Funny (political, religious) pictures

I was just explaining what he was doing to someone who didn't watch the video.
:oops:

I, uh, actually did watch the video. I just sorta kinda needed to claim I didn't to set up the lame joke.

I could've also gone with wondering how large Trump's stack will grow once the Republicans tack on all their pork barrel riders.

How dare people call themselves poor when they can afford to own a refrigerator!
Seriously, these people are fucked up. As if poverty is defined by the lack of modern appliances available since multiple generations ago in what is supposed to be the most powerful nation on earth. Sometimes I hate this place.

Do you know what's really expensive?
1) Having to lose 2-3 hrs every day to grocery shopping and the planning and preparation either shelf-stable meals or meals that will leave no leftovers. Oh, and they have to be nutritious, too.
2) Having to lose another hour daily to having to use conventional ovens for the inefficient (re)heating/preparation of food, the boiling of water, sanitizing of sponges used to clean food preparation surfaces/equipment.
3) Starbucks.

--Patrick

It's like you guys can't see that this is how well off that America is, our "poor" are living better than some middle class or even upper class in other countries.

It's like you guys can't see that this is how well off that America is, our "poor" are living better than some middle class or even upper class in other countries.
Yeah, but Fox isn't talking about other countries, they're talking about other Americans.
And really, any country whose citizenry can't afford a refrigerator/microwave/coffee pot isn't going to have a TV set to watch Fox News anyway, right?

--Patrick

Do you know what's really expensive?
1) Having to lose 2-3 hrs every day to grocery shopping and the planning and preparation either shelf-stable meals or meals that will leave no leftovers. Oh, and they have to be nutritious, too.
2) Having to lose another hour daily to having to use conventional ovens for the inefficient (re)heating/preparation of food, the boiling of water, sanitizing of sponges used to clean food preparation surfaces/equipment.
3) Starbucks.

--Patrick
It always blows me away that you guys don't use kettles, electric or not, to boil water. I don't anyone that uses microwaves to boil water. Just one of those differences between us.

It always blows me away that you guys don't use kettles, electric or not, to boil water. I don't anyone that uses microwaves to boil water. Just one of those differences between us.
Wait, seriously?

Americans are all so poor they don't have kettles?

We didn't used to, but then we boiled water enough that we got one (and have been through a few of them so far). But yes, I believe not having a kettle is the norm in America. Probably because we only have 120VAC current.

--Patrick

We didn't used to, but then we boiled water enough that we got one (and have been through a few of them so far). But yes, I believe not having a kettle is the norm in America. Probably because we only have 120VAC current
That wouldn't matter if the amps we could pull was higher... which it isn't. From quick googling at least, it's 13 amps in Europe, and considering it's typically only 15 as the limit here, the voltage difference means more POWER can be transmitted to the outlet.

I wonder how that impacts the wire installed? I would think it would need to be a thicker gauge in europe to handle such, but I'm a software guy, not an electrician. I know the VERY basics about electricity and power, but not installation stuff.

An English Electric Kettle boils about 2 minutes faster than an American Electric Kettle. So I just use a kettle on my range, but damn it is slow. If I make instant coffee I just get the water hot in the microwave.

That wouldn't matter if the amps we could pull was higher... which it isn't. From quick googling at least, it's 13 amps in Europe, and considering it's typically only 15 as the limit here, the voltage difference means more POWER can be transmitted to the outlet.

I wonder how that impacts the wire installed? I would think it would need to be a thicker gauge in europe to handle such, but I'm a software guy, not an electrician. I know the VERY basics about electricity and power, but not installation stuff.
15-20amps is the usual limit per circuit here in the US also. The raw amount of power in the circuit doesn't change, amps are amps no matter what voltage delivers them, but higher voltage usually means lower loss in transmission, meaning more total power gets delivered to the destination. I'm sure @stienman could clear this up...once he gets his power back after the windstorms, that is.

--Patrick

15-20amps is the usual limit per circuit here in the US also. The raw amount of power in the circuit doesn't change, amps are amps no matter what voltage delivers them, but higher voltage usually means lower loss in transmission, meaning more total power gets delivered to the destination. I'm sure @stienman could clear this up...once he gets his power back after the windstorms, that is.
Umm, dude? Power equation: P = VI
P = Power in Watts
V = Voltage in Volts
I = Current in Amperes
(Note: differences due to AC vs DC for the numbers (they're smaller), but the principle holds. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power )

Same current != same power. I still remember THAT much from my circuits courses in university. Even if I've been doing software for 13 years, I still do hold an Electrical Engineering degree. Dr. Minchev would be ashamed if I forgot something THAT basic.

Circuit nerd dump incoming:
Btw, this is why high-voltage transmission lines are a thing, since when you step up the voltage the current reduces FASTER, which means less losses. This is related to Ohm's law: V = IR (or IZ, impedence, same for this purpose). Power is also expressible by I^2*R, but when you throw something through a (perfect) transformer, power is THE SAME. So if you take 50 volts and step it up to 50,000 volts, you have 1/1000 the current, but the power LOST due to resistance in the wires goes down by a MILLION because of squaring the current for the loss. Same resistance, less power lost to heat. This is also why the high voltage direct current is so neat, because direct current doesn't have losses from capacitance or inductance losses like AC does. The problem for years has been doing a DC to DC converter that would step up (and down) the voltage as much as needed, but NOT have losses in that process that make it worthwhile to do it in the first place.

I don't know of anyone who boils water in a microwave either, most everyone has a stovetop kettle or uses a saucepan. I've always used a stovetop kettle and we now have an electric kettle (they're still fairly rare here, but I've been seeing them in stores more and more). The only time I boil water in the microwave is to steam clean it. I'll use the microwave to re-heat a mug of coffee/tea that's gone cold, but that's only for a few seconds.

I use kettles now, as a result of living years in China where everyone has one, having a Chinese wife, and now out of habit. However, previous to China, I never owned nor used one.

Umm, dude? Power equation: P = VI
P = Power in Watts
V = Voltage in Volts
I = Current in Amperes
(Note: differences due to AC vs DC for the numbers (they're smaller), but the principle holds. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power )

Same current != same power. I still remember THAT much from my circuits courses in university. Even if I've been doing software for 13 years, I still do hold an Electrical Engineering degree. Dr. Minchev would be ashamed if I forgot something THAT basic.

Circuit nerd dump incoming:
Btw, this is why high-voltage transmission lines are a thing, since when you step up the voltage the current reduces FASTER, which means less losses. This is related to Ohm's law: V = IR (or IZ, impedence, same for this purpose). Power is also expressible by I^2*R, but when you throw something through a (perfect) transformer, power is THE SAME. So if you take 50 volts and step it up to 50,000 volts, you have 1/1000 the current, but the power LOST due to resistance in the wires goes down by a MILLION because of squaring the current for the loss. Same resistance, less power lost to heat. This is also why the high voltage direct current is so neat, because direct current doesn't have losses from capacitance or inductance losses like AC does. The problem for years has been doing a DC to DC converter that would step up (and down) the voltage as much as needed, but NOT have losses in that process that make it worthwhile to do it in the first place.
I said power, not Power. I assumed since you did not capitalize "power" that you were referring to the quantity of electricity (current) that went through the circuit, not the amount of work that got done (Watts). This is the joy of working with professionals, everyone makes certain assumptions about standards/terminology, and it's hard to tell when you are/aren't speaking in layman.

Good to see we both agree on higher voltage minimizing impedance losses, though.

--Patrick

Last edited: