Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

This was unfortunately well timed

When we called 911 for my uncle, the ambulance took 40 minutes to arrive. My sister was the only one who really knew what she was doing, so she ended up performing CPR on him for 20 minutes until some volunteer first responders showed up.

There was never any real chance in saving him, but she didn’t want his wife who was watching, or anyone else, thinking she didn’t do everything she could.

Needless to say we’ll be buying a defibrillator for my parents, and getting CPR training now. Thankfully we can afford that, but we shouldn’t have to.

GasBandit

Staff member
I also took CPR training in high school, and I'll use it if needed, but like Sixpack I worry I may do as much harm as good, if not more.

Same. I had training about 25 years ago. Once I saw my sister doing it I quickly realized I would have just got in the way.
I think it would be great to have more free community training opportunities though.

I had to get CPR training both as a Scout and as a volunteer at the hospital. In the 15 years between those, the entire process had changed... and by the time I was done volunteering (8+ years) the process had changed again.

As I sit here wondering how we got so stupid so quickly, I remember the man who was responsible for Fox Noise was also the guy who brought us Willie Horton during the first Bush campaign.

So yeah, burn in hell, Roger Ailes, Lee Atwater, AND Bush 41.

Yup, nothing much new there. That all of the Western world is happy to turn a blind eye to this is monstrous. That the FIFA World Championships in Qatar aren't being boycotted by literally every other country in the world is grotesque.

Combine with the new climate report, and you really start to realize, one, why newer generations seem so nihilistic to older generations, and two, why people want to believe in conspiracy theories so much. The world is very literally beyond repair, and a small select group of the rich and famous will live in luxury and comfort while the rest slowly sinks and dies.

Yup, nothing much new there. That all of the Western world is happy to turn a blind eye to this is monstrous. That the FIFA World Championships in Qatar aren't being boycotted by literally every other country in the world is grotesque.

Combine with the new climate report, and you really start to realize, one, why newer generations seem so nihilistic to older generations, and two, why people want to believe in conspiracy theories so much. The world is very literally beyond repair, and a small select group of the rich and famous will live in luxury and comfort while the rest slowly sinks and dies.
Well that's a little pessimistic. I mean, if the rest sinks and dies, who will do the actual work so the rich people can sit in meetings and make important decisions?

Feels like the term propaganda has lost all meaning these days.

"I don't want teachers teaching critical race theory to my kids! It's propaganda!"

"Well, what do you want them to be taught then?"

"That America is the greatest nation on Earth, a beacon of freedom in a savage world, and that Jesus himself has touched this country as his chosen land."

"So in other words, you want propaganda."

"Yes! I mean no! That isn't propaganda you god-hating snowflake! It's truth!"

"Sure thing, Stalin."

Nowhere else to put it, so I'll just leave this here.

FUCK DUBAI.
Many of the Gulf countries do have a less than stellar reputation concerning their treatment of migrant workers. It seems that UAE has half-way decent labor protections for migrant workers and are making moves in the right direction, though it seems that the problem of lackadaisical enforcement remains.

Workers losing their jobs due to the effects of Covid and left completely without an income is an unfortunately common issue in many countries lacking modern welfare systems, and the effects of covid restrictions and the drop in oil prices for much of 2020 saw many UAE companies unable to retain migrant workers on payroll. This is of course particularly unfortunate since migrants usually don't have a social safety net (family or friends) in a foreign country, many of their families back home are reliant on remittances, and much of UAE welfare is citizen-only. The UAE federal government has decreed that employers must continue to take care of their migrant workers even if they're not working, and while many employers continue to take their responsibilities under the Kafala system (easy entry but limited rights for migrant workers, employer takes care) seriously, it is unfortunate that some do not, leading to considerable hardship for migrant workers.

Hopefully the government can do something to help them, or better yet, business will pick up so the migrant workers can start earning again. That is what they went there for.

For anyone interested, here is a 2019 research report of a survey with various stakeholder groups regarding the situation of low-wage migrant workers in UAE.