[Funny] Funny Pictures! (Keep em clean, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiarn

Cool as it is, it fails in theory.

Belle was the least vain of any of them. Cinderella is pretty much the opposite of Lust. Jasmine, Snow White and Tinkerbell I get, but how exactly was Ariel greedy?

Dave

Staff member
Cool as it is, it fails in theory.

Belle was the least vain of any of them. Cinderella is pretty much the opposite of Lust. Jasmine, Snow White and Tinkerbell I get, but how exactly was Ariel greedy?
She put everyone else's lives at risk to get what she wanted.

J

Jiarn

Hm, I can see that then. I was thinking the more common monetary greed. Gotcha, retracted statement. But still, Belle vain? Because there was a mirror in her story? Where exactly does Lust fall into Cinderella's story?

Dave

Staff member
Actually of all of them Belle is the LEAST vain. In fact, the story basically revolves around her being different and not caring about what people thought. Vain people ONLY care what people think of them.

And Cinderella as lust? I can see that. The whole thing is about a man wanting to find a woman he met once and lusted over at a dance.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the greed reference is more about Ariel's tendency at the start of the movie to collect and hoard treasures from the human world, but I guess her unthinking pursuit of her own personal wants could count too.

As for Belle, he got one of the sins wrong ... vainglory is a subset of the sin of PRIDE. And at the beginning of the movie, Belle feels herself too big for her pond ("I want much more than this provincial life"). And no, "she changed over the course of the movie" is not a disqualifier, so did everybody else in the set - sleeping beauty woke up, tinkerbell ostensibly got over her jealousy of wendy, etc.
Added at: 10:05
I do however agree Esmeralda would have been a better fit for lust.

J

Jiarn

I'm still not sure I agree with the Belle reference, I don't recall her being one of those "if I could only see the world/want so much more" it seemed like she was quite content with her life and caring for her father.

That works. I am satisfied.

Although the idea that Belle wanted to break free of her pleasant life and forge a path for herself/break social norms/see everything the world has to offer?

That could apply to just about EVERY DISNEY FEMALE EVER.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm still not sure I agree with the Belle reference, I don't recall her being one of those "if I could only see the world/want so much more" it seemed like she was quite content with her life and caring for her father.

"Little town full of little people~" ("little people" is never a compliment :p)

"There must be more than this provincial life."

"She's different from the rest of us, that Belle~"

I actually once created a DnD character using Belle's enthusiastic wanderlust as a template - the daughter of elven clerics who had read many fantastic bardic tales of the world and wanted to see it for herself.

Of course, living the sheltered happy life she had, and her head full of idealism, she was completely unprepared for the grim realities of what a DnD setting can be.

If Belle's first and only adventure hadn't ended with her marrying a rich and handsome prince, basically.
Added at: 11:26
Yeah, but she's content, not trying desperately to leave it.

The artist's reasoning for having Belle symbolize vanity:

It's no wonder that her name means Beauty...

Here's Belle, the victim of vanity. While she herself is not vain, those around her seem to see nothing but her beauty, such as Gaston only wants her due to her radiance. Her tale itself is one completely focused on Vanity.
-edit-

Artist also decided to make a 'seven virtues' series, where Belle also makes an appearance.

I was more implying that dArtists have some serious hardons for Disney characters, especially Ariel.

Hell, there are 4 pictures of Ariel in the FIRST PAGE of my favourites. :)
Added at: 12:12
One of which is also my desktop. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, but she's content, not trying desperately to leave it.
Are we watching the same movie? She's not content, she's bored of the daily minutiae of village life and desperate for stimulation, and completely disconnected from the rest of the townspeople, on which they comment constantly.

The simple village life of the little people is not enough for Belle. She wants more.

"There goes the baker with his tray like always.
The same old bread and rolls to sell.
Every morning just the same since the morning that we came,
To this poor provintial town."

Anyone who mistakes this song for an elegy to contentment must have a masters degree in self delusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.