up. Far be it from me to ask questions about something I'm not familiar with.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Assume I will never play this online with anyone, and that I enjoyed Resident Evil 4 and Dead Rising, but not Left 4 Dead. Will I enjoy this game?

C

Chibibar

Assume I will never play this online with anyone, and that I enjoyed Resident Evil 4 and Dead Rising, but not Left 4 Dead. Will I enjoy this game?
From what shego said, Yes. There is a single player option where you worry about YOURSELF. Even in "single" player mode in L4D, you carry AI which are well... pretty stupid (even dead rising hehe)

I was only able to play for a few minutes last night, but I was by myself and dug it a great deal.

I'd assume Dead Island can be played solo.

Boring as that may sound. Played 3 hours of coop with 1 friend. We were having a great time, and coop beatdowns on zombies NEVER GET OLD.
Added at: 14:33
Announcement :

We deeply regret that an incorrect version of Dead Island was inadvertently made available to players on Steam launch in North America.

We are very sorry for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game - the correct, patched version will be made available to North American players ASAP.

Other territories are not affected by this situation, the fully patched game will be available on Friday as announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.