Did someone order tacos?

figmentPez

Staff member
Of course, but the arrangement is literally one of the most important things in food definition. This is getting into "hot dog is a sandwich" (great podcast) territory, but 99% of mexican food is just corn in different configurations, doesn't mean a tostada is the same as a tortilla.

Or are you gonna tell me a New Yorker isn't gonna spit in my face if I tell him Chicago style pizza is the same as new york pizza, just thicker?
Hey, you're the one who is saying that an American-style fried taco shell is the same thing as a tostada, despite the shapes being radically different.

What I learned recently is that the most egregious thing about pizza in Chicago is not the deep dish.... people from Chicago don't eat deep dish on a regular basis, it's more of a tourist or special occasion thing.

But what they DO eat regularly, like when they order a pizza to their home, is they're usually CUT IN SQUARES NOT TRIANGLES

LIKE IT'S A KIDS' BIRTHDAY PARTY OR SOMETHING

THE CRUST TO CHEESE RATIO IS ALL FUCKED IN CHICAGO, ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYONE, NO WONDER IT'S INFAMOUS FOR VIOLENCE EVERYONE IS FIGHTING OVER THE BEST PIZZA SQUARE
View attachment 42134
Oh yeah Chicagoans love to bring up how deep dish isn’t that common and real chicago style pizza is tavern style. When I was visiting my uncle there he said we were having Chicago pizza for dinner and that’s what he got us and let me tell you, when you think you’re getting deep dish pizza and instead you get a cracker with a one micron thick layer of cheese on it, it’s incredibly disappointing.

Oh yeah Chicagoans love to bring up how deep dish isn’t that common and real chicago style pizza is tavern style. When I was visiting my uncle there he said we were having Chicago pizza for dinner and that’s what he got us and let me tell you, when you think you’re getting deep dish pizza and instead you get a cracker with a one micron thick layer of cheese on it, it’s incredibly disappointing.
A month and a half before Covid shut everything down, my company flew (almost) everyone into their corporate office in Chicago for an annual sales/company direction meeting and I was sent on an "Chicago pizza tour" the night before the meetings started.

Only one place of the four we went to did deep-dish pizza - the rest were more "tavern style" or traditional crust pizzas - even the dessert pizza at the last place. The deep dish pizza place was first place on the tour.

Hey, you're the one who is saying that an American-style fried taco shell is the same thing as a tostada, despite the shapes being radically different.
Tostada literally means "toast", so yeah, the shape is not a big factor, the crunch is. There's sweet tostadas, chicken tostadas, mole dipped tostadas. It's basically another form of tortilla.

As an official and very real ambassador to the entire mexican people, we're ok with you calling "taco" shells tostadas.

It's easier than "Tecladora the Explora," I suppose.
Besides, didn't we already have a thread on this?

--Patrick
hahahaha wow, I had no recollection of that whatsoever, I was a youngling of 24 back then :')

Tecladora the Exploradora is the name of my new band, btw
Post automatically merged:

Damn sorry, I was expecting posts to merge :Leyla:

So, you're basically saying a hot dog is a taco? :)
You guys can't even decide if "hot dog" is the sausage by itself or not!

But there's salchicha tacos, basically sausage tacos, with an actual corn, flexible tortilla. So sure! Most things can be tacos... if they're corn and not crunchy :D

Yeah, that's kind of a dick move. You don't tell an out-of-towner you're having Chicago pizza and not get deep dish. Tavern style is just called pizza. Weird that the cheese layer was so thin, though.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of that style, but that's mostly because all the little squares gets in the way of shoving as much pizza in my mouth as quickly as possible.

Now, it might be the edible I took, but I've been watching that gif for 3 straight minutes.

I am definitely no tripophobe.

Hi neighbor.

EDIT: Oh, that's right, unless you were paying attention on The Book of My Face, I'm now in that batshit crazy state just north of Sonora.

Last edited:
Only if it's a Sonoran Dog.
I've never had one of these (Sonora's like 20 hours away by car), but I have friends from around there that insist they're superior to any other kind. But norteños are very weird about their food, it's like they have al pastor jealousy and are trying to compensate or something.