E3 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the action takes place next week, but actually Konami's press conference is this evening, in about a half hour.

Thanks to some fortunate volunteer work, I'm really focused on this year's effort, particularly from Nintendo.

Here are the times for the keynotes:
Konami: Thursday, June 2, 5pm PST - http://konami.com/e3/
Microsoft: Monday, June 6, 9:30am PST - http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/microsoft-e3/
EA: Monday, June 6, 12:30pm PST - http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/ea-e3/
Ubisoft: Monday, June 6, 2:30pm PST - http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/ubisoft-e3/
Sony: Monday, June 6, 5pm PST - http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/sony-e3/
Nintendo: Tuesday, June 7, 9am PST - http://e3.nintendo.com/
Added at: 18:35
Also, the past couple Konami presentations have been so notoriously bad as to be funny, so that may be worth checking out simply for the unintentional comedy.

And the potential games, of course.

Well, Konami has gone ahead and set a really low bar for the E3 press conferences. Here was what they showed off:

- Spoken mention of a Frogger title for the 3DS for the 30th anniversary.
- Announcement of 3D remake of Metal Gear Solid 3 for 3DS with game footage
- Footage of Pro Evo Soccer 2012
- Footage of NeverDead, a new HD 3rd person shooter where the protagonist can't die and gets routinely dismembered.
- Announcement and footage of HD remakes of Silent Hill 2 and 3
- Announcement and footage of HD remakes for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Peace Walker
- Announcement of HD remakes of Zone of the Enders 1 and 2
- And, the central focus of their entire show: Transfarring, a process developed by Kojima to transfer games and game saves between the PS3 and PSP so you can continue PS3 games on the PSP. Also compatible between PS3 and the upcoming NGP.
- Five second teaser at the end showing the Contra 'C', no word on game or footage.

And that was it. 80% of the time showing off HD remakes of old games, with the majority of the remainder talking about transfarring.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh good grief.

Transfarring_LOGO_1307056494.jpg

My brain hurts just looking at it.

I sorta like the concept, though. I haven't used Steam Cloud much because most of my gaming is done on one PC. However, transferring a game back and forth between a console and a handheld would be pretty cool... If I felt like buying a game twice, which I don't.

- Announcement of 3D remake of Metal Gear Solid 3 for 3DS with game footage
- Announcement and footage of HD remakes of Silent Hill 2 and 3
- Announcement and footage of HD remakes for Metal Gear Solid 2 and Peace Walker
- Announcement of HD remakes of Zone of the Enders 1 and 2
That's just...
- Neat idea, but not sure there's a point besides making MGS3 portable. Will MGS really benefit from a dual-screen?
- Well, hell... I really don't want to get suckered into that, but I love Silent Hill 2.
- Meh. Really, really meh.
- I wasn't aware Zone of the Enders had enough of a following to merit this. I haven't played the original in so many years that my memory has probably colored the graphics better than they were. That said, it was about a 4-hour game. That's not worth its half of the eventual $40 price tag.

- And, the central focus of their entire show: Transfarring, a process developed by Kojima to transfer games and game saves between the PS3 and PSP so you can continue PS3 games on the PSP. Also compatible between PS3 and the upcoming NGP.
This is already doable with PSOne Classics; I think they should make it so you can play PSP downloaded games on the PS3 and PSP in the same way, just transferring the game save. To make this a specialty is just stupid; it should be standard. And not have a logo.

Gah I want to go. T^T My friend in San Diego got 4 passes, didn't even want to go, and I'm too poor to go.
I want to try out the NGP. :3

J

Jiarn

I approve of the Silent Hill remakes. They will be welcome. Otherwise, "meh".

What is an HD "remake" are they actually remaking the game from the ground up or are they just doing a little polygon polishing to make it look a little bit better on HD TV's?

What is an HD "remake" are they actually remaking the game from the ground up or are they just doing a little polygon polishing to make it look a little bit better on HD TV's?
The latter for most of it, but I think the 3DS remake is at least getting some serious rework.

New Nikkei article on Wii successor: http://www.nikkei.com/news/headline...19696E2E1E2EB988DE2E1E2E4E0E2E3E38698E2E2E2E2

Magical Google Translate results:

"Wii" successor, the portable game controller
Nintendo is also equipped with touch screen camera functions

2011/6/4 2:09

Nintendo has also released a stationary game machines in mid-2012 "Wii" on the successor, to adopt the new touch panel controller. In addition to the games for a tablet device, such as operations, so that as a handheld game play. 06 Wii was released in the round of boom. Regain lost ground by introducing the successor of increased convenience.

The new controller is equipped with a touch of the screen size of about 6 inches. The controller also has a built-in rechargeable battery, can not be used in situations where the TV can be used like a handheld game controller. When used as stationary, the characters on the screen to move the TV screen, for example, the tap of a finger.

The controller also features a camera. Also likely to include play in the game and appeared to reflect the alter ego of the person who shot feature.

The current Wii's total sales reached 86 million units worldwide, will continue to struggle in the foot. And lack of popular software, feel free to play at a low price exchange site (SNS) and Smartphone (advanced phones), gaming market through the expansion of the background and tablet devices.

Wii worldwide sales for fiscal 2010 is 27 percent compared to last year, down to 1508 million. The new Nintendo Wii game console to be used as a portable, expanding audience.

O

Overflight

I'm actually happy over many of these HD remakes simply because most of them are games I didn't get the chance to play. I do agree it's not a good thing to overdo, though.

Man, I am stoked to pay over a hundred dollars for a controller, JUST FUCKING STOKED.

The Wii was the single most expensive dollar per hour of entertainment device I have ever purchased. This new thing will have to be something super special....3-4 years after it's released..before I give a shit.

I'll prolly get 2 during the week it comes out from a friend I know, keep one and sell the other online like I did with the Wii for twice its value.

Then I'll play games for free.

I was not on-board for HD remakes of old games, because I didn't realize just how bad HDTV made my old games look. I wish I didn't have to sacrifice. We only bought the God of War PS3 collection because we hooked up the PS2 to go through the trilogy again only to find a muddied mess. I don't want to see my beloved Shadow of the Colossus like that (plus never got to play Ico) so I'll be getting that one. Can't say for certain with others.

Wii successor... meh so far. I don't need a DS controller; I have a DS.

Yay, Kinect games that won't play well!

OH GOD NO, DON'T KINECT MASS EFFECT. DON'T FUCKING DO IT.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. It better not effect it any way when I play it on PC. Wow, that is the lamest fucking gimmick ever. The LAMEST fucking gimmick ever. I can't wait for all the people bitching about Garrus moving into combat and getting killed when they tell him to move to cover.

On the plus side, I think they've only had to reconnect the controller twice so far.
Added at: 11:57
The voice recognition, if it works, could be pretty sweet.

Good thing that game has incredible autoaiming or he wouldn't have hit shit.
Added at: 11:03
So, did I miss the games portion of this shit or has it all been Kinect bullshit?
Added at: 11:05
FUCKING YOUTUBE!!!! YEAHAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Who fucking cares?

Who are the fucking retards cheering for fucking youtube?
Added at: 11:05
At least they got zero cheers for Bing.
Added at: 11:07
This kind of shit is why all the ISPs are banking to fucking rape us.
Added at: 11:09
Tell us this game isn't going to suck ass Dana, tell us a lie.

Oh of course it isn't about the game, this isn't a gaming convention, I forgot.

Ok, I hate to admitt hat UFC shit is nice.

But the Bing shit. Kinect shit and (my eyes can't believe it) Mass Effect Kinect... fuck...

That looks very Unreal enginey. I can't imagine ever using those UFC features. I generally watch UFC's in bars with friends and jugs of beer.

Well, watching Ice T and Cliffy B play video games was fun. Good demonstration. :/
Added at: 11:20
Well, that's as creatively bankrupt as it gets.
Added at: 11:25
HULLO, I'm PETER Molyneux.

THIS GAME WILL BE INNNNNCREDIBLE (mediocre) AND I PROMISE A GAME WORLD 100 TIMES (twice) AS LARGE AS THE PREVIOUS GAMES! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO OVER 100 (7) DIFFERENT EMOTIONAL GESTURES!
Added at: 11:27
Christ it's an on rails kinect shooter?

Fuck the fuck off.
Added at: 11:29
Can I play it without Kinect? If I can't play it without Kinect I don't give a fuck.

FUCK KINECT GOD DAMN IT.
Added at: 11:31
Sorry Children, we can't afford a real trip to Disneyland, here's the KINECT version. It's almost as boring as really standing in line.

These children deserve Oscars for pretending that's fun.
Added at: 11:34
Ha ha, I bet they won't show a live demo of the star wars game. Now you too can look like the Star Wars kid at home. God damn it looks shitty.
Added at: 11:35
JEEEEEZUS.

There's like 2 seconds of input lag. They best fix that shit.
Added at: 11:36
Fuck, this looks worse than the original Red Steel.
Added at: 11:42
I really have nothing negative to say about that Sesame Street Kinect game. That's the kind of thing it should be for.
Added at: 11:45
I call bullshit on that instant avatar function, you couldn't see her ponytail in the picture she took and yet it knows she has one.

Kudo Tsunoda looks like half of the people I arrest.
Added at: 11:50
So far, Non-Kinect Horseshit: Gears of War
Kinect Horseshit: EVERYTHING ELSE

So I guess it's not possible to lose the input lag on Kinect making everything anyone does on it look terrible and awkward.

Except for Dance Central. Why is it the only fucking Kinect game with almost 0 input lag? What are they doing differently?
Added at: 11:59
Wow, so the first ACTUAL videogame shown isn't coming out for over a year and a half. Awesome.
First and LAST it seems.

Microsoft, your pile of shit presser gets a 2/10.

Isn't 343 made up of a lot of former Bungie guys who were more attached to Halo than to the company they used to work for?

I'm guessing it will be as fucking wanky as possible.

D

Disconnected

i'm just guessing here but:
dance central is assuming you know the next move in sequence so it animates conntinuously until you make a mistake... so instead of waiting for input it checks if you're out of position which is easier for kinect to detect.

i'm just guessing here but:
dance central is assuming you know the next move in sequence so it animates conntinuously until you make a mistake... so instead of waiting for input it checks if you're out of position which is easier for kinect to detect.
Pretty much. It highlights the body part on the screen that is out of position so you know what you need to work on.
Added at: 13:52
Isn't 343 made up of a lot of former Bungie guys who were more attached to Halo than to the company they used to work for?

I'm guessing it will be as fucking wanky as possible.
Also, the plot will be barely comprehensible and there will be a funky ARG to promote the release of each game.

Status
Not open for further replies.