Funny (political, religious) pictures

I’ve unironically had the thought that the only time I’ve experienced racism in my life was when I order extra spicy food at Thai/Indian restaurants. Like I’m not saying it’s as bad as racism other people face but it definitely still is racism.
Some of those Thai dishes aren't no joke. Now think how many times some Karen ate the hot stuff and threatened to sue. I grew up on the spiciest of Mexican food and still waffle on ordering their hot stuff.

I used to go to this local Indian restaurant near my work and the owner/cook/possibly sole employee would ask me if I wanted 'white guy spicy' or 'brown guy spicy'. I love a lot of spice, so after a while I'd walk in and he'd just point and yell "Brown guy spicy!" which was always very funny (and delicious)

I don't really enjoy spicy. Like, it doesn't bring pleasure. It literally activates pain receptors. Beyond trying to prove how much I can take it, I don't really see the point. So I guess I'll stick with white guy spicy. *shrug*

It depends on the spice level. If it builds to a slow burn it’s excellent. If it tastes like battery acid and is not actually enhancing the flavor then it can fuck right off.
This.
Spicy = great, even if it's too much and I can't handle it.
Hot hot let's just up the Scoville = hiding all other flavors, might be spoiled or rotten meat, nothing else of taste remains = BS

I'd just like to note that people's palates can be desensitized to spiciness. So "too spicy to distinguish other flavors" for you might be "just spicy enough to enhance all the other flavors" for someone else.

I personally can stomach much spicier food than my wife because I've been eating spicy food since my early teens. It's funny this discussion came up here, actually, because my wife made pickled cucumbers this recent weekend, except she added too many peppers to them, so now they're way too hot for her but perfect for me. So I'm all like, "Don't worry, I'll eat them all."

I'd just like to note that people's palates can be desensitized to spiciness. So "too spicy to distinguish other flavors" for you might be "just spicy enough to enhance all the other flavors" for someone else.

I personally can stomach much spicier food than my wife because I've been eating spicy food since my early teens. It's funny this discussion came up here, actually, because my wife made pickled cucumbers this recent weekend, except she added too many peppers to them, so now they're way too hot for her but perfect for me. So I'm all like, "Don't worry, I'll eat them all."
This.
At a spiciness level that I would call mild, or probably not even notice at all, my wife would complain that it was too spicy to eat.

In VA, there were Peruvian style chicken places all over the place. One of them had a bottle of habanero sauce that I fell in absolute love with. The flavors were amazing, and the habanero flavor (which is slightly fruity) just really came through. I was just dumping it on all of my food including the fries and talking to my wife about how amazing it was. Then I looked up and saw a hispanic guy sitting a couple tables over just looking at me like I was crazy.

1687251820607.png

This sauce is about 10-12K scoville, about 3-5 times hotter than a raw jalapeno. But I barely noticed the sting at all.

I once ate at Volt, a super fancy restaurant, and got a flight of "spicy" meads. When I got them, I took a taste and told my wife that they must've meant "spiced" because they weren't hot. Then I read the cards that came with them, and they were infused with ghost pepper, Trinidad moruga scorpion pepper, etc, and were supposed to be in the millions of scovilles--though I dispute that they were actually that hot.

figmentPez

Staff member
I really don't think anyone assumes you're genetically/racially/physically unable to process spicy food... it's more of a cultural thing imo.
Why shouldn't we make that assumption, though? There are people who are super-tasters with many more taste buds on their tongue than average, and thus are more averse to bitter flavors. Why wouldn't there be people who are more sensitive to capsaicin? Either because they have more receptors, or theirs bind more readily with capsaicin, or whatever. It shouldn't cause any more prejudice than lactose intolerance, or color blindness, but it definitely could have a genetic/physical cause, and might very well be as tied to race as the ability to digest dairy products in adulthood is.

Also, I don't think it's "just cultural" in all cases, there are definitely times when I've seen people who can't take spicy portrayed as weaker, or unable to handle pain, because they can't eat spicy foods.

it definitely could have a genetic/physical cause, and might very well be as tied to race as the ability to digest dairy products in adulthood is.
If it is i've never seen it mentioned as being significantly more prevalent in one of the populations what we call races.

Also, the world record for eating 10 Carolina reapers the fastest is held by a white american: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...-chilli-pro-eats-ten-in-just-33-15-sec-724616

Also, it kind of sounds like Tinwhistler has some sort of genetic thing going on, because when i was eating spicy food regularly i had a good tolerance, but i could still tell when it was too hot for people who aren't use to it.

there are definitely times when I've seen people who can't take spicy portrayed as weaker, or unable to handle pain, because they can't eat spicy foods.
And you think that's not cultural ?

You're eating sometihng that hurts you and doesn't provide any extra caloric benefits etc...

figmentPez

Staff member
And you think that's not cultural ?

You're eating sometihng that hurts you and doesn't provide any extra caloric benefits etc...
When I say "you're weak and can't handle pain" that's a personal insult, unless you're saying "all <ethnic group> are weak and can't handle pain" in which case it becomes prejudice/racism, and isn't just a cultural difference.

Something that's "just cultural" would be "white people are not accustomed to eating hot food, so their tolerance isn't high because they're not used to it".