Games on SALE!

figmentPez

Staff member
Prime Gaming's March game list, once again the releases are staggered with weekly drops on Thursdays.
  • Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate EE is now available from Prime Gaming, and surprisingly it's not a GOG code, it's just on the Amazon Games app.

--

This week's Epic Freebie is Rise of Indsutry

--

Free on Steam is Figment, I wish I could recommend this game, but it's mediocre. I was excited to play it, for obvious reasons, but ended up being mildly disappointed. My review.

World for $15 is an excellent price. Rise and World are both excellent in their own way. World has a great story and tons of events. Rise is designed to have much faster hunts and they have recently made it more solo friendly.

Generations has Prowler mode (where you get to be your cat in hunts) so it wins lol.

Contrasting opinion: I played an hour or so and it felt exactly the same as every other souls-like I've tried, with the exception of difficulty selection and a star wars glow-up. I might be willing to tolerate the souls trappings to experience the rest of it, but it's not suddenly making me enjoy the gameplay.

figmentPez

Staff member
Opens store page. “souls like”

Closes store page.
I've never played a souls like, so I only know what I've seen of other people playing them, and Fallen Order seems more like a Zelda game than what I've seen of any of the Souls games. The map design is definitely not like any of the Souls games that I've seen.

I thought the combat could stand to be a little more acrobatic, but that's probably because I had recently finished Middle Earth: Shadow of War. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for passing on the game because they don't like the combat system, though. The story is fantastic, and there's some fun traversal and decent puzzles, but the combat is mostly just acceptable, with a few highs and lows.

The story is amazing, though. Cal and the others deserve a live action series far more than Boba Fett did.

Contrasting opinion: I played an hour or so and it felt exactly the same as every other souls-like I've tried, with the exception of difficulty selection and a star wars glow-up. I might be willing to tolerate the souls trappings to experience the rest of it, but it's not suddenly making me enjoy the gameplay.
The combat is only "souls like" for that first hour or so, where you are meant to be weak and on the back foot. Once the story starts up it is much more as pez said, a Zelda game, or as I like to describe it, secretly the best Indiana Jones game ever where you spend all your time exploring through ancient ruins for rare artifacts before the space Nazis can find it

Dave

Staff member
The combat is only "souls like" for that first hour or so, where you are meant to be weak and on the back foot. Once the story starts up it is much more as pez said, a Zelda game, or as I like to describe it, secretly the best Indiana Jones game ever where you spend all your time exploring through ancient ruins for rare artifacts before the space Nazis can find it
Hmmm. Okay I’ll try it out. I love exploration games.

Yeah, I've had zero patience with Souls-like games and I played this through to completion. The combat IS challenging at times, but not unforgivably so. Employing your Jedi powers and getting the knack for blocking/parrying is key. I agree with @Ravenpoe. Probably the only thing it has in common with Souls-like games is that placed enemies will respawn if you use a save point.

If anything, the game is a mix of multiple genres without really doing anything particularly unique on its own, save for the Star Wars trappings. There's Zelda like exploration in that you return to levels later to unlock areas with new abilities. There's Uncharted-like traversal where you climb obstacles, sometimes during exciting cinematic-like sequences.

And just to be clear, just because it borrows elements from other games, that doesn't mean it's bad. It uses all those elements quite well and I quite enjoyed the final product (enough that I bought it on Steam last night, even though I already own it on EA's app).

You know, I played all the way through that game and I couldn't tell you a thing about it other than Debra Wilson plays your mentor and your poncho is silly.

figmentPez

Staff member
April's Prime Gaming has been revealed, and there's a lot of Neo Geo games again this month. Bolded stand-out titles. Most of them redeem on the Amazon games app, unless otherwise noted.
  • Apr 6: Wolfenstein: The New Order - GOG code
  • Apr 6: Ninja Commando (Neo Geo)
  • Apr 6: Art of Fighting 3 (Neo Geo)
  • Apr 13: The Beast Inside - GOG code
  • Apr 13: Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition
  • Apr 13: Crossed Swords (Neo Geo)
  • April 13: Ghost Pilots (Neo Geo)
  • April 20: Beholder 2
  • April 20: Terraformers
  • April 20: Metal Slug 4 (Neo Geo)
  • April 20: Ninja Masters (Neo Geo)
  • April 27: Looking for Aliens [Legacy Games Code]
  • April 27: Grime
  • April 27: Sengoku
  • April 27: Magician Lord (Neo Geo)
Luna games will be: Yakuza Kiwami 2, Horizon Chase Turbo, The Jackbox Games Party Pack 3 and The Adventure Pals.