Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I had heard of Something Awful, but the first time I heard of Lowtax was earlier this week because of someone running a Go Fund Me for his ex and child. From what I understand, he was beating his spouse, so she left with the help of his previous ex, whom he also abused. He blew threw their money and killed himself so he wouldn't have to pay child support. Sounds like a gem.

Reactions: Cat
... I had not heard that.

... I had also not heard that.

In both cases, darn :/ I was a fan of SA back in the day.
I lurked occasionally for years before I signed up to support the site. I rarely post there tho, it's still active enough that somebody has already posted one of my takes

I had heard of Something Awful, but the first time I heard of Lowtax was earlier this week because of someone running a Go Fund Me for his ex and child. From what I understand, he was beating his spouse, so she left with the help of his previous ex, whom he also abused. He blew threw their money and killed himself so he wouldn't have to pay child support. Sounds like a gem.
The second wife is a member, and used to work for him, and has posted about this.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The evil that men do live after them, the good is oft interred with their bones.

That said, I think it was evident even 20+ years ago that Lowtax was not a stable individual, and a relationship with him was a risky venture at best.

THAT said, Something Awful brought me a whole lot of joy over the last few decades. I never joined the forums (from everything I hear, it was definitely the 4chan of its day), but I loved reading the articles.

And our OMGWTFBBQ reaction was named after SA contributor Ryan "OMGWTFBBQ" Adams.

The evil that men do live after them, the good is oft interred with their bones.

That said, I think it was evident even 20+ years ago that Lowtax was not a stable individual, and a relationship with him was a risky venture at best.

THAT said, Something Awful brought me a whole lot of joy over the last few decades. I never joined the forums (from everything I hear, it was definitely the 4chan of its day), but I loved reading the articles.

And our OMGWTFBBQ reaction was named after SA contributor Ryan "OMGWTFBBQ" Adams.
Guy created the site but it's all the people who have passed through it that made it great
Post automatically merged:

I think 4chan started from banned members

GasBandit

Staff member
Guy created the site but it's all the people who have passed through it that made it great
Most of my favorite articles were indeed written by Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons, but JeffK and various other personas of Lowtax will always have a space in my head.

I think 4chan started from banned members
Kind of. Lowtax banned hentai from the SA forums, and 4chan was founded by SA forum users who wanted a forum where they could post hentai and do anything else and have completely no consequences.

And TBH I kinda understand where they were coming from, because at its height, I hear the SA forums were just banning people left and right for no real reason, but you could get unbanned by paying $10.

Hence all the "hope you got ten bux" memes

I've never read the articles or even looked at the front page. I'll have to look those up later

Edit: I wasn't around back then but from the all the rustled banned members I've seen the mods have usually been right to boot someone. As it is now it's one of the most heavily modded communities online and the current mods have done well cracking down on members who harass queer people

Edit 2: Like a while back I heard about this programmer who got unfairly banned for "being mentally ill". Turns out this guy couldn't disagree with anyone without calling them the n word

Final Edit?: this guy. Saw a post go viral on tumblr about how great it was that it took him ten years to program an 80s commodore style os. Dude was seriously a piece of shit and not from his mental illness

Edit 3: Some mods got booted after the site was sold for covering up lowtax's spousal abuse. It really is under new management and working on being better

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've never read the articles or even looked at the front page. I'll have to look those up later

Edit: I wasn't around back then but from the all the rustled banned members I've seen the mods have usually been right to boot someone. As it is now it's one of the most heavily modded communities online and the current mods have done well cracking down on members who harass queer people

Edit 2: Like a while back I heard about this programmer who got unfairly banned for "being mentally ill". Turns out this guy couldn't disagree with anyone without calling them the n word
I'm not saying there weren't a lot of cesspit dwellers, there definitely were, especially in FYAD. But being banned kinda loses its sting when you can just pay 10 bucks to get back in, and then it becomes less moderation and more profit grinding. At least that's what it seemed to me, back in the day. Which is part of why I just stuck to reading the articles and saved my witty repartee for here (and of course, FARK.com)

I'm not saying there weren't a lot of cesspit dwellers, there definitely were, especially in FYAD. But being banned kinda loses its sting when you can just pay 10 bucks to get back in, and then it becomes less moderation and more profit grinding. At least that's what it seemed to me, back in the day. Which is part of why I just stuck to reading the articles and saved my witty repartee for here (and of course, FARK.com)
There are different kinds of bans there. Probations, bans, and permabans

Wife was a goon back in the day. Lots of good memories for her though she is still salty about some of the raids.

Lowtax though sounds like a grade A turd. Just the worst and I'm glad his wife wasn't caught up in his self-destruction.

Wife was a goon back in the day. Lots of good memories for her though she is still salty about some of the raids.

Lowtax though sounds like a grade A turd. Just the worst and I'm glad his wife wasn't caught up in his self-destruction.
Lot of goons have been celebrating that he's not gonna cause any issues for the board now

Besides the nazis making the most noise and daring anyone to take a swing at them?
cmon, if they were really Nazis, you wouldnt just have obvious, out loud stuff. You’d have weird insider shit for no real reason other than being dog whistles, like (and this is just off the top of my head, a complete hypothetical) i dunno, a major book retailer selling Mein Kampf for $14.88 or something
56277B52-632D-471A-8A0D-3807628AB7F5.jpeg
and yes, this is real. At least as of the timestamp of this post.

cmon, if they were really Nazis, you wouldnt just have obvious, out loud stuff. You’d have weird insider shit for no real reason other than being dog whistles, like (and this is just off the top of my head, a complete hypothetical) i dunno, a major book retailer selling Mein Kampf for $14.88 or something
View attachment 39519
and yes, this is real. At least as of the timestamp of this post.
Walmart's got big signs now for everything that's on sale for 14.88. Lot of people have acted like I'm crazy for pointing it out

CW: hysterical cop shit

This guy is a cop

Screenshot_20211123-172951.png

So is this guy

Screenshot_20211123-173310.png

First post was about the philando castille shooting, second post was actually about this

Screenshot_20211125-172935.png

Last edited:
It is amazing how I have no psychological damage from going undercover with these chuds

I've been called the n word for my opinions on law enforcement lol

I carry a lot of hatred in my heart so while I'm writing I play a lot of final fantasy and listen to anime. I am a very mellow person

I'd get fired over a serious error despite being really good at some parts of my job. "give people a second chance" is great advice but somehow possibly perhaps slightly misapplied in this case.
I have been endlessly antagonized by managers for not making every meal perfect every time. I've had panic attacks at work. Never killed anybody

I have been endlessly antagonized by managers for not making every meal perfect every time. I've had panic attacks at work. Never killed anybody
That was your problem. You should have killed the new hire on accident using a meat slicer. Once you have that on your belt, the meal prep will look downright pro by comparison.

Oh wait that only works for cops and rich people, forget I said anything.

Removed. Sorry, Cat. I realize what you put was pretty benign, but it could be misconstrued.
No prob, bud. I don't want any trouble for the board
Post automatically merged:

Oh I just noticed which post it was. That does look pretty bad lol