Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

IDK the right thread for this, but I'm really bummed that almost all the pushback against DeSean Jackson's comments seems to have come from right wingers just looking for an excuse to call out BLM activism. I know that antisemitism isn't as pressing of an issue in the US as racial issues, but after over a month of talk about unity and equality and whatnot, the silence just kinda makes me feel like we're still an acceptable target even for lots of people who mean well otherwise.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, lots of people are sticking up for him. Fuck, man. I can't say all of them are dumb. I mean, they are, but only in that antisemitism is just stupid. Doubly so coming from a bunch of people who experience racism or idiocy on a daily basis. You'd think they'd know better.

That was real bizarre.

"You know, Hitler had some good ideas."

WHAT?

"Not the racist and genocidal parts, just the part about blacks and jews!"

I don't know, I feel he might have just not gotten the best education on the whole thing. I mean the fact he openly attributed the quote to Hitler like it was no big deal tells me he didn't really understand it was THAT Hitler, or the context of the quote. I mean it could just be that he is a raging anti-Semite but usually an anti-Semite isn't so blunt with it to the whole world for obvious reasons. Ice Cube has been doing some similar shit recently.

Yeah this is a joke from Kanye. Not a joke in the sense of "intent to convey something humorous" but joke in the sense that there's no reason to take it seriously. And yes I'm aware that the same was said about trump.

I can't find it at the moment, but someone posted something like:
"I hope Kanye runs for President, and wins, but then right as he's going up to have the Oath of Office administered, Taylor Swift comes out of nowhere and cuts ahead of him and is sworn in, instead."

--Patrick

I can't find it at the moment, but someone posted something like:
"I hope Kanye runs for President, and wins, but then right as he's going up to have the Oath of Office administered, Taylor Swift comes out of nowhere and cuts ahead of him and is sworn in, instead."

--Patrick
It was Dana Gould
FE201CFC-2932-48F1-876B-F3BC09B09C66.jpeg

I know that antisemitism isn't as pressing of an issue in the US as racial issues
Wait, is anti-semitism not considered racism in the US?

I swear, y'all are something else.

That was real bizarre.

"You know, Hitler had some good ideas."

WHAT?

"Not the racist and genocidal parts, just the part about blacks and jews!"
What's really funny is that there's like countless black ethnicities in Africa, most of which have existed before the roman conquest of the Middle East. So which one would be the real children of Israel anyway? (double funny because, there are actual black jews, look up Beta Israel).

Of course, it's mostly NoI non-sense, which is the equivalent to mormonism, but for Islam.

Dave

Staff member
I actually took a class on the Holocaust and anti-semitism. One of the first questions asked was about that very thing - race vs. religion. Academically, they can identify as either a race, religion, or nation, depending on whether you are using a dictionary, science, or the Torah.

The American legal system, however, considers it a race and attacks against the Jewish people to be acts of racism. In fact, as late as 2018 the American judicial branch has ruled that it is racism as they judge people on their "Jewish blood". (Bonadona v. Louisiana College)

It's a little of A and a little of B. I just don't feel comfortable comparing myself to black people if for no other reason than I am not always visibly Jewish in the way that black peolle are always visibly black. If someone doesn't know me they'd just assume I was a white Christian.

That being said, despite the fact that I'm an atheist, I still consider myself Jewish because to the antisemites, my religious beliefs are irrelevant.

It's a little of A and a little of B. I just don't feel comfortable comparing myself to black people if for no other reason than I am not always visibly Jewish in the way that black peolle are always visibly black. If someone doesn't know me they'd just assume I was a white Christian.

That being said, despite the fact that I'm an atheist, I still consider myself Jewish because to the antisemites, my religious beliefs are irrelevant.
Hello fellow atheist jew. Historically, one of the biggest reasons white nationalists hate Jews is because they can "pass for white"

That said, the very concept of races is arbitrary anyway

Historically, one of the biggest reasons white nationalists hate Jews is because they can "pass for white"
If I remember correctly, Jews, Irish, Italians and Eastern Europeans became "acceptably white" for this reason, in response to the Civil Rights movement, when previously they were not considered white.
One of the many reasons I want to throw things when I hear some family members say stupid and ignorant things about POC when those "facts" used to be "true" about them, too.

Person: "I will vote for anyone other than Trump."

Scientology: "O rly??"

(Yes, I know it's a joke, but so should be most of the things in this thread. This is our reality now.)

Dave

Staff member
They have put Ghislaine Maxwell on suicide watch. I think the sequel should not have the same plot as the original.

I'm not saying I don't agree with the lincoln project in the sense of wanting trump out of office, but I sure as shit don't trust those people an ounce more.